Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Online B.S. Degree HELP!!!

Any one who knows anything about online degrees in fire anything this is for you. I will shortly be ending my A.A.S. degree in Fire Science Technology from Luzerne County Community College in PA. I would like to continue my education and get a four year degree however I cannot pick up and leave my life, and job here in NEPA. So I have been digging and researching for an online fire science degree however I DO NOT WANT a fire service administration type degree. I have looked in several places and can not really find one that I know for sure is good. I do not want a place that just hands out degrees I want it to be respected!!! I know UMUC offers one but I was looking for a most cost effective alternative. Any one with any experience with any school offering an online fire science degree help me please!!!

Forum Member

Forum Member

Keiser University is a mix of admin and tactical. I did not know that Luzerne County offered an Associates.

Forum Member

LCCC offers the degree and it is follows the NFA course work for the most part. Along with the degree you must also go through the EMT-B Class.

Forum Member

http://firescience.eku.edu/

Two year online BS and they also offer a two year online MS as well in the field.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default no to columbia southern

i am in the process of going back to school to get my bachelors in fire science. I have been researching schools for about the last year. I thought columbia southern was a good idea and checked into it. It is NOT regionally addredited, it is only nationally accredited. So what you might say. What does this mean? This means that if you want to transfer credits from CSU to another accredited institution that most likely you CANNOT. Look up accrediting institutions on the internet, do further research BEFORE you spend your money. www.chea.org is a great place to start. I found this info out by looking at a firehouse forum and there was some smart professor who had a really long forum about it, He said that there are only 8 regionally accredited institutions in the US, you can find this info on the chea website. I've decided on Eastern Kentucky University and hopefully will start soon. Also, a word to the wise. If you're NOT already on a fire department a degree usually won't help to get on. It is however useful when going for promotional testing. I know this because I have an associates from Hocking College in southern ohio, (Nelsonville, OH). (great school by the way) I took 28 fire tests before I got on and as far as I can remember only 1 gave any extra credit for a degree. Good luck. Also if you are not already on a fd you might want to wait to get a degree due to the fact that some departments will offer tuition reimbursement. The cost of a bachelors in fs may be somewhere in the neightborhood of $20,000 or more. There are other good schools that have a partnership with FEMA through the degrees at a distance program (I think about 6 or 8) check it out do you're research. Good luck
    Last edited by dfiremedic15; 02-01-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: grammar/punctuation

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Try Empire State College - a SUNY school

www.esc.edu

Accredited and a fair amount of work for the degree curriculum.

Forum Member

Default Colorado State University program

I know you said you don't want an adminstration-related program, but Colorado State University (CSU) has an online program you might want to consider anyway because of its 2+2 feature and its general relevance to the field. Here's the link:

www.cm.cahs.colostate.edu/FESA/

Here's what their website says about it: The FESA degree is designed as a 2+2 degree completion program for fire and emergency services professionals looking to advance their careers. Students are strongly urged to complete an associate degree in Fire Science or a related emergency services field prior to enrolling at Colorado State University and must meet the standard admission requirements to CSU.

Mary Sovick

Thread Information