Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Video Taping Ridealongs?

What do you all think of video taping ride alongs to put up on youtube? Thanks!

I don't see why there'd be a problem unless you're company has SOG/SOP's against those things. I'd speak with you officer or chief to see if they're ok with it before you put anything up.

Forum Member

Default Be Careful

You need to get permission from EVERYONE who's face is going to be clearly seen that your riding with. You have to remember that lots of people will be watching and, the guys your riding with can and do get in trouble for some of the things in the videos. Also, before you post it, let someone who knows better watch it to make sure your not going to show something you shouldn't.

Its not your place to be taping that unless authorized to do so by Command Officers. I know that on calls that I ride along on, I will most likely be too busy to be taking any pictures or video, but on calls that I just go to on my own, I am always taking pictures. I have been authorized to do so and do it all the time.

Quit worrying about putting videos on youtube to show off to the girls at school and start learning an thing or two about fire/ems. as an explorer, you should be paying attention to what the firefighters/ems personnel are doing and if they need anything. A good explorer will anticipate what is going to be needed and get it before they ask.

Like I said, focus on the scene, not on how much film you have left.

I cannot emphasize to you enough how stupid it is to take video just to put on you tube to show off.

Lunch conversation the day after joe Schmo Explorer tapes his ride along:

"Hey Allison! Guess what? I got to ride with the fire department yesterday and we did all these cool things, like sit in the station all day, then take an 85 y/o woman with low blood sugar to the hospital. It was so cool."

*** Not saying that you aren't a busy dept, but you get the idea.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

video taping ride alongs to put up on youtube
    For what purpose?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

So you can get the girls maN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUH!

HOW ELSE WOULD YOU GET GIRLS MAN!?!?!?!?!?
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post

You know what, thats probably the best advice to give. When I was an explorer I couldn't have imagined hanging out filming a call instead of helping out on the call. Exploring is for you to learn about firefighting, not video tape it. There are enough fire whacker videos on youtube, many of them make us look like real morons so why add any more. Use your ride time wisely. Unless you are given the specific task of creating official videos for your dept, leave the cameras at home.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Its not your place to be taping that unless authorized to do so by Command Officers. I know that on calls that I ride along on, I will most likely be too busy to be taking any pictures or video, but on calls that I just go to on my own, I am always taking pictures. I have been authorized to do so and do it all the time.

Quit worrying about putting videos on youtube to show off to the girls at school and start learning an thing or two about fire/ems. as an explorer, you should be paying attention to what the firefighters/ems personnel are doing and if they need anything. A good explorer will anticipate what is going to be needed and get it before they ask.

I cannot emphasize to you enough how stupid it is to take video just to put on you tube to show off.

Lunch conversation the day after joe Schmo Explorer tapes his ride along:

"Hey Allison! Guess what? I got to ride with the fire department yesterday and we did all these cool things, like sit in the station all day, then take an 85 y/o woman with low blood sugar to the hospital. It was so cool."

*** Not saying that you aren't a busy dept, but you get the idea.
    ::Cough::
    ::Cough::
    ::Sneeze::

What he said.

I really am sick. Missed 2 days of school this week (yesterday and today.)

And Jake, it's not cool to make fun of other people for the things you do...
    i.e. tell girls how cool it is to be at the station and then take a poor, old female to the hospital because she didn't eat her candy bar...

In all seriousness - I'm with mostly everyone else... No. Like RFRD said, on ride alongs, I don't even bring my camera (with the exception of ONE time, but that wasn't an "official" ride along. Long story) because if there are any runs, I'm usually too busy to even care to take pictures/video. To be honest, I don't really care to take pictures/videos on ride alongs any how. The one time I did have my camera, I was taking pictures of a crotch-rocket that had been on fire (out before I got there with the Chief and we were the first on scene) and those pictures went straight to the Deputy Chief's email and I got rid of them on my end.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by MFDExplorer11 View Post
    Three simple words:

Don't do it!

Okay. Technically, that's really four words, but hopefully you will heed them!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

I know at our department it is a big no-no to speak about details of calls we go on, let alone video tape it!

Don't you guys go over confidentiality and the art of having a tight lip?

god

I'm not really going to exert an opinion, just throw out there that if there are injuries involved, patients rights come into play...HIPAA

You Tube is full of video's showing what not to do.

By videoing it and putting it up, you're putting your whole department up for scrutiny that most of us don't want or need.

This is one I put up as an example and it amazes me the responses- some people simply don't get it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCUTKqXf-wE
    Luke

I did not mean once onscene, i meant the ride to the scene.

Forum Member

Absolutely NOT!! You dont understand how some people are and i would highly advise against it,there are some sort of privacy laws im sure about this, Not only that but why would you want to video tape a call? Honestly when ever we get a call and i show up and respond and am onscene im occupied with something or another 95% of the time and wouldnt have time to be video taping. Now if your not occupied while your onscene 95-100% of the time take the time then make the effort to go to the Chief Officer or Incident Commander and ask if they need something. On top of that Video taping calls is just not even something ive thought of doing and probably never will do.

I did not mean once onscene, i meant the ride to the scene.

You wanted advice...Here it is:

LEAVE THE DAMN VIDEO CAMERA HOME!

I hope that I have made my point! Good day.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

If you show up at my company as a "ride-along" and whip out a camera for any reason, you will be gone as soon as I can kick you to the curb. You will also be placed on the no ride / never hire list.

Hey dude, thats a great idea. I have always wanted to see videos like that. Just make sure its ok with your officer

Quote Originally Posted by explorer478 View Post
    Hey dude, thats a great idea. I have always wanted to see videos like that. Just make sure its ok with your officer

NO! IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!

Do not listen to the above poster.

To the above poster,

If you want to see that sh** look it up on you tube.

Forum Member

As long as its ok with everyone involved in the video and the Chief or higher ups, then it shouldnt be a problem.

Why is everyone saying its such a bad idea? I see no harm as long as the above criteria are met.

Quote Originally Posted by mfdbenji View Post
    As long as its ok with everyone involved in the video and the Chief or higher ups, then it shouldnt be a problem.

Why is everyone saying its such a bad idea? I see no harm as long as the above criteria are met.
    Because it was for the sole purpose of posting it on YouTube.

For training purposes or for dept website, use, etc, if it was approved by command officers, go for it.

But just to get the girls?

Please.

Grow a pair and just ask her for her number.

You should be focused on what you will need to do on scene, listening to the radio reports, listening to the radio traffic of first in units (eg- calling for mutual aid, etc, etc). And this is all while you are enroute.......which you claim is when you want to do the filming.

IMHO,

You shouldnt have time even on the truck to film.

Thread Information