MembersZone Subscriber

Default Spartan vs. Spartan Comp

We're finalizing our bids on our Squad and it looks like we need to find some savings. One option is to go from the Spartan Gladiator to the Metro Star. Becuase they've switched from multiple names to the two lines we're seeking any info about the diffrerences.

So far this is what we know:
    96" vs. 94" cab width translating to 90" vs. 88" inside
    Metro Star will not take a big block motor (not an issue for our Cummins ISL)
    HVAC on the Gladiator can be roof mounted with ceiling mounted controls
    HVAC in the Metro Star is on the engine tunnel

Our real concern is if there are true quality differences with the interior (crappy plastic vs. better panels and trim?). Also, is the 2" width difference actual noticeable or are the front seating positions still the same width?

Any info would be appreciated. Please Spartan only we could care less about any other chassis at this point.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post

Our real concern is if there are true quality differences with the interior (crappy plastic vs. better panels and trim?). Also, is the 2" width difference actual noticeable or are the front seating positions still the same width?
    To my knowledge, those are the only differences that you mentioned. As far as the rest of the components go, they are the same from model to model. If you don't want the plastic interior, go with the extreme duty interior. Regardless, the ABS plastic or the extreme duty is the same in both the Metro Star and the Gladiator. It doesn't make sense for Spartan to stock the same product in two different qualities.

Forum Member

The metro star is the older gladiator cab. The interior and exterior dimensions are all proportional. The metro star is a narrower cab but the width of the dog house is also narrower so seating space should be equal. In fact there is probably more room in the metro star because I believe the doghouse is lower.

Forum Member

Default Xtreme Duty Interior

Go with the Xtreme Duty Interior. St. Louis has it in all the Spartans they have and love them. We have one here (AZ) and ours has held up great.
    Later

Forum Member

I agree with the extreme duty interior. We have it in our Gladiators with stainless steel door panels and we're about to order a two door heavy rescue on a Spartan Metro Star with the same interior. The stainless door panels are on option, not a cheap one, but will last the life of the rig. The only problem with zolatone on the door panels ( extreme duty ) is that it does wear through in high scrub areas. With stainless this is eliminated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Spartan also has a Line-X option available for the doors which is a little more durable than zolatone and should hold up to the wear.

MembersZone Subscriber

To expand on the two above posts, it looks like in Spartan's quoting software that you can option DA sanded panels in place of the Zolatone, and I think this isn't an extra cost. I need to make sure that this is correct and I'm not reading things wrong.
    Last edited by npfd801; 01-27-2008 at 09:14 PM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    To expand on the top above posts, it looks like in Spartan's quoting software that you can option DA sanded panels in place of the Zolatone, and I think this isn't an extra cost. I need to make sure that this is correct and I'm not reading things wrong.
    You are correct in that it is offered and it is a no cost option from what I hear. Here's a picture of it on a Miami Dade Aerial.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

What ever you do, go with big power and big brakes. These are more important than a pump unless you have no hydrants and draft all the time. A pump will put out what you can put into it. Design your truck around having power to spare and the ability to stop when grandma pulls out in front of you

My .02

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks ,there are are lot of good comments here. I guess I'm less apprehensive about switching to the Metro Star. Anybody have an idea what the price difference is between the Metro Star and the Gladiator given the same motor and some interior packages?

Forum Member

Adam,Time to take a ride. We've got a 4yr old Gladiator with another on order.My "other" Dept has a Advantage(Now Metrostar)which is about 6yr old and is 20 minutes away from my Central station.Load up your wagon and come visit.Both have been good pieces.I'm slanted toward the Gladiator but either piece should serve you nicely.I personally prefer the overhead heat/A/C but that's just a personal preference thing,either does a nice job of comfort control. T.C.

Forum Member

We have a Gladiator and have had good luck with it. I agree with TC (that dont happen all the time!!) I like the "Climate control" up on top as well, and I like the big horsepower.
    Last edited by ScottAvery; 01-28-2008 at 10:24 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

The HP won't be an issue as we're getting a Cummins ISL 425 motor in either chassis. The overhead HVAC does seem nice but it is really a minor concern in the grand scheme of things. We're looking to bring the project in under budget and some fairly deep cuts may be required.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Adam,Time to take a ride. We've got a 4yr old Gladiator with another on order.My "other" Dept has a Advantage(Now Metrostar)which is about 6yr old and is 20 minutes away from my Central station.Load up your wagon and come visit.Both have been good pieces.I'm slanted toward the Gladiator but either piece should serve you nicely.I personally prefer the overhead heat/A/C but that's just a personal preference thing,either does a nice job of comfort control. T.C.
    I wish I could do it this week as I need a trip for any reason. We really just want to see 2007 compliant Gladiators and Metro Stars for comparision, we are confident in the Spartan product, but need to see if we feel the change is an OK value.

Forum Member

Oh Spanky,I'm right,you know I'm right,so just say it and go along for the ride.Agree with me: YOU WILL! or I send out Guido and the suits. Adam,read carefully: TAKE A RIDE! We'll set you up in the mouse motor version(Metrostar)then let you ride in the real one.Your little beadies are NOT going to see it from the Hamlet.Make it Sunday we'll do lunch,although I'm available almost anytime. T.C.

Forum Member

Post Metro Star

My dept took delivery of an engine on the Metro Star Chassis and we love it. The only thing I think I'd change is a few more horses under the hood. It's a little sluggish on taking hills from a start but when it's rolling, she goes nicely. The engine noise is a bit loud so I recommend going with a commiunication systems with headphones, especially if you go with a "Q" for the noise maker.

We went with the Metro Star due to the Rol Tek. We felt it was a nive feature for a few more bucks.

Here's the engine:

http://www.customfire.com/d_pumper.php?id=467032e713316

Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by rfdmn09; 01-28-2008 at 11:27 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Spartan Chassis

Not being to familar with the Spartan chassis, I was under the impression that the MetroStar had smaller engines and transmissions and more common parts with the motor home chassis they build and if you wanted the big bore engines you had to upgrade to the Gladiator version. Is this impression right or wrong?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Not being to familar with the Spartan chassis, I was under the impression that the MetroStar had smaller engines and transmissions and more common parts with the motor home chassis they build and if you wanted the big bore engines you had to upgrade to the Gladiator version. Is this impression right or wrong?
    Yes, that is correct, basically you cannot put the big block motors in the Metro Star.

Forum Member

Dunno about the Metro Star but we had a new ladder truck at our station the other night that was built on the gladiator chassis. It seemed to be very well built and was a far better ride than the HME's that we have. Head room was kind of limited even with the notched raised roof for the ladder....

Forum Member

I see that Spartan has sort of realigned their chassis line up down to three different cabs. Where did the Diamond, Mountain Star, Sierra, Advantage and Big Easy go? I never understood the difference, I suppose, between them all. Anyone have the scoop?

MembersZone Subscriber

Spartan has done away with the Big Easy, Advantage and Diamond. The Big Easy, Advantage, and Metro Star were always the same 94" cab. Is what differentiated them was the available options. There use to be virtually no options available on a Big Easy. So Spartan lumped everything into the Metro Star category and your base Metro Star is pretty much the old Big Easy. The only difference is the options are pretty much unlimited with the exception of the few differences that are noted above.

Same with the Diamond. The base Gladiator is pretty close to the old base Diamond if that makes any sense. The Diamond and the Gladiator were always the same 96" cab so they just simplified it and did away with the Diamond.

MembersZone Subscriber

I spoke to a rep from Spartan today. He noted the Gladiator has much more foot room as the firewall is 6" further forward but the width is negligible due to the tunnel sizes. Also he says the extrusions in the Gladiator are heavier so in all it's "heavier duty".

Thanks to all it looks like we have our questions answered, but no your not off the hook TC, I'm still going to make it there before the final ink dries.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by baja320 View Post
    What ever you do, go with big power and big brakes. These are more important than a pump unless you have no hydrants and draft all the time. A pump will put out what you can put into it. Design your truck around having power to spare and the ability to stop when grandma pulls out in front of you

My .02
    at 300hp to 350hp can manage a 1500gpm pump and will also do fine in an area if geared right that isnt extremley hilly. I would rather have the larger pump myself not everyone needs a huge engine.

Thread Information