Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Young guy watching "Emergency" for the first time...

I'm just 24. I know it might be a shock... but Ive only been in the business for about 3 years and one of the older guys here at work exposed me to "Emergency" for the first time. I have heard of the show, but never caught an eppisode of it. He loaned me Season 3. I have sat here all night watching every eppisode simply entranced.

and...

This is amazing.

Wow.... is all I have to say.

Did they really have to be on the line with medical control the entire time? It's just amazing how much things must have changed! I am spellbound by how medics had their hands tied in the 70s.

Since I'm a rookie, please elighten me... Was it REALLY like this?

MembersZone Subscriber

Did they really have to be on the line with medical control the entire time? It's just amazing how much things must have changed! I am spellbound by how medics had their hands tied in the 70s.

some places still work like that
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

All things being equal, and allowing for some (OK, a lot) of cinematic/poetic license, Emergency! was remarkably realistic for its time.

You have always known medics to more or less enjoy the freedom to treat as they see fit under standing orders, but back when firefighters were first given the job and there really wasn't any EMS system implemented as we know it today... yeah, some people were quite concerned about anyone other than MDs providing advanced professional medical treatment in excess of a band-aid outside of the hospital.

Get your hands on the pilot episode, it does a fairly good job of explaining it from the medical/hospital's point of view, as the character of Kelly Bracket was initially very hostile to the idea in the pilot.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

You have to realize that part of the reason that "Emergency" was so big was that the Paramedic Medicine it portrayed was new and cutting edge. It was even considered "experimental" for the time (hence the hands-on med control).

The first season with the pilot do a good job of introducing it, and laying the backstory.

But don't get too serious about it. It has it's cheesy Hollywood moments too. Just remember, the cure for all things according to Emergency:

"Administer two-amp sodium bicarb, insert an airway. Start an IV, 51. Lactate Ringer's."
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    "Administer two-amp sodium bicarb, insert an airway. Start an IV, 51. Lactate Ringer's...."
    "...and transport as soon as possible!"
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    "...and transport as soon as possible!"
    "10-4 Rampart!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Season 3 is out????
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    some places still work like that
    *Cough* Jersey! *Cough*
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    *Cough* Jersey! *Cough*
    haha its true, i work as an emt in new jersey, as well as new york, and its odd to see how much EMS in other states have advanced, while jersey just sits stagnant. not that its such a big deal, but it is awkward.
    These opinions and views are my own and in no way connected to my department. Stay safe brothers.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by nm1fdhzmat View Post
    haha its true, i work as an emt in new jersey, as well as new york, and its odd to see how much EMS in other states have advanced, while jersey just sits stagnant. not that its such a big deal, but it is awkward.
    IMO it IS a big deal. I am a NJ EMT, Fla EMT, and a Medic student in Fla. I was working Somers Point (NJ) EMS this weekend (LOOONG story, I live in Fla, and occasionally work in NJ), and the differences between the two states are HUGE. I like some things about Jersey's EMS (Medic chase cars, but there needs to be MORE).

The stagnant state of NJ EMS system is one reason I will not live there again.

Work there, as long as I can, but not live. And not work as a MICP.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

IMO it IS a big deal. I am a NJ EMT, Fla EMT, and a Medic student in Fla. I was working Somers Point (NJ) EMS this weekend (LOOONG story, I live in Fla, and occasionally work in NJ), and the differences between the two states are HUGE. I like some things about Jersey's EMS (Medic chase cars, but there needs to be MORE).

The stagnant state of NJ EMS system is one reason I will not live there again.

Work there, as long as I can, but not live. And not work as a MICP.

yes, you do have a big point about the medics cars, as well as how to never be a medic in this state. i agree 100%

also, i cant stand the hospital-run medics, it takes forever to get ALS on scene, and when they do, they do their whole work-up on scene, ignoring the MOBILE in Mobile Intensive Care Unit
    These opinions and views are my own and in no way connected to my department. Stay safe brothers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    Season 3 is out????
    Season 3 came out last year. Season 4 was released today.
    Member I.A.C.O.J

Forum Member

also, i cant stand the hospital-run medics, it takes forever to get ALS on scene, and when they do, they do their whole work-up on scene, ignoring the MOBILE in Mobile Intensive Care Unit
    So why didn't YOU transport? YOU'RE the one with the TRANSPORT AMBULANCE!

There's not much wrong with New Jersey EMS that taking the First Aid Council out back and shooting it probably won't fix.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post

There's not much wrong with New Jersey EMS that taking the First Aid Council out back and shooting it probably won't fix.
    lol funny thing is, when i drive, i dont pay attention to whether the medic is ready or not. if hes in the bus and has got all his crap, were going.

oh and the FAC, yeah, lets not mention their name... supporting them is like supporting terrorism.

makes good girls go bad

While I agree that killing the NJ First Grade Council will do nothing but benefit the state of EMS, we also have to look at several issues, namely being;

Lack of ALS units. When Medic 8 in Somers Point has to go to Little Egg Harbor,(http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...&2s=nj&2z=&r=f) I get a little ****ed. Especially when I get a call in Somers Point requiring ALS, and he is up the GSP, to be recalled, or worse, the idiot EMTs KEEP him.

Lack of pay and benefits between EMS and FD/PD. How fair is it for me to make 10.50/hr working AC EMS, and ACFD and ACPD are some of the highest paid in the state? Granted I worked for a private, but how are they going to keep and attract the best when conditions suck, as well as pay.

Every one is on a different frequency, band, or radio system. Frackin a people, lets get it together. Each county has ONE system, ONE dispatch center. No more home rule. ONE. Read the NJ EMS report? See the porquipine (sp) MICP? UNACCEPTABLE.

Medics NEED to do their workup. Ever listen to lung sounds looking for fine rales, wheezes or crackles? Or start a line with an idiot EMT driver who thinks that Code 3 means haul *** at all costs? Now that I am on the ALS side of things, I now know why the Medics were ****ed sometimes. I DO still work as an EMT, so I don't forget where I came from, and to pass on tid bits of info I learn. It is pretty hard to get a reliable EKG, or 12 lead with all the artifact from road bumps.

Sometimes, PUHA isn't the best option. Get em in the back of the bus, and find a rendezvous point is. Seizures, codes, asthma, CHFers, cardia issues, unconscious, etc, all need immediate ALS. If you have extended transport times, waiting IS the best option.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Chet, the Engineer was an LA County Fire Engineer. He got the part because they needed someone who could drive the rig. He also had his SAG card.

Emergency did wonders for the beginnings of the Paramedic program.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by nm1fdhzmat View Post
    lol funny thing is, when i drive, i dont pay attention to whether the medic is ready or not. if hes in the bus and has got all his crap, were going.

oh and the FAC, yeah, lets not mention their name... supporting them is like supporting terrorism.

Dude, seriously, if you were my partner, we would be having words.
    Like I posted about, ever try to do an ALS procedure? Or even lay on a cot an have your partner drive like an ***? I have been a pt in an ambulance about a dozen or so times. i know what its like to have a good driver, and a shiity one.
    Do a ride along with your local MICU program. It WILL open your eyes. If not, you don't belong in EMS.

It is incrediably embarassing to try to make excuses for a partners shiity driving.

Are you in EMS to be a patient advocate, or to play with lights and sirens? Not calling you out, or trying to be an ***, but trying to open your eyes. This is a PROFESSION. Act like a professional.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    Chet, the Engineer was an LA County Fire Engineer. He got the part because they needed someone who could drive the rig. He also had his SAG card.

Emergency did wonders for the beginnings of the Paramedic program.
    Ummm, no.

"Chet" was an actor- Tim Donnelly.

Mike Stoker was the Engineer. Mike was hired because they needed someone who could drive the rig. He had his SAG card.

I wasn't even ALIVE when E! was on and I knew that. Gotta love TV Land.

Forum Member

None of which is an answer to the question of why you're sitting onscene twiddling your thumbs waiting for ALS.

(Reality being you probably don't need them in the first place, but since organizations like the FAC, NVFC, and the IAFC won't allow increased EMS education standards, you don't actually have any background to figure out who needs ALS and who doesn't.)

Transport IS a treatment. TREAT YOUR PATIENT.
    Last edited by emt161; 01-30-2008 at 01:28 AM.

Forum Member

I read somewhere where that the original Captain was also an actual Captain in L.A. County. He had to give it up because it was interferring with his family life and his real job.
    Last edited by LADDER2EKU; 01-30-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: My spelling is terrible
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

Ummm, no.

"Chet" was an actor- Tim Donnelly.

Mike Stoker was the Engineer. Mike was hired because they needed someone who could drive the rig. He had his SAG card.

I wasn't even ALIVE when E! was on and I knew that. Gotta love TV Land.
    You beat me to it! But it wasn't just because no one else knew how to drive the rig, the rig was actually LACoFD property so they required a LACoFD Firefighter to drive it.

When they got either the new engine or a new squad (I dont remember which it was), Randolph Mantooth and Kevin Tighe stopped at my Dad's station and rode along on calls with them for a day.

Emergency has been my favorite tv show ever since I can remember. If it was either cartoons or Emergency.......Emergency won out every time.

Weruj1, would be able to go on forever as he is probably the biggest emergency buff that I have ever met.

IIRC, "Engine 51" is now stationed at one of the movie studios out there. Universal I want to say.

And Station "51" is actually Station 127 and is a working firehouse.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    IIRC, "Engine 51" is now stationed at one of the movie studios out there. Universal I want to say.
    I wanna say Yosemite Nat'l Park.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

I wanna say Yosemite Nat'l Park.
    DOH!!!!!!!!!!

I knew that.

Damn.

Did it used to be there? or did Squad 51? Or am I just imagining things?
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

makes good girls go bad

It is there now. Its previous use is unk to me.

One the the IACOJ users has driven it.....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

The reason Station 51 was used was because there was no Station 51 in the LACoFD. Once the show ended LACoFD opened Station 51 on Universal Studios Lot. It is true to the show and houses an Engine 51 and a Squad 51. They however are not and were not ever the equipment used in the show.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information