Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Thinking of becoming a firefighter...Little help, please?

I have been looking into joining the National Guard, in fact have been getting myself into the physical shape necessary to join, and one of the MOS that I have been really interested in happens to be fighting fires. Going into the guard is a means to an end; the end, of course being school and a better job/career.
    I am 26 years old, pretty intelligent (at least I used to be), and have been able to withstand pretty much any physical task that has been thrown my way (Concrete, masonry, manual labor/dummy jobs), but haven't found anything rewarding about any of it.
    I was hoping to get a little feedback, as far as what firefighters felt about their profession (candidly, I hope). If anyone could help me, by giving their insight on whatever they feel pertinant (Salary, the hours, physical requirments, training, ability to attend school, etc...) I would really appreciate it. I'm really floundering in life, and want to be able to provide for my family, at least a little better than I have been.
    Any information would help, even if it is negative feedback, because hey, everybody hates their job sometimes, right? If they didn't, It would be called fun and not work. Anyway, I hope someone responds....but thanks just the same for reading --- Robby, StL MO

Forum Member

Robby, like all jobs, firefighting has its ups and downs. 99% of the firemen that I know will tell you that this is the greatest job in the world. Personally, I love the job, wouldn't trade for anything. But at the same time, I'm 21 and single. For me, the job is perfect. Money is decent with plenty of time to work part-time. At my department, we work 24hour shifts, and I love it. Now if I were a family man, it would most definatly be tuffer. So you have to use your own judgement as to if the schedule would be right for you, that is if the department you want to work for works 24hr shifts.

As far as getting satisfaction in the job, you get it everytime you get on that truck. It feels good helping others, but its something that you have to want to do. This isn't a job that you show up to to receive a paycheck.

The station life all depends on the crew you work with. I work with a great crew. We all know our job, work together as a team, and have fun. Jokes fly all day long and you get a lot of healthy laughs. It's a home away from home.

Hope this helps you at least a little. Best of luck to you!

Thread Information