Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2Capt View Post
    The reason Station 51 was used was because there was no Station 51 in the LACoFD. Once the show ended LACoFD opened Station 51 on Universal Studios Lot. It is true to the show and houses an Engine 51 and a Squad 51. They however are not and were not ever the equipment used in the show.
    This pic I found on-line shows the orginal 51 housed in the studios hall along with a recent squad 51. A FORD?

And FYI,

If anyone wants to build a psuedo replica of the original 51, I found this on Firetec a few months ago. A red paint job, and pull the pump/reel, and you have a pretty decent match.

http://www.firetec.com/detail/BG-8386.html

If I had some spare cash lying around I would do it just for kicks. A fun show and shine truck for the boomers who watched.
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 01-31-2008 at 04:57 PM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Cast backgrounds, equipment origins and history since the show, pretty much all of the trivia discussed here and much more can be found at the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency%21
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    Ummm, no.

"Chet" was an actor- Tim Donnelly.

Mike Stoker was the Engineer. Mike was hired because they needed someone who could drive the rig. He had his SAG card.

I wasn't even ALIVE when E! was on and I knew that. Gotta love TV Land.
    Somewhere on my book shelf I have an LA County FD yearbook from the early 70's that I picked up on eBay that had Mike Stoker's picture with his real-life station assignment in the personnel section.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    You beat me to it! But it wasn't just because no one else knew how to drive the rig, the rig was actually LACoFD property so they required a LACoFD Firefighter to drive it.

When they got either the new engine or a new squad (I dont remember which it was), Randolph Mantooth and Kevin Tighe stopped at my Dad's station and rode along on calls with them for a day.

IIRC, "Engine 51" is now stationed at one of the movie studios out there. Universal I want to say.

And Station "51" is actually Station 127 and is a working firehouse.
    You're right and you're wrong little bro. You might find this interesting so bear with me. I've been on light duty for a while and going to therapy twice a week straight from the station so I just leave my duty t-shirt on and throw on some shorts and head over.
    While I was working out an old man on the table next to me asked if I was a firefighter. I responded with a yes, right here in the city. I asked him if he was ever on the job and he told me "not in the capacity that you might be thinking". That peaked my curiosity so I asked him what he did.
    He informed me that he worked for Universal Studios specifically on the Emergency! set.
    He was the driver of the engine used in the filming. That engine belonged to Universal studios. He would drive it to the station (127) for the day's filming there, or he would drive it to the location where they were filming the daily disaster.
    Mike Stoker was an actual LACo engineer who drove Universal's E51 anytime there were passengers/actors aboard during filming. (Insurance thing I'm guessing)
    The rig was either sold or given to Yosemite Village in the park where it is still in service today. If you happen to find yourself in the park, ask to see the old rig. I believe it is staffed by park employees not NFS personnel.
    IAFF

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    You're right and you're wrong little bro. You might find this interesting so bear with me. I've been on light duty for a while and going to therapy twice a week straight from the station so I just leave my duty t-shirt on and throw on some shorts and head over.
    While I was working out an old man on the table next to me asked if I was a firefighter. I responded with a yes, right here in the city. I asked him if he was ever on the job and he told me "not in the capacity that you might be thinking". That peaked my curiosity so I asked him what he did.
    He informed me that he worked for Universal Studios specifically on the Emergency! set.
    He was the driver of the engine used in the filming. That engine belonged to Universal studios. He would drive it to the station (127) for the day's filming there, or he would drive it to the location where they were filming the daily disaster.
    Mike Stoker was an actual LACo engineer who drove Universal's E51 anytime there were passengers/actors aboard during filming. (Insurance thing I'm guessing)
    The rig was either sold or given to Yosemite Village in the park where it is still in service today. If you happen to find yourself in the park, ask to see the old rig. I believe it is staffed by park employees not NFS personnel.
    Cool story, Gary! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    The original Crown was owned by the county, in fact they just used E127 for the station scenes with a magnetic number board to cover the 127 with a 51. Station 60 used to be at or near the station, and for set scenes E60 was used to portray E51 The Ward LaFrance P80 was donated by Ward LaFrance to the Studio when they delivered the large order to the county. the guy you met likely just drove the P80.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default model set

I have the models and station from code 3 collectibles. That show was great and no doubt the inspiration for thousands of us to seek out careers as firefighters, paramedics etc. I remember there was a thing called project51.org out there. It was the actors and trucks being restored and traveling around the country. I would love to meet the actors of that show and say "thanks". I've always wanted to be a firefighter since I was a kid I have achieved that dream which is more than a lot of people can say. I was also an explorer which is another great program for kids to get into.

Forum Member

to all those emergency! fans out there, episodes are now online at nbc.com

good show!

Forum Member

http://www.emergencyfans.com/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/emergencycafe/

I am now renting the entire series on DVD from Netflix :-)

Forum Member

I have season two. My favorite show. I am looking to get the other seasons too. I don't know how many times I've been through this season.
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Know how you fell

I totally know how you felt. I have grown up in the Fire/EMS world but never watched Emergency. When I got in to E.M.T school my instructure found out and had me watch the first season as homework. Man i wish I could work there LOL.

Forum Member

When the TV series Emergency was a hit, the stars Gage and Desoto were going to be on the program at the California Firemans Association Convention in Anaheim. We took our restored 1923 Seagrave to the convention. The '23 won best antique engine in the parade. We heard a rumor that Squad 51 was going to be at the pool/picnic event. On a hunch we took our old '23 through a gate to the event. Sure enough, Gage and Desoto showed up in Squad 51! A quick maneuver placed our '23 next to Squad 51 for pictures.

Here's the photo: http://www.eatstress.com/squad51.htm

Engine 51 ended up in Yosemite because Universal Studios owned the concession rights for Curry Company in Yosemite and they needed an engine with less miles. They swapped E-51 for Engine 7, a 50's vintage open cab Seagrave. Engine 51 (now engine 7) is still front line equipment. It's parked behind two type 1 rigs.

"Captain Bob"

Forum Member

EMERGENCY ....................those were the days .........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    So why didn't YOU transport? YOU'RE the one with the TRANSPORT AMBULANCE!
    Maybe BLS cannot transport an ALS patient in his state?Maybe I missed something,though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    When the TV series Emergency was a hit, the stars Gage and Desoto were going to be on the program at the California Firemans Association Convention in Anaheim. We took our restored 1923 Seagrave to the convention. The '23 won best antique engine in the parade. We heard a rumor that Squad 51 was going to be at the pool/picnic event. On a hunch we took our old '23 through a gate to the event. Sure enough, Gage and Desoto showed up in Squad 51! A quick maneuver placed our '23 next to Squad 51 for pictures.

Here's the photo: http://www.eatstress.com/squad51.htm

Engine 51 ended up in Yosemite because Universal Studios owned the concession rights for Curry Company in Yosemite and they needed an engine with less miles. They swapped E-51 for Engine 7, a 50's vintage open cab Seagrave. Engine 51 (now engine 7) is still front line equipment. It's parked behind two type 1 rigs.

"Captain Bob"
    Engine 51 has now returned to LA County and one day will be restored and rest in the County Museum!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

When one of our fire explorers was old enough to start testing he remembered he had the Gage and Desoto dish and cup set from the TV series Emergency. His mom had a picture of him in front of the TV as a kid eating off it when the show came on. He took that picture to his orals. Did it work? He works for San Jose Fire.

Dennis, thanks for the update. The change has been made to the link.
    http://www.eatstress.com/squad51.htm

Bob

MembersZone Subscriber

That's probably the worst advice I have ever heard of in my entire fire service career. Do you really think about things when you post them.
    Are you really advocating that candidates do this?
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

When one of our fire explorers was old enough to start testing he remembered he had the Gage and Desoto dish and cup set from the TV series Emergency. His mom had a picture of him in front of the TV as a kid eating off it when the show came on. He took that picture to his orals. Did it work? He works for San Jose Fire.

Bob
    You have got to be kidding me. Kids, take Chief Lepore's advice and IGNORE THIS NONSENSE!

Fire fighting is a profession. You are not auditioning for American Idol. You are a person seeking a position in a professional public safety organization. If you brought that picture into an interview that I was sitting on, I would IMMEDIATELY disqualify you. My rationale would be for immaturity and a lack of appreciation of the role of the modern fire service.

You can also rest assured that, somehow, that little anecdote will get out. If you happened to actually get on, that story will be in the firehouse before you are and your life will be hell for a long time.

You're an adult and stories about "little boys wanting to grow up to be firemen" are passe and largely irrelevant. David Berkowitz wanted to be a FF, too.

Mommy stories should not be brought to the fire house.

bobby, you should be ashamed of yourself for this hokey crap. This is exactly why these kids should not waste a nickel of their money or a moment of their time on your nonsense.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    That's probably the worst advice I have ever heard of in my entire fire service career. Do you really think about things when you post them.
    Are you really advocating that candidates do this?
    No I don't avocate this. He told me later after the interview. He was hired though.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

No I don't avocate this. He told me later after the interview. He was hired though.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com
    Just like you don't advocate trying to beat a polygraph, but you send guys to a site where it is taught.

Just like you don't advocate wearing sepcial contact lenses to cheat on the eye exam to hide color blindness, but you send kids to a site where they can buy them.

Just like you advocate telling the truth, but coach kids on concealing information on their background check.

Guys, pay very close attention to what has been going on here recently with cap'n bobby. Lack of ethics is a very telling thing.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Bob

And this has to do with what? I've seen a lot of nonsense that you have posted.. this takes the cake.

PS: it's a fruitcake!

PS #2: maybe he should have brought his Tonka and Matchbox fire trucks with him, too!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 08-14-2008 at 12:14 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Today is Kevin Tighe's 62nd birthday,according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

Forum Member

Bob
    What firefighter between the ages of 35 and 45 did not get their first real taste of firefighting from Emergency! ? You can/should mention it, but bringing in memorabilia is kind of creepy.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

OK, back to the fan stuff for a minute. We can resume fighting later...

For anyone who is interested, there is a photo spread and writeup on the restoration of Squad 51 in this months MOPAR Collector's Guide magazine. It has an orange 55 wagon on the cover for those who may feel like looking.

http://www.moparcollectorsguide.com/

There is some very cool history about how the squad came to be, and where it spent parts of it's life after the show.

Now back to the bickering...
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    For anyone who is interested, there is a photo spread and writeup on the restoration of Squad 51 in this months MOPAR Collector's Guide magazine. It has an orange 55 wagon on the cover for those who may feel like looking.

http://www.moparcollectorsguide.com/

Now back to the bickering...
    MOPAR:Mostly Old Parts And Rust

When people would come into our Station 1 for a visit from the parking lot,they'd see the back of our Unit 31 used for medical assist and calls where lighting was needed.The first thing they'd comment on was "Hey,that looks just like the truck on 'Emergency!'."

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information