Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Forum Member BKDRAFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,146


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Foggy California
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Looked at the site, and two things occurred to me:

    1) That flushing sound...probably someone's career going down the toilet. Sure, he's standing up for what he believes in, but it'll definitely come at a high cost.

    2) Most of the stories so far (there's only 11) related are from people who have a few years in, heaps of certs, possibly a Medic ticket or an ASFS degree. Maybe that's not what the department is looking for? Perhaps there's been a number of problems in the past with "2/20" or "Fire-God on Paper" FFs coming into the dept and especially their Academy with know-it-all or "entitled" attitudes? Maybe they want "clean slates" to teach and train their way without resistance or "well this isn't how we did it at BFE FD".
    Then again, maybe it's just more PC BS.

    Who knows? I'm not defending the practice, just thinking of a possible explanation for the change in hiring practices.

    I do have to ask myself, though: if this wasn't a high-profile dept like LAFD...would there be websites relating the experiences of those not hired by the Podunk, CA FD?
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

    IACOJ--West Coast PITA

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    He's got 31 years on. What the hell does he care?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Foggy California
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    He's got 31 years on. What the hell does he care?
    Well, according to the little "About" blurb, he started the site because he cares a great deal about the department.

    I can understand the whole "getting stories and building a case" to prove that there's unfair, dishonest, "PC" or "affirmative-action" (outlawed in California in the mid-90s, race may no longer be considered a factor in hiring decisions) hiring practices going on. However, posting those stories on the website, that just makes things more difficult if he's intending to go to court over the matter...and if he's not intending to go to court over it, then what is the point, truly??

    And why just LA City? Why not other departments doing this, too? Hell, why even stop at the Fire Service? I know of PD/SDs that have hired "less than desireable" candidates for LE positions...who's going after them?
    I've been passed over for positions that I felt I was "highly qualified" for, in favor of a "less qualified" person... yeah, it sucks, but I moved on. Part of it was me honestly asking myself: was I truly the "best qualified" candidate, or did I just think I was? We're all really reluctant to admit that we're not the best at something we really want to do, something that means a lot, and that we put in lots of hard work and effort to reach for.
    But the key is to keep on reaching, and eventually you'll get there, despite the extra hurdles and distance you have to go--and it'll be all the sweeter for having had to go that extra mile to get it.
    "No one cherishes that which comes easily," or something to that effect.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

    IACOJ--West Coast PITA

  5. #5
    Forum Member BKDRAFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Why not other departments? This Captain isn't going to save the world. He is trying to improve and bring even more attention to the corrupt hiring practices of the Los Angeles City Fire Department. Move on? No. If people just accepted things and looked the other way things would never get changed for the better.

    LAFD does not have anything anyone can find that states what a "qualified" candidate is. They are a publicly funded agency and it should be public record.

    Hiring ex-gang members and passing on candidates with degrees, medic license, and fire experience with great backgrounds does not make sense.

  6. #6
    Forum Member BKDRAFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    He's got 31 years on. What the hell does he care?
    Some people don't coast there last few years before retirement.

    These horrible candidates they have been hiring have barley passed rookie school, and many are failing out. These people are backing them up and there life depends on it. This isn't a place where you screw up and burn the burger for not paying attention. Life's are at risk on this job.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Well, according to the little "About" blurb, he started the site because he cares a great deal about the department.

    I can understand the whole "getting stories and building a case" to prove that there's unfair, dishonest, "PC" or "affirmative-action" (outlawed in California in the mid-90s, race may no longer be considered a factor in hiring decisions) hiring practices going on. However, posting those stories on the website, that just makes things more difficult if he's intending to go to court over the matter...and if he's not intending to go to court over it, then what is the point, truly??

    And why just LA City? Why not other departments doing this, too? Hell, why even stop at the Fire Service? I know of PD/SDs that have hired "less than desireable" candidates for LE positions...who's going after them?
    I've been passed over for positions that I felt I was "highly qualified" for, in favor of a "less qualified" person... yeah, it sucks, but I moved on. Part of it was me honestly asking myself: was I truly the "best qualified" candidate, or did I just think I was? We're all really reluctant to admit that we're not the best at something we really want to do, something that means a lot, and that we put in lots of hard work and effort to reach for.
    But the key is to keep on reaching, and eventually you'll get there, despite the extra hurdles and distance you have to go--and it'll be all the sweeter for having had to go that extra mile to get it.
    "No one cherishes that which comes easily," or something to that effect.
    I don't mean what does he care about the LAFD, I mean what does he care about what they do to his career? He's got 31 years in, he can walk out the door tomorrow. What are they going to do to him?

    He's the best type of guy to tackle this problem and I applaud him.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Long story short, I am one of those who was too honest in their initial background. Somehow, I was also one of those who received a reinstatement letter (still have not received a strait answer into how this occurs except my resume is pretty darn good) and entered into backgrounds, in which I passed, but then that paperwork must have went to the same review board HR person- one long year putting myself and my girlfriend through an experience we never want to go through again.
    Last edited by Coastalwarvet; 10-18-2010 at 09:18 PM.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default

    What happened to this website? Did LA City settle? Did the CaptII get bullied into taking it down?

  10. #10
    Forum Member Theaxemancometh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Why not other departments? This Captain isn't going to save the world. He is trying to improve and bring even more attention to the corrupt hiring practices of the Los Angeles City Fire Department. Move on? No. If people just accepted things and looked the other way things would never get changed for the better.

    LAFD does not have anything anyone can find that states what a "qualified" candidate is. They are a publicly funded agency and it should be public record.

    Hiring ex-gang members and passing on candidates with degrees, medic license, and fire experience with great backgrounds does not make sense.
    Wow!!! Gang members? Did some of the candidates tell you that they were "ex-gang members" or was that anecdotal from someone with sour grapes, that didn't get hired? How do you identify them as gang members? Do they have that tattooed across their foreheads or were they throwin' up gang signs during the acacdemy? Just curious!

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theaxemancometh View Post
    Wow!!! Gang members? Did some of the candidates tell you that they were "ex-gang members" or was that anecdotal from someone with sour grapes, that didn't get hired? How do you identify them as gang members? Do they have that tattooed across their foreheads or were they throwin' up gang signs during the acacdemy? Just curious!
    I've been off this forum for a while. I can't speak for that forum member, but I had heard the same thing from a Capt in the department. The lawsuit, or what was trying to be turned into one, seemed to stem from the fact that the CaptII that started the site was a mentor to a great many. After having seen what was really being hired, and what was being passed up, the site began- and was seeming to snowball into a class action lawsuit.

    Is what it is. Say anything else and your that "typical burn out". I guess there is great quantity to really give it that "typical" tittle. With the math involved, there has got to be heaps and heaps of fire academy + AS in fire tech + EMT w/ experience etc etc guys/gals that have to get out of the aspiration game to make a living. And then to add salt to the wound, see an 18 year old w/ EMT cert from school get hired.

    IMO perspective candidates, get your 4yr degree in a plan B subject matter, not in something fire related or something just as useless to perspective employers, and get EMT-P above anything else.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Lafd Non-selected
    By BKDRAFT in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 11:56 PM
  2. Lafd Non-selected
    By BKDRAFT in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 10:09 PM
  3. Lafd
    By NYCTruckie in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
  4. Tavares Fla--New Emergency Manager Selected
    By captstanm1 in forum Florida
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 11:36 PM
  5. Lafd
    By dooley in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 06:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts