MembersZone Subscriber

Default 3 Houston firefighters injured

3 Houston firefighters injured while battling garage fire

A space heater used to keep pit bulls warm may have sparked a fire at a southeast Houston home on Monday that injured three firefighters, one critically.

The three, who were injured when a ceiling collapsed, were expected to recover.

Brandon Everett, 26, a five-year Houston Fire Department veteran, suffered major injuries related to smoke inhalation. He was in critical condition Monday afternoon at Memorial Hermann Hospital.

David Lee, 45, a 25-year veteran, and Abdias Dorville, 37, a five-year veteran, were expected to be released Monday night or today after being treated for burns.

"The good thing right now (is) everybody's been accounted for, and it looks like they're going to be OK," said HFD Executive Assistant Chief Rick Flanagan.

The fire was reported at 11:17 a.m. in a home on Gnarled Chestnut Court near Vermont Green Trail. As firefighters began battling the blaze, a portion of the ceiling collapsed on them, knocking Everett's air mask off his face, Flanagan said.

Lee and Dorville were burned on their hands and arms as they helped Everett out of the home. Everett inhaled an unknown amount of smoke as the three struggled to find their way through the smoke and heat, Flanagan said.

"You get in there and you can't see your hand in front of your face," said HFD Assistant Chief Jack Williams. "Sometimes the primary searches (for possible trapped victims) are done on your hands and knees."

At the hospital, dozens of fellow firefighters joined HFD officials in comforting the families of the injured colleagues.

"It's no different if it's a member of your family," Houston Fire Department Chief Phil Boriskie said. "These are members of our family."

Everett was placed inside a hyperbaric chamber to undergo treatment for lung exposure to carbon monoxide and excessive heat.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5472049.html
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Damn...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Default This sucks

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...9&sectionId=46

Injured Houston Firefighter Placed On Life Support

Posted: 01-24-2008
    Updated: 01-24-2008 11:55:22 AM

Story by click2houston.com

HOUSTON --

A firefighter who was injured while batting a fire at a northwest Houston house has been placed on life support, KPRC Local 2 reported Thursday.

Firefighter Brandon Everett, 26, was hospitalized with smoke inhalation after he fought flames at a home on Gnarled Chestnut Court near Vermont Green Trail at about 11:15 a.m. Monday.

Everett has been in critical condition since he arrived at Memorial Hermann Hospital. He has been with the Houston Fire Department for five years.

Two other firefighters suffered burns on their arms and hands. Firefighter Abdias Dorville, 37, is at Memorial Hermann Hospital in good condition and David Lee, 45, was treated and released.

The homeowner said the fire may have been started by a space heater his dogs may have knocked over in the garage.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

FIGJAM

The homeowner said the fire may have been started by a space heater his dogs may have knocked over in the garage.
    Stupid f***ken home owner!
    Luke

Gone.

That's as smart as putting a kerosene heater next to a stack of hay bales. Seen it happen, by the way. Barn was gone in no time.

Forum Member

On the HFD Local site it states Brandon Everett is still in "stable but critical" condition but progressing well.

Thank God!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Injured Firefighters

Houston has a great department. My thoughts and prayers go out to them. God Bless.

Forum Member

We got an email from our PIO saying FF Everette's condition has not deteriorated.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    We got an email from our PIO saying FF Everette's condition has not deteriorated.
    Good news Johnny, thanks for letting us know.

My thoughts are with Brandon for a speedy recovery.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

News Tuesday said that the FF was in the ICU but in stable condition...

correct me if i'm wrong Johnny46 but I believe he was intubated because of heated gases that he breathed in and has been the in hyperbaric chamber to help speed recovery.

I heard, you know how rumors go, that his face mask was knocked off when the garage fell in. But then again, its all hearsay.

I just hope things are going well.

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the update Johnny, just reacting to the article. Hopeful for a speedy recovery.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

The Brother is still on ventilator and in Stable but critical condition. I hope he gets well soon!

MembersZone Subscriber

local 341.org states that Brandon Everett is breathing on his own with assistance from a ventilator. So, hopefully he has a speedy recovery

Forum Member

Brother Everette needs our prayers. Keep him in yours.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

As of today, February 7, 2008, Brandon is making progress. He is still listed as critical but stable and is still in the ICU. Brandon is making great strides in his recovery. Thank you to everyone that has continued to pray for Brandon and our family. A special thank you to the Houston Fire Department and the Houston Fire Department Union.

Irene Everette and Family

Forum Member

Dear Fellow Firefighters, img059.jpg

As of yesterday, February 10, 2008, Brandon Everette was extubated. Today, during my visit, he was sitting up, talking and in good spirits. He has lost some weight, but he tells me he will be having a hamburger for dinner tonight.

The family once again asked that I express their thanks to the Houston Fire Department and the Houston Professional Firefighters Association.

Jeffrey Caynon
    President
    Houston Professional Firefighters Assoc.

Forum Member

Finally some good news in a year full of tragedy

MembersZone Subscriber

Good to hear. I am sure he has a long recovery ahead. Best of luck to him.

Sincerely,
    Chris Polimeni
    PGFD Engine 29
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Truckie

Good news to say the least.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

awesome to hear. get back to the house soon!

Thread Information