MembersZone Subscriber

Default Is this really needed

Does a volunteer fire department, who runs 377 calls a year, really need all these fancy rigs??? Who pays for this??? Are the tax payers getting the best bang for their buck by buying 6 front line pieces of apparatus to do what my company does with one rig in a couple of months??

http://www.somersetfire.com/apparatus.html

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    Does a volunteer fire department, who runs 377 calls a year, really need all these fancy rigs??? Who pays for this??? Are the tax payers getting the best bang for their buck by buying 6 front line pieces of apparatus to do what my company does with one rig in a couple of months??

If the taxpayers in that town don't have an issue, who are we to say anything?

That being said, I could think of some other things to spend the money on, but I don't live there.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 01-22-2008 at 06:25 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Savage / Hyneman 08'

You might want to ask them personally about this issue, if it really bugs you this much.

It would be a bit more classy ( though not much ) than opening it up for debate on a public forum when you know nothing about them.

I wish I could get upset over people I don't know having equipment I didn't have to pay for. Because that would mean I have nothing better to worry about!

Forum Member

They may run 377 calls a year, but there are many things you need to look at. What kind of a town are they? Mostly industrial and commercial? like my departments area? If so then for most commercial coverage areas it isnt to much. If there is mostly residential dwellings it maybe to much but then again there providing very good fire protection with the equipment they have if there well trained! They also might have major highways that pass threw there jurisdiction to warrant the squad and rescue rig. There is alot of variables to say they have to much bang for there buck.

I think they have some good leadership in the town to get what they have. Sombody along the way in the department ranks has proven to sombody that they needed the apparatus. kudo's to them! If only we all could get the support they are getting.
    Pere Marquette Fire Department
    "First in Last Out Crew"
    Engine 2911

Forum Member

Volunteer departments do not pay salaries. They probably have great community support. However, I am willing to bet they have a great grant writer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe they made do with crap in previous years.

Maybe they do a good job with fire prevention and public education.

Maybe they're planning for future growth.

Better to have and not need than to not have and need.
    Even better if there was some good financial planning that allowed these rig purchases without much wallet pain.

Somebody is signing the checks for the rigs.

Somerset incident report totals for 2007.
    http://www.somersetfire.com/index.php

MembersZone Subscriber

Lookie here!
    They're also getting a new Hazmat building AND they got a grant for new SCBA.
    Looks like Somerset is a county wide dept?
    They seem to have their act together. Good leadership and teamwork.

http://www.somersetfire.com/news_results.php#grant
    Somerset Volunteer Fire Department receives grant
    By THE DAILY AMERICAN
    Monday, October 1, 2007 12:25 AM EDT
    The Somerset Volunteer Fire Department received a $150,000 grant from the Department of Homeland Security. The department has applied for the grant three times.

The grant will be used to buy new self-contained breathing apparatus, Fire Chief Pete Barnhart said. “We're looking at replacing 30 SCBAs,” he said. “The ones we have now are about 11 years old (and) they no longer meet National Fire Protection Association standards. We're buying new ones that will meet the new 2007 standards.” Barnhart said the only thing that was different about this grant application was applying for the SCBAs “This is the first year we applied for self-contained breathing apparatus,” he said. “We're very grateful for it.

It will provide a lot better protection for our firefighters going into a burning building.” The department would not have been able to upgrade its equipment without the grant. “Without this grant, replacement would not have happened,” Barnhart said. The grants are provided to fire departments and nonaffiliated emergency medical service organizations to enhance first responders' ability to protect the health and safety of the public and that of first-responder personnel, according to a press release.

Forum Member

Would you think that was too much equipment if it was YOUR house that were going to?
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Go to Long Island NY, then you can comment on this. LI has more rigs than NYC and they are all new and loaded!

MembersZone Subscriber

What's it to you? What happen, did they kick you off the dept. or somthing? Are you running for town board or County Commisoner? Would you sleep better at night if they responded to calls on a horse and buggy, put the fire out with a bucket. Here a suggestion, instead of getting ****ed off at these guys for what they have, why not have a heart to heart with your brass, and tell them how crappy you think your building and truck is. But it probably pays better/easier to hack on these guys. Now it's just a suggestion, You got do what you got do.

Good luck and stay safe

Forum Member

Preparedness.
    Flight 93 went down in Somerset County just to the east of the Borough of Somerset in the Borough of Shanksville (Somerset Boro and Shanksville Boro are just under 10 miles apart).
    Somerset VFD is not a county-wide department.

Look at what Shanksville Boro has... in 2005, they only had 84 runs. In 2001 they only had 77 runs.
    http://www.shanksvillefirecompany.org/
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

It will provide a lot better protection for our firefighters going into a burning building.” The department would not have been able to upgrade its equipment without the grant. “Without this grant, replacement would not have happened,” Barnhart said. The grants are provided to fire departments and nonaffiliated emergency medical service organizations to enhance first responders' ability to protect the health and safety of the public and that of first-responder personnel, according to a press release.
    Maybe rather than buy overpriced super fancy rigs, they could have spent the money on SCBA's and the grant could have gone to a dept that needed it.

I don't know how many guys staff their rigs, but what good is sending 6 pieces of apparatus if only 1 guy is on each?

I would much rather have one or two decent rigs and have some full time firefighters staffing them. And don't think I am vollie hating, becuase I was one. We didn't have a 10th of the rigs they have as far as being fancy with all the bells and whistles. We still got the job done.

But here is a dept that obviously has a lot of money and gets a lot of grant money that probably could have been split in half with someone who needed it.

MembersZone Subscriber

BTW I am in no way ****ed off. It does not affect me one way or another. I just think it is interesting how some of these places justify their spending. An all volunteer dept. right next to us just spent nearly $1 mil on a new bronto skylift. They only run about 400 calls a year and their tallest bldg is only 6 stories. I love where I work.

Forum Member

Next time I am in Pittsburgh (some time int he next 2 months), I'll ask the fire chief in Millvale Boro if he can find out or if he knows anything about them. I'd find it interesting to find out what kind of response times they have as well as how many people show up actively.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Exclamation Well................

I was going to ignore this and cruise on by, but it's like a train wreck, you gotta stop and look.

I only have one question:

Who Cares?? I certainly don't. What they do is their own business. I'd like to see every VFD in America have equal equipment, and here's the Kick:

It's not what your department does, It's what your department must be capable of doing.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Who gives a rat's *** what another FD has for equipment if it doesn't cost you a cent? It never fails to amaze me how people want to stir crap about other FD's equipment. Maybe the taxpayers LOVE their FD and give them all they want and more. Maybe more of us should learn from them about how to get it done.

Truckie

Nice looking equipment. If they have the means to maintain and staff the equipment as needed, good for them.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Proud Dad.

Default Somerset Twp and Borough

From Wikipedia

Somerset Twp
    the township has a total area of 64.3 square miles (166.6 km˛), of which, 63.9 square miles (165.5 km˛) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.1 km˛) of it (0.67%) is water.

Somerset Borough
    the borough has a total area of 2.7 square miles (7.1 km˛), all of it land.

This might not seem like alot, but the PA Turnpike bisect Somerset county and it runs right through Somerset twp and borough.

With this being a limited access hwy I am pretty sure that they have made planes for all sorts what ifs.....

In addition to that there are 24 twps, 21 boroughs, and only 12 fire depts(i could only find 12 online...there could be more)

It is a very rural area of the state, so they could be depending on themselves for along time before any mutual aid shows up.....

thank you.
    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/co50ffyetter/New%20Rescue5-1/th_Rescue51.jpg
    Yes the rigs are green. Can't lose a green fire engine in a parade, right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    Are the tax payers getting the best bang for their buck by buying 6 front line pieces of apparatus to do what my company does with one rig in a couple of months??
    Are you kidding me with this one? I'm assuming the dept. your on is career and you most likely have more than one station, correct? Of course you only need one rig then because you have access to other stations rigs and most likely some have specialties.

Are you just cruising departments websites to bash them?
    Can you give me a link to your website or list all your resources? Awww c'mon do you really need all that equipment?
    Last edited by edge1317; 01-22-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Back In Black

Maybe rather than buy overpriced super fancy rigs, they could have spent the money on SCBA's and the grant could have gone to a dept that needed it.

I don't know how many guys staff their rigs, but what good is sending 6 pieces of apparatus if only 1 guy is on each?

I would much rather have one or two decent rigs and have some full time firefighters staffing them. And don't think I am vollie hating, becuase I was one. We didn't have a 10th of the rigs they have as far as being fancy with all the bells and whistles. We still got the job done.

But here is a dept that obviously has a lot of money and gets a lot of grant money that probably could have been split in half with someone who needed it.
    This thread is pretty ridiculous. You have no idea what this department does, how it's funded, etc etc...

Making a LOT of assumptions based on -0- knowledge.

I see an aerial from 1983 on that page, and you know what? It appears that they take good care of the equipment. I hardly think a 25 year old aerial is a sign of abuse.

Since you have all the answers..

How many houses do they have?

What is the size of the area they cover?

How exactly are they funded? They might have bought those rigs themselves, do we even know that tax payer money was used (other than the grant)?

Maybe all 377 fires were working fires, do you know what the number of working fires was?

What an irresponsible thread, to highlight one department based on a few pictures on a website.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I wish my dept had thier first due piece. I am a little jealous.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

Nice looking rigs. Hats off to them for running a proffesional looking volunteer department. I'm happy for them. Sure the nice equipment goes along way in recruiting new menmbers too.

Somerset Fire, you're doing something right. Keep up the good work.
    Drew Lyman,
    "Dear Chief, much has happened since we talked last..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    How exactly are they funded? They might have bought those rigs themselves, do we even know that tax payer money was used (other than the grant)?
    Even if all of that is true ( I left out the almost 400 WF's 'cause...come on), it really says something about fire protection in America, doesn't it? These guys have about one piece of apparatus for every 42 calls they go on.

Meanwhile, Lawrence burns--possibly with 20 fewer firefighters than they had before, which wasn't enough. That Federal funding sure seems fair, doesn't it?

"Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me."

Here is a link to some of Lawrence FD's recent fires. Sleep tight, Somerset VFD.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by clancyxdogg View Post
    Even if all of that is true ( I left out the almost 400 WF's 'cause...come on), it really says something about fire protection in America, doesn't it? These guys have about one piece of apparatus for every 42 calls they go on.

Meanwhile, Lawrence burns--possibly with 20 fewer firefighters than they had before, which wasn't enough. That Federal funding sure seems fair, doesn't it?

"Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me."

Here is a link to some of Lawrence FD's recent fires. Sleep tight, Somerset VFD.
    So how many pieces of apparatus should they have? What's the correct ratio?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    So how many pieces of apparatus should they have? What's the correct ratio?
    At 400 runs a year, maybe none. How many 2008 SCBA's do they need?

Thread Information