Forum Member

Default Anyone seen the FDNY Super Pumper lately???

Dear sirs.

I'm a fire buff from Denmark trying to find out what happend to the FDNY Super Pumper. I once heard it was sold to a private owner?

Have any of you seen it lately - and could you share photos?

Best regards
    kristensen

Forum Member

The Super Tender is owned by a gentleman in California. It has been fully restored, and is a common sight at parades and musters in California.

The Super Pumper is owned by a gentleman in Michigan I believe. From what I understand, it is undergoing a **cosmetic only** restoration- the cost to rebuild/restore the Napier Deltic 18 cylinder diesel engine and the DeLaval 3-stage pump would be too great. Here are some spy pictures sent to me about a year ago. As you can see, it does appear to have undergone a cosmetic restoration.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 08-15-2009 at 03:48 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Smile Super Pumper

You can purchase a die cast replica of the Tender, Pumper, and 3 Satellite Engines from code 3 collectibles at www.code3.net. I have the set handing on my wall.

Forum Member

Dear Sirs.

Thank you very much. Nice pictures. Glad it's not a wreck.

Hope to have more info - and a recent photo of the pumper would be super.

Can anyone help?

Default Super pumper

The super pumper is in a private museum collection in Michigan. I cant remember the city. I recently found it by searching New York super pumper. Thecollection includes 100 pieces of apparatus. The owner is a retired firefighter.

Default The super pumpers home (website)

Ok I found the web site. toyandfiretruckmuseum.org it is located in Bay City Michigan.

Forum Member

Default thank you

Hi ffcth67.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been online for a while.

Thank you so much for the link. I'm so glad the Super Pumper is "alive".

Best regards
    kristensen

Forum Member

I have to ask what on earth was this thing used for. I am not being a smart ***** i am really wondering.

Default Other part to the super pumper

Once we were buffing in New York and we stop at the station were the super pumper was housed. At that time I think it housed at ladder 210 on Tillery St. They also had another piece of equipment there mounted on a truck that had a huge deck like water gun on it. What was that called and is there any pictures of it? This was in the early 80's.

Forum Member

The Superpumper and Super Tender were housed together at E211 and L119 on Hooper Street, over near the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Later on in life, they were housed at the quarters of E207 & L110 on Tillary Street.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobcharrette View Post
    Once we were buffing in New York and we stop at the station were the super pumper was housed. At that time I think it housed at ladder 210 on Tillery St. They also had another piece of equipment there mounted on a truck that had a huge deck like water gun on it. What was that called and is there any pictures of it? This was in the early 80's.
    The Superpumper and Super Tender were housed together at E211 and L119 on Hooper Street, over near the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Later on in life, they were housed at the quarters of E207 & L110 on Tillary Street.

You are referring to one of the "Sattellite" units. These were units that resembled an engine company, however they were not equipped with a pump or a tank. The deluge guns were manufactured by McIntyre or Intelligiant, with 5000+/- capabilities, depending on how fed and what tips were used.

Kennywood, the FDNY Superpumper System was designed by world renowned Naval Architect William Francis Gibbs, in conjunction with Mack Trucks. There were 6 main components (vehicles) in the system- The "Pumper", a Mack tractor with a custom-built trailer, the "Tender", another Mack tractor with a custom trailer, and 4 "Sattellites" as described above.

The system was designed with massive warehouse fires in Brooklyn in mind, (although the SPS would respond Citywide of course) fires that would tax and even devistate the local water mains. The SPS would respond on all third alarms, and most second alarms citywide. The Super Pumper itself, for lack of better terminology, was basically a land-based fireboat. It was equipped with a 2-stage pump, manufactured by DeLaval, and was capable of delivering either 4400 GPM at 800 psi in the pressure mode (for some reason I cant remember the pressures verbatim, I used to know them, but these sound about right) or 8800 GPM at 400 PSI in the volume mode. The pump was driven by a Napier-Deltic 16 cylinder diesel engine. When at full throttle, it could consume approx. 80 gallons of fuel in an hour.

The pump could only be fed by certain methods: the 2 preferred methods were direct feed from a fireboat, or, by suction from a static source such as the rivers. The Pumper itself carried 10 foot sections of 12" hard sleeves, that were so heavy, it had a small crane (you can see the crane as well as the suction intakes in the pictures that I posted) to lift and place the suctions into position.

Upon being dispatched to an assignment, the SPS Officer would respond ahead of the trucks, in an assigned station wagon (the usual FDNY batallion chief cars of the time.) He would repond to the Chief that "had the fire" and determine his needs, then determine the best ways to obtain and deliver the water for the chief. The pumper would either set up at a draft site, and the tender would forward lay into the fire, or the tender would reverse lay to the river, the hose would be fed by fireboat, and the pumper would be at the scene and boost the pressure on that end.

The Tender, again, a Mack tractor (an "F" model cabover) pulled a custom built trailer which carried approx. 5000' of 4.5" hose with screw couplings- massive hose at that time. The Sattellites all carried I believe approx 2000 feet of the same hose, as well as distributing devices.

I hope I got all that right, when I was younger I was a huge SPS buff. It's been a while since I have read any of my books on it. For more information on the FDNY Super Pumper System, read "The FDNY Super Pumper System" by Jack Calderone, published by Fire Apparatus Journal.

Forum Member

Dear FWDbuff.

Thanks for all the info. It's nice to see this unique piece discussed. I have mailed with the museum, where the Super Pumper is now, and I have been promissed pics.

Unfortunately I have not been able to get in contact with the owner of the Super Tender yet.

And to all: Please post any pics of the SPS you might have.

Best regards
    kristensen

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kristensen View Post
    And to all: Please post any pics of the SPS you might have.
    Do you have a copy of the book "The FDNY Superpumper System" by Jack Calderone, Fire Apparatus Journal Publications? If not, you need one!

www.fireapparatusjournal.com

Forum Member

Yes I have that book. But unfortunately it is not updated. So there is no pics of the SPS from precent day. Thanks!

Default Super Pumper

I have just found this web site and was very interested to read about the Super Pumper set.
    I do know who has the trailer but the driving unit was destroyed by fire.
    I actually visited the States and worked on the power unit which is a Napier Deltic diesel.
    Reading through the comments it would appear the trailer part of the Super Pumper is not on display.
    I would appreciate contact with anyone who can give me history of the units working life.
    Mike Baker

Default My Father

My Father was with the super pumper from it s start till 1974.

He Passed away very soon after Retiring .1983. He would have gotten a kick about its popularty now. I had purchased the book for his Grand kids and was wondering if anyone has any pictures with him on truck I have several of me on the truck from when i was small from old house and tillary street.

His name and mine .Joseph Dalla Chiara AKA Joe DC

some names I rember growing up

Willy Scales Charlie Ventrano Roy Flood

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedeltic View Post
    Mike, can you confirm this? How can you confirm it? When did this occur? If you scroll UP in this forum, you will see pictures that I posted less than a year ago of both the tractor and pump (trailer.) Both had recently undergone a cosmetic overhaul.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedeltic View Post
    I have just found this web site and was very interested to read about the Super Pumper set.
    I actually visited the States and worked on the power unit which is a Napier Deltic diesel.
    Reading through the comments it would appear the trailer part of the Super Pumper is not on display.
    I would appreciate contact with anyone who can give me history of the units working life.
    Mike Baker
    It has been confirmed that the tractor is still in existence- however without an engine. The Cab and trailer are now stored indoors in a museum.

The super pumper, and cab are located in Bay City MI. I live in Bay City and have seen them many times. They are owned by Jimmy Dobson, and are on public display at his Fire truck museum. The pictures above were taken outside of the museum building before they opened.

I was told that Mr. Dobson purchased the unit from a scrap yard, and rescued it from the torch in the nick of time. It is truly an amazing piece of equipment to see in person.

The museum also has over sixty other units that range in age from horse drawn on up. It is a great place to see.

Mr. Dobson had a large personal collection of hundreds of fire trucks. A few years ago he established the museum and opened his collection up for public viewing. They charge a very modest admission to help with the upkeep of the museum.

http://www.toyandfiretruckmuseum.org/

Thread Information