Forum Member

Default LODD Paintsville KY

Two people were killed Tuesday morning after a coal truck hit them on a snow-covered Johnson County road.

It happened around 9 a.m. on U.S. 460, not far from the Magoffin County line.

Police say it started after Erica Brown, who was pregnant, was involved in a minor accident. Police and paramedics were called to the scene.

While that accident was being cleared up, police say a coal truck lost control on the road, and slammed into both Brown and Paintsville EMS Director Christa Burchett. Burchett was helping Brown into an ambulance at the time.

Police say it appears the coal truck was coming over a hill and braked, but skidded into the accident scene instead.

Brown died at the scene, while Burchett died at a nearby hospital. No other serious injuries were reported.

Burchett was also Paintsville's assistant fire chief. All of the firefighters and EMS personnel who worked with her were met by counselors Tuesday afternoon to help with the grieving process. The 33 year old is survived by her 14 year old daughter.

Republished with permission from WKYT-TV

Funeral will be Sunday Jan. 27th at 1300 hrs at the Louisa Middle School Gym in Louisa KY. A full firefighter service will be observed.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

My condolences to the Paintsville EMS and Fire Departments and the Burchett family for their loss.

My thoughts are also with Erica's family .... how very sad.

Sleep in the arms of the angels, Erica and Christa.

Forum Member

Default Updated info

The funeral for Christa Burchett, Paintsville Fire-Rescue-EMS assistant chief and EMS director, will be held Sunday, Jan. 27, at Lawrence County Middle School, 9 Bulldog Lane, Louisa, in the gymnasium at 1:00 p.m. There will be a public safety briefing at noon before the funeral.

Visitation will be held on Saturday, Jan. 26, from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the school gymnasium.

Wilson Funeral Home in Louisa is in charge of the arrangements.

This will be a full firefighter funeral. If you plan to attend with apparatus, you must be on site by 11:00 a.m. Sunday. Questions concerning apparatus can be directed to Ron Pope at 606-624-5021.

Questions concerning the visitation and funeral can be directed to Ronnie Day at 859-608-4652
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Thread Information