Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Unhappy Just makes you shake your head ...

This was just a few blocks from where I live ... had to go past the scene on the bus to go to work.

Man dies after crashing car into building
    Bartender tried to stop him from driving; alerted police
    Rob Shaw, Times Colonist
    Published: Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Victoria man who spent the night drinking at an Esquimalt pub, and ignored a bartender's plea to not drive, was killed yesterday morning after crashing his car into the side of a building.

The man, whose name has not been released, had been drinking at the Tudor House Pub until around 1:30 a.m., say police.

A bartender there, who had been serving the man since 8 p.m., tried to convince him not to get in his car and drive home, said Michael Holmes, pub owner.
    Car struck building near Bay Street and Catherine Street intersectionView Larger Image View Larger Image
    Car struck building near Bay Street and Catherine Street intersection
    Ray Smith, Times Colonist

"The customer insisted on saying he was going to drive home. The employee said, 'If you drive home, I'll call police with your licence plate number,' " said Holmes. "From my employee's perspective, he was not in any condition to drive."

But the man became abusive with staff, saying he only had four blocks to drive home, said Holmes. He left in his vehicle and the bartender called 911.

An hour later, around 2:30 a.m., Victoria police officers saw a car matching the bartender's description - a blue-green Pontiac Sunfire - speed over the Point Ellice Bridge, said Sgt. Grant Hamilton, media spokesman. It was travelling so quickly that police decided not to follow, he said. Victoria police do not engage in high-speed pursuits for minor offences because of the risk such a chase causes to public safety.

Five minutes later, officers got a call about a car that had sailed through the Y-shaped intersection of Bay Street and Catherine Street and crashed into the side of a commercial building, said Hamilton.

"We heard a faint bang, and then a few seconds later the cops were all over the place," said Bryan Gooder, 25, who lives in an apartment building next to the crash site. Gooder said he didn't hear any screech of tires.

It does not appear the man braked or swerved significantly before hitting the building, said Hamilton. It was also not his car, and police are trying to determine how he got it from the registered owner.

The car lodged into the side of a single-storey brick structure that at one time served as a distribution centre for local breweries.

"We're very fortunate he didn't kill anybody else, but somebody is dead here and it is a tragedy," said Hamilton.

"This individual obviously has a family and it is a sad situation. It is another example of when you get behind the wheel and you're drinking, major consequences and tragic results could happen."

rfshaw@tc.canwest.com
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

"From my employee's perspective, he was not in any condition to drive."
    But we are more than happy to keep serving him drinks for 5 1/2 hours....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FIGJAM

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    But we are more than happy to keep serving him drinks for 5 1/2 hours....
    That's exactly what I was thinking!

We have an education program here in Oz called, "Responsible Serving of Alcohol" which is about highlighting these sort of issues and the liabilities the bar tenders face...
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by lutan1 View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking!

We have an education program here in Oz called, "Responsible Serving of Alcohol" which is about highlighting these sort of issues and the liabilities the bar tenders face...
    Oddly enough (considering the article) we have a similar thing in Canada. I am wondering if anything will come out of it though. I will contend that the bartender made some effort to prevent this, but just how much and would it be "considered enough" in a court of law? Stand by for the law suite from the family.

Something else too, a homeowner who hosts a private party at home can also be held accountable - I think there is a specific case in this regard, but not 100% sure on that.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 01-24-2008 at 09:19 AM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information