Default army national guard skid units.

I have a question about the Army National Guards role during a major wildfire. What I do know is that the Air National Guard uses their aircraft to attack fires using C-130 and Blackhawk aircraft. But, does the Army National Guard fight fires at the ground level. From, what information I have gathered they are used for evacuation and traffic control in the interface. But I did read some information on them being trained in Florida to fight wildfires. As it seems they are used mostly for policing duties.
    I have seen the TFFT made by Oshkosh, it is supposed to be able to fight wildfires but I have never actually seen it in use. What images I have seen of it are always Oshkosh advertising photos and DOD images talking about it's abilities and uses. To me it seems that a vehicle like that would be hard to get hold during a wildfire season with multiple fires raging across the United States. If the Army National Guard is used a lot do they come to fires with skid units on their 5 tons or does the Forestry Service supply skid units or what. Any images of Army National Guard vehicles being used or any specs on skid units they use would greatly be appreciated Thanks K. Massie

Forum Member

The CA ARNG has an Engineer BN doing fire suppression. They have some pretty interesting "apparatus" from their site pics I've seen... I'll look it up and see if you can still get to it from a civilian domain. J6 has been tightening up the "internet security" reins quite a bit, to include even unit websites hosted on NGCA servers.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Default re: carng

Yea the California National Guard has a engineer detachment. We are the 233rd Engineer Detachment out of Roseville, CA. We got 2 Tactical Engines and a few humvees with skid mounted pumps. We are a small unit, operating at 15 people. I got some pictures if your interested. Send me a message, and if you have any questions let me know.

Forum Member

Post State Guard part of Forest Protection system in Kentucky.

Forest Protection System in Kentucky

The Kentucky Division of Forestry has established a statewide system of wildland fire prevention, detection, suppression, and law
    enforcement. The division supplements its wildland fire suppression
    capabilities through cooperation with rural fire departments, the
    Kentucky National Guard, Kentucky Department of Corrections, and
    various Federal agencies. The division provides so limited training,equipment and vehicles by way of the VFA program to the 800-plus volunteer fire departments in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.Wildland Fire Activity Kentucky has two official wildland fire hazard seasons as estab-lished by state statute. The spring wildland fire season runs from Feb.
    15 through April 30; the fall wildland fire season begins Oct. 1 and
    runs through Dec. 15. Based on 1993-2002 data, on average the
    Kentucky Division of Forestry annually suppresses 1,498 wildland fires
    burning 67,192 acres.The Kentucky National Guard has a long history of providing ground pounders during extended fire seasons mostly in Eastern Kentucky along with air support.I am not aware of any skid units provided by the Kentucky Guard.Some of the guard training my be questionable due to the pressing fire season in some cases, but they are prepared and ready when they hit the fireline.
    Last edited by coldfront; 02-11-2008 at 12:39 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Default Guards role in wildland firefighting

I am an active member of a national guard firefighting team and we have used the new TFFT in several training events with different local agencies to request the national guard is an easy thing to do however it might take up to 24 hours to process the request just because of the red tape. The best thing to do is contact your local national guard firefighting team and work with them to get the correct contact info, in CA all requests have to go through CAL EMA, then through the Cal Guard State HQ, then to the unit in charge of the firefighters then the firefighters finially get the word to go, it seems like a lot of work however once the request is made it can happen fast, depending on the time of day, all parties involved have a 24 hour POC in cases of emergency. I hope this inforamtion helps you in your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by 32degrees View Post
    I have a question about the Army National Guards role during a major wildfire. What I do know is that the Air National Guard uses their aircraft to attack fires using C-130 and Blackhawk aircraft. But, does the Army National Guard fight fires at the ground level. From, what information I have gathered they are used for evacuation and traffic control in the interface. But I did read some information on them being trained in Florida to fight wildfires. As it seems they are used mostly for policing duties.
    I have seen the TFFT made by Oshkosh, it is supposed to be able to fight wildfires but I have never actually seen it in use. What images I have seen of it are always Oshkosh advertising photos and DOD images talking about it's abilities and uses. To me it seems that a vehicle like that would be hard to get hold during a wildfire season with multiple fires raging across the United States. If the Army National Guard is used a lot do they come to fires with skid units on their 5 tons or does the Forestry Service supply skid units or what. Any images of Army National Guard vehicles being used or any specs on skid units they use would greatly be appreciated Thanks K. Massie

Thread Information