Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turnout Gear

Question Turnout Gear

Does Any One Know Anything About Securitex Gear We Are Thinking About Get It And Was Wondering If Any One Had Use It Or Know About It Thanks

Forum Member

Do a search on Securtex gear and I'm sure you'll hear a lot about it on the forums. I'll give you my departments opinion on it... We received several sets with the purchase of a new apparatus in 2003 and well, we think the gear is junk. For us it hasn't held up and we only got about 3 years out of it before it failed our yearly in-house inspection. We will never purchase it again but other departments out their swear by it...

We just switched to Securitex last summer.

I had heard all kinds of horrible things about it, so I was thinking we were going downhill from our already-crappy Quaker gear.

Several members of our department formed a committee to spec the new gear.
    I was really surprised at how much better this gear is than what we had. Much, much better thermal protection factors and better fit and comfort.

I use my gear a lot, both on the job and teaching in our live fire facility. I am happier with this gear than I have been with anything since our Morning Pride gear that we had in the early 90's.

I can't speak about the durability yet, as my gear is only a few months old, but so far, so good.

I honestly think that bunker gear's quality is determined more from how it is spec'd, as it is from who makes it.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

We had about 20 pairs of it floating around for a year or so and we hated it. I was never issued a pair. But the guys were less than impressed overall.

NO, NEIN, NYET, AND NON!!!

Do a search for Securitex. There was an LODD where it is considered to be a factor. A lawsuit was filed, and money changed hands, although they admitted no guilt, IIRC.

Go Globe. The prices for the G-XTREME are NOT unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination, and I personally purchased mine, nicely specced out, not skimping on anything.

You could even go with the stock Globe program. Just say NO to tactical tupperwear, E-WONTs and Securi****!!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Do a search for Securitex. There was an LODD where it is considered to be a factor. A lawsuit was filed, and money changed hands, although they admitted no guilt, IIRC.
    One important note regarding this incident. The primary area of "concern" was regarding the outer shell construction. The fabric in question is one of Securitex's proprietary fabrics - Duralite (?).

Securitex TOG is available using other fabrics that do not have the same "issue" that this other fabric has.

My department switched from Securitex to Morning Pride 2 years ago. It was our first experience with Securitex for most of us. It was OK, but nothing special. It just didn't hold up for us. Within 2 years alot of it had significant signs of wear and by 3 years we had some pieces condemed (or needing to be) and started looking for a replacement.

So far our new stuff is holding up much better and fits a lot better too.

Question turn out gear

Well did think I would get info like that!!! But it will make us think about what we are buying thanks keep it comeing.

Forum Member

we too are looking at new bunker gear. the two remaining are securitex and viking

i too have run into a ton of bad reviews of securitex. but i believe under the new owners and looking at the newer designs, we are very impressed with what we see. I have talked to many other departments in my area, and they all have very posative reviews (wear and fit).

"I honestly think that bunker gear's quality is determined more from how it is spec'd, as it is from who makes it."

i think that is the best statement made so far in this thread. bad specs to save money can happen to all the manufacturers. i have experienced it first hand.

our needs are very different than FDNY's needs, or any bigger city department. we dont fight alot of fire and most are surround and drown. we spend most of our time doing rescue in snow/rain. Well, 2f3 fabric, although it doesnt breath well, repels water well. My line staff has expressed a giant desire to get gear that doesnt soak up water like a sponge. I have worn globe, morning pride, janesville/lion, and all in modern materials soak water quickly after a fire or 2. The reviews I get from the refs i called for securitex cant stop talking about the 2f3 fabrics ability to stay dry. A 50 lbs set of bunkers wet might weight another 5-10 lbs. that is signifigant over time, and also gets us super cold.

anyway, i guess my point is to research what YOU need. It is really easy to get caught up in the opinions of others. especially on an online forum such as this one. as you know, bad experiences tend to travel "like wildfire". Our society loves to talk smack. Although most of the reviews HERE are negative toward Securitex, in my research I have found just as many if not more GOOD reviews of securitex. i just had to look a bit harder.

good luck, and let us know how it goes.

josh

Quote Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
    we too are looking at new bunker gear. the two remaining are securitex and viking

i too have run into a ton of bad reviews of securitex. but i believe under the new owners and looking at the newer designs, we are very impressed with what we see. I have talked to many other departments in my area, and they all have very posative reviews (wear and fit).

"I honestly think that bunker gear's quality is determined more from how it is spec'd, as it is from who makes it."

i think that is the best statement made so far in this thread. bad specs to save money can happen to all the manufacturers. i have experienced it first hand.

anyway, i guess my point is to research what YOU need. It is really easy to get caught up in the opinions of others. especially on an online forum such as this one. as you know, bad experiences tend to travel "like wildfire". Our society loves to talk smack. Although most of the reviews HERE are negative toward Securitex, in my research I have found just as many if not more GOOD reviews of securitex. i just had to look a bit harder.

good luck, and let us know how it goes.

josh
    Well if you would like you can come to our station and look at our Securitex gear. We have stuff that shouldn't even be hanging on the truck! We are all getting new gear. My stuff is not even 2 years old and is falling apart...

Forum Member

what is your Securitex spec? mostly i am interested in the outer shell.

Also, does your spec include double stiched seams on your reflective bands?

josh

PS fwiw, my MP and Globe G-exteme brand new fell apart before 2 years. They would have been "decomissioned" based on todays NFPA 1851 2008 rev. well before the 2 years. It all depends on who, what, why and where i guess....
    Last edited by spidy512; 03-17-2008 at 04:26 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am another in the "against" colmn for Securitex. We are a fairly busy department and it doesn't hold up well at all. Not to mention the design (i.e. cut of the garment) doesn't fit most people well at all. As previously mentioned, the spec of your gear drives a lot of it. The two problems above have nothing to do with our spec, just the way the turnouts are made. Good luck with whatever your choose. Remember, lots of research, get references, and make sure you look into service contracts (especially how far the nearest service facility is).

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Forum Member

yes cap6888

i am finding i am putting in a ton of time with this spec. it is really been one interesting and educational experience.

I keep hearing about Secritex and quality issues for gear 2 years or older. anyone haveabout a year on their gear?

j

Gone.

Just for reference, here is all the manufacturers I could think of to help broaden your search:

Janesville
    Cairns
    Globe
    Securitex
    Chieftain
    Quaker
    Body Guard
    Morning Pride
    Viking
    Fyrepel
    Innotex
    Veridian
    Fire-Dex

I probably forgot a few, maybe even some obvious ones, but who knows.
    Last edited by Hexxus; 03-18-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Thread Information