Everyone goes home!

Default online fire science degree

has anybody done this and is it the same eduction as going to a regular college to get it

Forum Member

Eastern Kentucky University has Bachelors and Masters online.
    Check out: http://www.fireandsafety.eku.edu/undergradDegree.asp
    for more information or PM me for contact info for the department chair.

makes good girls go bad

You have to be able to spell, and use correct punctuation.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Online education is, in my opinion, more difficult than classroom education. I have my BS from UMUC in Fire Science. In order to complete online study, you have to be disciplined and motivated. You also have to have the intelligence and common sense to be able to work without someone holding your hand.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Regardless of where you get it a "real" college / university education doesn't involve any hand-holding.

It is important to identify your learning style. If you are able to absorb a lot of information from sticking your nose in a book and little contact with your professor then on-line may be the way to go.

If on the other hand you learn by listening and discussing topics with knowledgeable people then attending traditional style classes is the way to go.

They both require a large time commitment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Online education is, in my opinion, more difficult than classroom education. I have my BS from UMUC in Fire Science. In order to complete online study, you have to be disciplined and motivated. You also have to have the intelligence and common sense to be able to work without someone holding your hand.
    I agree. I'm not a fan of online classes. I prefer to sit in a classroom where I can focus more. However, others will be able to focus better on their own time with online classes. All personal preference.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did my associates online. It certainly can be tougher and you have to be disciplined to make sure you keep up with it all. I liked it though and if I do anymore, I'll do as much as possible online (who needs sleep anyway).
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

The worst part about the degree process is the non-major courses. It is difficult enough to work independently, but taking a class you care nothing about can create some real challenges.

I needed a lab science, so I took meteorology. I thought it was the online equivalent to basket weaving. It ended up being the hardest course I ever took. I was probably working 6-8 hours a week on that one course. I did well, but it required a great deal of energy.

Forum Member

I am currently in the online Fire Science Program through West Georgia Tech. Like others have said, you have to be self motivated. I usualy work 2-3 hours per shift on school work and I stay on track. And that is with two classes per quarter.

I am trying to figure out what I am going to do for a Bachelors after I get my Associates done.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I am currently in the online Fire Science Program through West Georgia Tech. Like others have said, you have to be self motivated. I usualy work 2-3 hours per shift on school work and I stay on track. And that is with two classes per quarter.

I am trying to figure out what I am going to do for a Bachelors after I get my Associates done.
    Depends on what your career aspirations are. Somebody already mentioned Public Administration. If you are looking for a lucrative career on the side or post-retirement, look at Fire Protection Engineering. WPI and U of Md have online programs. EKU has several good programs.

Forum Member

I think one of the nicer parts of not taking online classes is that you get to meet a ton of people in the service. For people just starting up and looking for jobs this provides a great mean to get your name out there and meet people from various departments. This is mainly why I have been taking classes vs online.

MembersZone Subscriber

What's tuition like when going for a degree online? Are you still paying for lab fees and whatnot?

Forum Member

I have a BS in Fire Protection and Safety Engineering from Oklahoma State University, as we all know, the "West Point" of fire degrees and I will be pursuing the MS from EKU when I can as a professional instead of as a college graduate. However, my Lt's are taking classes online from colleges, and I wouldn't deny them anything from it. It's true you can learn better from actual colleges because you simply can't get the amount of hands-on training from an online class as you can from traditional college, but its better than nothing. Good Luck!

Thread Information