Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Explorer/ Junior Recruitment

I was just wondering how other explorer/ junior posts recruit. Right now I'm looking for a new way to recruit, we have 3 explorers right now.

Word of mouth right now for us.. but we're getting pictures of training and stuff to include in a pamphlet to pass out.

Try having the Explorer's hand something out and inform their Guidance Counselors about the program so they can pass it on to kids interested in the fire service.

Forum Member

Smile

Just start talking to kids around your school. Thats how it all began in are area, put up posters and try recruting firefighters children

Forum Member

Smile

Here we only have 2 junior firefighters (me being one of them). As far as recruiting goes i havent reallly thought about that yet. Its on my list of things to do though.

Current members bring in friends of friends of friends who have friends that bring in their friends and so on. That and children of firefighters who are usually friends of friends also.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

For recruitment, we have several videos put together. We do demonstrations every year at a couple of local schools. Once July rolls around, our Post will be losing 4-6 members which will put us at 10 Explorers so recruitment this year will mean a lot more than it has in the past two-three years because we've been over 10 since then.

For the demonstrations, we have a powerpoint that we show that talks about the different certifications needed to be a firefighter and it shows all the different kinds of fire trucks used in the fire service. We then show 3 videos - an Explorer Post Video, the Departments Recruitment Video, and a video from Manassas VFD. The demonstrations also include a search and rescue drill using a maze made out of tables. Two of the Explorers don SCBAs and go on air to rescue a student volunteer "victim". This year, we are adding in a couple of other things - We are getting a the fire department's day shift crew to bring in their engine so we can show the students an actual truck rather than a bunch of pictures and videos. We are also going to allow the students to don our turnouts and go on air if they would like.
    Because I have it in good with my principle at school, he is giving us 2 hours this year for the demo (last year we just did a bunch of presentations for the freshman health classes) so we can have a sign up the week prior to the demo and we'll be giving the presentation to people who actually have an interest in firefighting as a career.

Video and Pictures from a demo last year-
    http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=DSCN0700.flv
    ^^RFRDxplorer and I in a FF-Down scenario
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSCN1215.jpg
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSCN1217.jpg
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSCN1213.jpg
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    For recruitment, we have several videos put together. We do demonstrations every year at a couple of local schools. Once July rolls around, our Post will be losing 4-6 members which will put us at 10 Explorers so recruitment this year will mean a lot more than it has in the past two-three years because we've been over 10 since then.

For the demonstrations, we have a powerpoint that we show that talks about the different certifications needed to be a firefighter and it shows all the different kinds of fire trucks used in the fire service. We then show 3 videos - an Explorer Post Video, the Departments Recruitment Video, and a video from Manassas VFD. The demonstrations also include a search and rescue drill using a maze made out of tables. Two of the Explorers don SCBAs and go on air to rescue a student volunteer "victim". This year, we are adding in a couple of other things - We are getting a the fire department's day shift crew to bring in their engine so we can show the students an actual truck rather than a bunch of pictures and videos. We are also going to allow the students to don our turnouts and go on air if they would like.
    Because I have it in good with my principle at school, he is giving us 2 hours this year for the demo (last year we just did a bunch of presentations for the freshman health classes) so we can have a sign up the week prior to the demo and we'll be giving the presentation to people who actually have an interest in firefighting as a career.

Video and Pictures from a demo last year-
    http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=DSCN0700.flv
    ^^RFRDxplorer and I in a FF-Down scenario
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSCN1215.jpg
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSCN1217.jpg
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSCN1213.jpg
    Yup what he said.

That whole demonstration thing started as a project for my freshman health class and kinda blossomed into what it is today. We also do demonstrations at open house and other exercises and drills that are open to the public.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Default recruitment

Work the parents at open house and school meetings.....so many are looking for something CONSTRUCTIVE for their kids to do......and explain that they have to support the program - driving to calls, etc

Especially kids that are shy...they need the shove - but often turn out to be the most dedicated because they put it all in!!!

Another simple and effective way is to tell each Explorer to bring in at least one friend on an open house night. A bit easier recruitment method if you don't quite have pamphlets or more involved means at the moment.

Good luck.

For the technology generation, a web site can generate interest. That's how I found out about my post.

Mike

Thread Information