MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chesterfield County

Hello,
    I am looking to learn a little bit about the Chesterfield county area, any information anyone could provide about it would be extremely helpful. I am looking to learn about the Fire Department, and other area demographics.
    Last edited by fire78n88; 01-21-2008 at 07:20 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Chesterfield is a large county (460 square miles I think?), and is one the counties that makes up the Richmond Regional area. The population is a little under 300,000, and is growing rapidly. The county has everything to offer: economically depressed areas, very wealthy areas, rural landscapes, and high-rises. It's the fourth fastest growing county in the state.

Fire protection is offered by Chesterfield Fire & EMS, a combination fire department. There are 20 fire stations with 5 more planned in the next 6 years or so. In addition, there are 4 volunteer rescue squads (ambulances) that fall under the CFEMS umbrella.

CFEMS employs over 400 personnel and has about 100 volunteers. There are combination stations (volly-owned stations with both career and volunteer personnel), integrated stations (vollies within a career station), all-career stations, and three all-volunteer stations. They work a 24/72 schedule, and the department is divided into 4 battalions on each shift.

The department is an ALS transport agency, and staffs about 8 ambulances 24/7, and about 5 more during peak hours. Furthemore, they work in cooperation with the Virginia State Police, and provide the flight medics for VSP Med-Flight 1. CFEMS is also one of the members of the Central Virginia Technical Rescue Team.

The department is well-funded and has been upgrading it's fleet over the past few years. Currently, they're waiting to take delivery of 6 Pierce Enforcer pumpers, a Pierce Dash 100' tower ladder, and a Pierce Quantum 100' RM aerial.

There are 18 career engines, 7 volunteer engines, 5 aerial devices, 2 heavy rescues, and a smattering of brush trucks, tankers, and other ancillary equipment.

Chesterfield is a wealthy county, and has top notch schools.

If you're looking to move to the area for a job, the other departments to consider would be Henrico County (20 stations, 525 personnel), the City of Richmond (20 stations, 400 personnel), and Hanover County (16 stations, 100 personnel). There are also some smaller career/combination departments in the area.

Hope this helped, let us know if there's anything else we can help with...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Sir, I thank you for the wealth of information!! I tested with Chesterfield Fire and EMS in December. Last week, I was called with a job offer. I'm stoked, this is my dream department! Do you know what I can expect from their academy? I have been running about 2 miles daily to prepare for the job.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Congrats on the job offer, you won't regret moving here. My department (next door to Chesterfield) has hired a couple of Michigan guys recently (does Blackman Twp sound familiar?).

As a state instructor, I teach with the Chesterfield folks quite a bit. Their academy is a lot like my department's - about 20 weeks or so. Obviously, the focus is on firefighting, but you'll also become familiar with EMS, tech rescue, and other disciplines of the modern fire service.

The discipline is tough, but fair. You'll be told stories of the guys who forget their gloves or helmets, and you'll probably hear about the 2 recruits that got lost during their PT run.

One thing you WILL have to do three times a week is The Grinder, a very intense physical agility test. I don't wanna give anything away, other than to say that your cardio, strength, and endurance will be tested every time your turn arises.

Best of luck, and contact me via e-mail or PM if there's anything specific to the area I can help you with. I grew up in Chesterfield and now live next door, but with family still there, I can find someone to help you if I can't do it myself.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey BoxAlarm,

Which next door fire department do you work for??

Let's talk fire trucks!

One that you're familiar with...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    The discipline is tough, but fair. You'll be told stories of the guys who forget their gloves or helmets, and you'll probably hear about the 2 recruits that got lost during their PT run.
    I remember that from when I lived up there! I vollied with one of the recruits who got lost. Didn't they have to do something funny like wear a sign around their neck that said "If found, please return to Chesterfield Fire Dept?" I knew a lot of the guys and gals from across the river. Seemed like a good group. (Of course, I was married to a Henrico FF so my loyalties are with them. Just love those "slime-lime" trucks! )
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

Forum Member

I just received my test date for Chesterfield County in the mail the other day. I to will probably test for the county as well.

Thread Information