Default Non-Veteran wanting to work for Military

Hey everyone, I am wondering what the chances are for me to get hired on as a civilian at a base for a firefighting position? I have applied to a few places on usajobs and am just curious if I even stand a chance. I am currently FFTC certified in the following:
    FFI and II
    Haz Mat Awareness
    Haz Mat Ops
    EMT-B Nationally Registered

Will these transfer over to DoD certs and since I do not have any Veteran points, do I stand a chance?

Thank you for you any help you can provide.

Forum Member

Where did you get your certs? IF by FFTC you mean Firefighter Training council in MI, you are screwed-no reciprocity. DoD only accepts IFSAC or NPQ certified training. There is also a big push right now for new hires to be HazMat Techs, Driver/Operators, and especially paramedics.

Northeast bound

Where are you looking to go? Some bases have coops with the local colleges and the fire science students are kinda like apprentices on the base. You'll start out as a gs-3 or 4 but chances are likely if they have an opening after your schooling that you can get on full time.

GunnyV- Yes, I am in MI and those are FFTC from Michigan. So that doesn't sound like a good thing. Are you currently working for the military here in MI?

blownmerc- I am looking to go anywhere really...either overseas or out west would be nice or even here in Michigan now too...but with the economy it is tough.

Forum Member

Your goal may be to work at/for DOD. Don't forget about other federal agencies that can assist with training and time (in the federal system). Prove yourself somewhere in the federal service and you also have a shot at applying/transferrring when a position comes open at a DOD facility.

Northeast bound

Have you looked into the reserves? I got many of my certs as a firefighter in the AF reserves. You'll be able to volunteer or be volunteered for tours in the desert to get vet preference points. That will help you with getting hired as well.

Forum Member

spartylax,

I'm a career civilian firefighter outside of Detroit and a MSgt in the USMC Reserve. My Reserve job is the Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting Chief. I lateral moved into the ARFF job because I was a firefighter, and had to challenge all the tests to get my DoD certifications. I have had to send Marines who are also career firefighters to the DoD Fire Academy to challenge the tests. Others from Ohio have had no problem because Ohio's is an IFSAC approved program.

All DoD fire certifications are through IFSAC. NPQ has reciprocity, and are accepted. Michigan has no standing with either organization, and no reciprocity. I went to PA on a drill weekend and challenged the FF I/II. I got the Hazmat Ops through Selfridge Fire, and went to the South Carolina Fire Acad for the ARFF cert.

Even my fellow Marines who are certified DoD and been to Iraq 2 X with WSI have trouble finding a DoD job here. The current emphasis has been on Nat'l Registry Paramedics. They are also looking for the following DoD/IFSAC/NPQ certs :

FF II
    Hazmat Technician
    ARFF
    Driver/Operator ARFF
    Driver/Operator Pumper

I would not recommend joining the Reserve or NG for fire training, unless you really want to join the service. Few employers in this Michigan economy will hire someone they know will be gone for military duty as often as most of us have been the last 5 years. There are too many loopholes in the discrimination laws for companies to use to avoid hiring Guard/Reserve members.

If you want to stay in MI, and work DoD, your only option is to leave the state to get the right certs or join the military. If you want to be a civilian FF in MI, get your medic license and start hitting the tests. Many of the jobs get posted on the state firefighter's union website: http://www.mpffu.org/
    Check the menu on the left side of the page, click on News/Media, Job Openings.

Forum Member

Default Jobs

spartylax

Another means is the state employed ARFF slots that may or may not require you to join the ANG. Maryland and West VA require that you be a member of the Guard to work full time. But the job in PA is not required that you join. So take a look at http://www.dodfire.com/ and review the job sections. I never did get my ARFF/Pumper/Water Supply DO 's certs due to I took the early retirement from the ANG. My Fed DoD FC would not send in the paper work for me to obtain the DO's since it would have helped me along. I miss P-2's and P-4's. If want the PD for current open position GS-7/8 NIH FF send me a PM. That way you will know what the FC's are looking for and how to write the resume based off your background and training to the PD to get past the HRO.
    Last edited by gruntman; 01-30-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Had to add

thanks guys for all of your help...I will check out that information at dodfire.com

Thread Information