Forum Member

Default Probationary Firefighter Requirments

My department is getting ready to chance its fire department guidelines when it comes to probationary firefighters. A lot of departments surrounding us use blue helmets to signify a firefighter as still in probation. What does every else use, and what are your guidelines as far as probies riding the rigs and everything else? Completion of FF 1 and FF 2?

Forum Member

Probationary get a balck hat here, however it has a bright orange probie shield, instead of the regular company shield.

Probies can ride the rig once they get their gear, however, no packing up, and only limited calls, until you get your first responder, Essentials of Firefighting, and at least Hazmat Awareness. So you end up a gofer until you compleete our minimum set of certifications.

Plus the guys and girls here have to be able to trust you, and know you know your stuff. If I send you for a halligan, and you've been in more than 2 days, and you come back with a pike pole, we aren't gonna be friends.

MembersZone Subscriber

All of our Probationary Firefighters are issued helmets but no mask. After completion and passing of fire fighter 1 (180+ hr course). They'll be fit tested and issued a mask. They will do some air pack training which may include some controlled burns if the opportunity arises. Probation is normally 6 months.
    If they are a transfer, they are on probation for 6 months then issued/fitted for a mask. If for some reason they do not meet requirements, it could mean another 6 month probationary period.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

In my company, we always recommend new members to get FF1 within their first year membership. Once a member has completed fimiliarization on each of the apparatus, they made ride that truck. They are closely watched by the officers once they get qualified on the trucks.

Forum Member

in nj, most dept's use black hats with an orange shield. probies can go to all calls (manpower permitting) but can not go interior, or put a pack on unless they complete FF1. upon completion they get their black hat.
    These opinions and views are my own and in no way connected to my department. Stay safe brothers.

Forum Member

Our members must be 70% through a basic academy to start, and then within 12 months must have FF1,FF2, EMT-B to remain a member (volunteers)
    Probationary Firefighter

FF/EMT-B
    Paramedic in training..

Forum Member

In our department, probies are issued yellow helmets for a year. Once they've been on for a year, the members of the department vote as a whole and decide whether or not the proby is going to be on the department. Throughout that year the probies go through their basic and mandatory training, hazmat awareness and operations and their firefighter 1/2 training. Once they get their year and if they get voted on, they get their blackhats and new gear instead of the older used gear. There is no call limits or packing up. If they make the call and they have fire 1/2 they can go in. So you're pretty much a gopher until you have your 1/2

Forum Member

At our explorer post, we give probies yellow tactical tupperware while the regular members get black traditional helmets.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Yellow Helmets here with Trainee stickers on them. We (I've only been on for about a month and a half) can go on all "fire type" calls, no medicals until MFR is completed with the exception of mutual aid calls.

We can ride on the rigs once we clear on where everything is on them which has to be done in 45 days for all rigs regardless. On scene we can't do much other than being gofers but that's good for me, at least we can go even though we don't get that many "fire type" calls.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Yellow Helmet

I moved a few months back to another town in Nebraska. I had been the Chief in the town I came from. Even though I have every certification, I still get a Yellow helmet that says "Trainee" for six months. Once the guys got to know me I was allowed to back up and do about everything except drive. Which is not a problem because I'm not familiar with the area yet. I think this is a good practice. The Chief here has tried to trade me his white hat, but I am rather enjoying the break.
    Jeremy Quist
    Chief
    LVFD
    Laurel, NE

Not the end of the earth, but you can see clods falling off from here.

Forum Member

We give our probies the same black hats that we wear, except instead of a black or red engine or truck shield, they get a yellow "probationary" shield. In addition, our back patches which normally say "Community", our company name, say "Probationary 25" (25 is our station number).

Probies are probies until they complete FFI. If you transfer over, and have it completed, you are not a probie.

Probies can ride to any calls except mutual aid. They get the boot off the truck if a FF arrives and there is no room.

They cannot pack up, go in, or participate in any activities immediately dangerous to life or health.

Forum Member

Default Probies

In my department probies get a R on their helmets until thier first year is up and until they can respond they have a black line through the R. They get the same yellow hats we do but usually are a little mor ebeat up. They cannot respond on anything until they have taken the required classes and have completed the skills sheet for it(EMS skills sheet, Extrication skills sheet, Fire). They cannot go into a burning building until they have a burn-to-learn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by proby77 View Post
    In our department, probies are issued yellow helmets for a year. Once they've been on for a year, the members of the department vote as a whole and decide whether or not the proby is going to be on the department. Throughout that year the probies go through their basic and mandatory training, hazmat awareness and operations and their firefighter 1/2 training. Once they get their year and if they get voted on, they get their blackhats and new gear instead of the older used gear. There is no call limits or packing up. If they make the call and they have fire 1/2 they can go in. So you're pretty much a gopher until you have your 1/2
    Pretty much the same at my dept

Thread Information