Forum Member
    Born in Boston Mass, Now in Port Charlotte Florida

Default Jr program question

Hi i was wondering what i should do to really determine if theres a Jr program in my area. I live in port charlotte florida and was wondering if i should just go to the station and introduce myself and try to become involved anyway i can or should i call the county and find out or maybe even ask my friend whos dad is a fire chief. I have been interested in becoming a firefighter since i was about 8 up in boston and just want to get started as soon as possible in any way. If anyone would also have any suggestions on how i can take FF1-2 classes as a 16 yr old sophmore. Any help or suggestions are appreciated, thanks guys
    South Florida Junior Firefighter

Second Battalion

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLFirefighter12 View Post
    Hi i was wondering what i should do to really determine if theres a Jr program in my area. I live in port charlotte florida and was wondering if i should just go to the station and introduce myself and try to become involved anyway i can or should i call the county and find out or maybe even ask my friend whos dad is a fire chief. I have been interested in becoming a firefighter since i was about 8 up in boston and just want to get started as soon as possible in any way. If anyone would also have any suggestions on how i can take FF1-2 classes as a 16 yr old sophmore. Any help or suggestions are appreciated, thanks guys
    I would call, talk to others, go to the station in person or what ever it takes for you to find out the information you need. As far as the FF I and II classes, in our area you have to be 18 or older and out of high school to attend. I would concentrate on just an Explorer/Jr Firefighting post for now so you can get a good feal for the fire service and then when you have been in the post for a while and you have a better feeling for the fire service is when you can start thinking about taking FF I and II classes. Also, you may want to think about Majoring in Fire Science at a local community college, but you got some time to think about that. Just my suggestions. Good luck to you!
    http://www.wichitafire.org

Gone.

You're going to need to do a lot of learning before you take Firefighter I & 2. You have to be 18 years old, to begin with. There is no way a 16 year old Junior Firefighter can take it, anyway. Your best bet at becoming a junior would be to go to the station in person, that way it shows that you have motive, initiative, and a willingness to get involved. Once you are in, get involved. Actively learn the profession. Participate in department agenda.

Forum Member
    Born in Boston Mass, Now in Port Charlotte Florida

Thanks, i went to the station a few days ago and my lacrosse coach is an officer at a station in the neighboring town. So i got a lot of sources. And what my Career counselor is doing for me is setting me up for internship next year (Junior year) and ill be going to the station and being around and getting to know everything so i have a little under my belt when i go into fire school the year i get out of high school. They also have me taking a CPT (College Placement Test) in April and if i pass i will get a spot in duel enrollemnt at the community college to become EMT certified during my senior year. And my coach said any weekend he is working he would be glad to let me learn alot around the station until i get into the interneship next year. But im am ready to go and got everything straight (:, Thanks again though guys
    South Florida Junior Firefighter

Second Battalion

Forum Member

Default you might be able to take classes...

in michigan you can get into a FF I/II Academy when you are 16 if you are a cadet/junior/explorer on an organized fire department. As for finding out about the program, call the FD or go in and ask about it. Who knows, mabey they can start one and you are just the push they needed to get it going???
    Everyone Goes Home --- Prevent LODDs
    Visit www.everyonegoeshome.com

• Wear Your Seatbelt! --- Every Time, Every Call, No Matter What!
    • Pay Attention to the PASS --- Every time you hear a PASS, realize this time it might be the real deal!

Forum Member

In New York you also only have to be 16 to take Firefighter 1, i took it when i was 17.

Forum Member

Try looking here if you are still trying to figure out about the explorers program. http://www.learningforlife.org/exploring/fire/main.html
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

Thread Information