MembersZone Subscriber

Question Door Tags ("While You Were Out")

We are looking at implementing a door tag program to inform residents if the fire department responded to their house. Essentially, we would leave a "door tag" at the residence if no one answered the door and no key holder showed up.

Does anyone have a similar program in place? If so, do you have any sample door tags? I am looking for sample wording and what "fill in the blank" fields you have (i.e. We did/did not make entry, type of alarm, etc.)?

Forum Member

My department does not have a "door tag" policy. My concern, as an ex-cop, is that the presence of a door tag could be used as a marker by some elements of society as an invitation to help themselves to the empty residence. Kind of like the overflowing mailbox, newspapers on the front steps, etc.

Forum Member

Could you be more specific on why you responded to this residence.

If you responded because of a fire alarm, would the alarm company not notify the owner of an alarm activation and that the FD showed up and whether they made entry or not?

In our area, the alarm company would first call the residence. If no one answers, then they would leave a message concerning what alarm was activated.

Now if we made entry, I believe the owner would know it
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

The idea is for a tag to use for automatic fire alarm responses. We want to increase our "customer service" efforts to the public. One of the majority of calls we respond to is automatic alarms.

After giving it some thought, I think a better approach is a flyer / pamphlet that has ideas/suggestions on how to prevent false alarms. Any ideas for this approach?

B Shifter

There are two (2) situations that we leave door tags:

1) My FD installs free smoke detectors at an occupant's request. Typically, we receive a request from an inspector after the occupant calls and requests one. Once we receive the request, we call the occupant from the station prior to going to the address listed in the request. Often, the request form lists acceptable times to come and install a detector. If we go to the location at a specified time and no one is home, we leave a "sorry we missed you" door tag. This tag lists contact numbers to call and reschedule. It serves a few purposes: 1) to let the occupant know we were here, and 2) to let anyone in the FD chain of command know we completed the request from our end.

2) If we cause damage to a residence or building trying to ascertain if an emergency exists, i.e. automatic fire alarm or medical alert. If we cause damage, we leave a contact number so we can explain the circumstances.
    Last edited by rjtoc2; 04-27-2008 at 09:34 AM.
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

Thread Information