Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

22 73.33%
  • no

8 26.67%
    Forum Member

Default NPQ Certifications

How many people out there are NPQ certified in something? And what can you be certified in through your state?
    Palmer
    NPQ FF2
    NREMT Intermediate
    NPQ Hazardous Materials Technician

Habersham County Fire Departmnet
    Station 11 "Fairfield"

Forum Member

okay I'll bite, what is NPQ?

Forum Member

Georgia accepts all NPQ certs as far as I know. For some, such as Firefighter I, the written test to become state certified is the NPQ written exam. SO in turn you end up with both state cert and NPQ, assuming you pass the NPQ practicals.

Currently I have NPQ Firefighter I, Instructor I and Haz-Mat Awareness. Soon to have Haz-Mat Ops as well as Technician.

NPQ is the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications. It is a national certification system for the states who recognize it. Like National Regaistry for EMT and Paramedic.

http://www.theproboard.org/
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Smile

Npq
    National Board On Fire Service Professional Qualifications.

I Have It. In Georgia, I Took The "npq Fire Fighter I" Class By A Certified Instructor In My County. The Final Exam Consists Of 200 Questions, If I Can Remember. Also, You Have Another Day Of Practicals. The Student Has To Pass All Practicals In Order To Pass.
    After I Passed, The State Of Ga Does Not Give Out A Certificate, They Give A Letter Stating You Passed. They Will Have It On Record At The State Fire Academy, Also. To Be "npq", I Sent The Letter To The National Board And The Board Sent Me A Certificate.

Basically, What I See, Is The Npq Is A National Registery Of You Completing A Firefighter One Course. It Has To Meet Certain Requirements In Order To Be Npq.

Someone Else May Be Able To Give More Info.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Although I haven't taken any of the tests, my state (NY) does offer national certification for FF I and II, Instructor I and II, Officer I II and III, Fire Investigator, Haz-Mat First Responder Ops, and Incident Safety Officer...
    My opinions are my own and do not, in any way, reflect those of any agency to which I am affiliated...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HolleyFF241 View Post
    Although I haven't taken any of the tests, my state (NY) does offer national certification for FF I and II, Instructor I and II, Officer I II and III, Fire Investigator, Haz-Mat First Responder Ops, and Incident Safety Officer...

Yes it does.......if you go thru an academy
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

So basically the same as IFSAC just a different company. Wow, now we have two organizations doing the same thing...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post
    So basically the same as IFSAC just a different company. Wow, now we have two organizations doing the same thing...

At least they accept each other's certs for reciprocity. My state doesn't accept anyones.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5
    The two have been around for quite a while, and they aren't "companies." NPQS is the accrediting body affiliated with NFPA, while IFSAC is the accrediting body affiliated with IFSTA (and maybe other organizations). Different training centers may be accredited by either one or both of these bodies, while some states have their own certification programs (this always seemed a bit of a waste to me...reinventing the wheel, and all). Since NPQS and IFSAC test to the same standards, they do grant reciprocity for each others' certifications, which allows you to move back and forth through states utilizing the two systems.

PA has two certifying bodies, the State Fire Academy (and its satellite local training centers), which are accredited through NPQS, and Bucks County Community College, which is separately accredited through both NPQS and IFSAC.

As for certifications, I've got several...

NPQS: FF-I, FF-II, FO-I, FSI-I, FSI-II, HMA
    IFSAC: FO-I, FSI-I, FSI-II

I'll probably complete my FO-II and HMO this year.
    Last edited by bobsnyder; 01-21-2008 at 12:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighter 1 & 2
    Fire Instructor 1
    (Vermont)

And I am hoping that Tennessee accepts them? Anyone from there know?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ltmdepas3280 View Post
    Yes it does.......if you go thru an academy
    I assume this statement refers to the fact that the tests are held at the fire academy?
    My opinions are my own and do not, in any way, reflect those of any agency to which I am affiliated...

Forum Member

As far as I know, Florida does not. Even if they did, Im sure it would be like any other out of state training they accept in that a Florida state test would still be required.

As such, all of my certs are State of Florida. FFII-EMT-Fire Officer-Fire Inspector-Fire Investigator and soon to be Instructor.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 01-22-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

to be honest it should not be about how many certs you have but the hard core desire and love for the job you have! just my opinion? just like a belly button! and why do u have to have a psych test during the hiring phase? we are all crazy for wanting to run into burning buildings, walk into hazardous materials, take care of pt's with god knows what dieases! wake up at 3 am for belly pains and care for them like they were our own parents or children. again just my belly button! peace out! leather for ever!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Exclamation Well...............

Maryland accepts, and issues, NFSPQB Certificates, for everything in the Book. I have Eleven, over the past 20 years, including FF I, II, III, FO I, II, III, IV, Instructor I, II, III, and Haz Mat Tech.

I have a different attitude than some folks on here, and that is that I think there should be ONE agency issuing Certificates, they should be issued Nationwide, and that every State should be required by law to issue and accept them.

My other Gripe about training, Here in Maryland, our Training is FREE. Period. Training may be thru the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute, (MFRI) or a County Training Academy, BUT, there is no charge to the student or his/her department. ANYONE taking any Fire Training MUST be a member of a Department BEFORE starting Training. Personally, I have a huge problem with places like Florida where have to be trained before getting on a department, and you have to pay for it yourself.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    I have a different attitude than some folks on here, and that is that I think there should be ONE agency issuing Certificates, they should be issued Nationwide, and that every State should be required by law to issue and accept them.
    That would be soooo nice.

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    My other Gripe about training, Here in Maryland, our Training is FREE. Period. Training may be thru the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute, (MFRI) or a County Training Academy, BUT, there is no charge to the student or his/her department. ANYONE taking any Fire Training MUST be a member of a Department BEFORE starting Training.
    In some ways, Maryland is so far ahead of the rest of us...

Default Tennessee Acceptance

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    Firefighter 1 & 2
    Fire Instructor 1
    (Vermont)

And I am hoping that Tennessee accepts them? Anyone from there know?

Tennessee is now a IFSAC state. They moved over to IFSAC back in 07 if Im not mistaking. Im in Ga now and I took all my fire classes through Tn before they swapped. Im finishing up NPQ 1 now and hope to have NPQ2 and Instructor 1 by next year.

John Sharp
    NRP

Forum Member

SAme here GT, got my NPQ's in Georgia as well. The only two I have right now though are FFI and HAZMAT Ops. I still have to send off for the certificate though, right now I just have the form sating I'm certified. I know it helped me with the vol department here. All I have to do is JPR's now instead a going through yet another probie school.

Forum Member

Nice use of the search feature.

To add to my original post, I now have NPQ FF2, HazMat Ops and Tech, Inspector 1, and Technician in Rope, Confined Space, Trench and Structural Collpase. Apparatus Operator is on the list of things to do. Multiply each by $15.00 and it will make you cry.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post
    Which is one reason why the creation of IFSAC was something of a controversy at the time. It was (and still is) redundant.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobsnyder View Post
    The two have been around for quite a while, and they aren't "companies." NPQS is the accrediting body affiliated with NFPA, while IFSAC is the accrediting body affiliated with IFSTA (and maybe other organizations).
    The Pro Board isn't "affialiated" with NFPA. It was created by the Joint Council of National Fire Service Organizations (early '70s) and bases it's certifications on professional standards it encouraged the NFPA to create.

IFSAC came out of Oklahoma State University (home of IFSTA which also bases its training programs on NFPA professional standards) essentially as a direct competitor to the Pro Board (early '90s) during its reorganization during that period.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Thread Information