Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default A quick question

Around 6 months ago I decided to become a firefighter. But I'm going to go to my local University and get a bachelors degree. And I'm thinking about joining my local Volunteer Department while in College to get some experience and a taste for the career. But I'm somewhat skeptical about how much I can actually stretch my time while in college for the Department. So I was wondering if that's even possbile for me to do.

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasRyan View Post
    Around 6 months ago I decided to become a firefighter. But I'm going to go to my local University and get a bachelors degree. And I'm thinking about joining my local Volunteer Department while in College to get some experience and a taste for the career. But I'm somewhat skeptical about how much I can actually stretch my time while in college for the Department. So I was wondering if that's even possbile for me to do.

Ryan
    Sure, it's possible. It will depend on how you manage your time. It will also depend on how much of a commitment in time the FD requires. Do alot of research before you make the commitment and find out you do not have the time.

Lots of kids go to college and enjoy the volunteer fire service at the same time. Just remember-college comes first.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

If you want it bad enough you will make time for it. I was a Reserve, going to college, and working 50+ hour work weeks on an ambulance. I'm not going to lie to you. It was rough. Especially on the relationship. But I got it done and had a lot to show for it at a very young age.

Good luck, and never give up.

Gone.

If you look around, see if you can find a Volunteer department that has live-ins. You can live in the station and run calls, and go to college at the same time.

Yea definately. I am in EMT right now and go to the firehouse everyday. You just got to have good time management skills.

Forum Member

Default question

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasRyan View Post

Ryan
    down their i dont know the rules but i am sure if you talk to your professors they will under stand what your doing but make sure collage comes first!!!

Thread Information