Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56
  1. #21
    Forum Member backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skiwiz6 View Post
    whatever you goof. Good-luck on the test.
    Sorry if I offended you, but I have no desire to get on TFD and have not put in an application. I wont even be here in 6 mos anyways.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------


  2. #22
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northwest OH
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Actually Owens does do live fire training in its burn building. A MAJORITY of the fire scenarios and trainers are gas fired and such. However, they do have a live fire room in which they burn hay and stuff.

  3. #23
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Yep they sure do! a 8X8 1st floor room that is way to vented to be acurate. almost zero heat and smoke build up. So if you are a volunteer or on some small paid township this is the place for you!

  4. #24
    Forum Member backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skiwiz6 View Post
    Yep they sure do! a 8X8 1st floor room that is way to vented to be acurate. almost zero heat and smoke build up. So if you are a volunteer or on some small paid township this is the place for you!
    Dude!

    What's your beef with vollie or small departments and even Owens?

    Now I dont know for sure, but it sounds like you are on TFD and think that you are the be all and end all of the firefighting community.

    Maybe I'm interpreting things wrong, but it sures seems like you are a self proclaimed God.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  5. #25
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Just the response I expected from you.
    Owens good school for volunteer's and small departments, said this all along, just not the place for anyone looking for "live fire" training.

    On the GOD statement: Grow-up you goof and get some whiskers before you start making statements like that.

  6. #26
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skiwiz6 View Post
    Yep they sure do! a 8X8 1st floor room that is way to vented to be acurate. almost zero heat and smoke build up. So if you are a volunteer or on some small paid township this is the place for you!
    so am i to understand as a vollie or on a small dept im only going to see small fires with little smoke? im from sw ohio and know nothing about the the schools your talking about. any newer burn tower is going to be vented and have a smaller burn room. the days of starting huge fires in a block building are long over.

  7. #27
    Forum Member backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Just the response I expected from you.
    Owens good school for volunteer's and small departments, said this all along, just not the place for anyone looking for "live fire" training.

    On the GOD statement: Grow-up you goof and get some whiskers before you start making statements like that.
    I'm gonna agree with the other guy......just cause you are a vollie you see fires that aren't as big or as hot as the big city boys do?

    I happen to know of some volunteer departments that run just as much if not more fire than a particular big city around here.

    And why is it that you want me to "grow up"? Because you don't like that I think that volunteers can be just as professional as FT guys? Or just because no one can challenge.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  8. #28
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I would stack any of our biggest "POS" against the best of yours any day. What do you consider Big city? Oregon, rossford, Northwood? Just keep hating "sister".

  9. #29
    Forum Member backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skiwiz6 View Post
    I would stack any of our biggest "POS" against the best of yours any day. What do you consider Big city? Oregon, rossford, Northwood? Just keep hating "sister".
    Ok Ace Ventura,

    big city = Toledo....the home (sadly) of the one and only Carlton Finkbiner

    And what "POS" are you referring to?

    Sister? yeah.....and I'M the one who needs to grow up. Name calling? Please.

    I will gladly post links if you would like.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default

    You gotta wonder why you volly's and small time departments blow it in the interviews for the larger departments! With the battle on this thread and others throughout the forums it is obvious. See the thing is just because we are all on some kind of department doesnt make us equal! You guys swagger into the interviews and spout about all the great experience you have and all the "training" you got from the township and then they hire the accountant or the steel worker....sucks doesnt it! yes you do make fire runs and ems calls, but the volume and severity of those calls dwarf in comparison to the larger departments. You dont have equal the training or the fire experience as those boys and girls to the north of us so stop trying to compare to them. and TFD guy lay-off the forums leave these to the guys that have too much time on their hands and Idle pagers.

    take care all and God bless

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default

    You gotta wonder why you volly's and small time departments blow it in the interviews for the larger departments! With the battle on this thread and others throughout the forums it is obvious. See the thing is just because we are all on some kind of department doesnt make us equal! You guys swagger into the interviews and spout about all the great experience you have and all the "training" you got from the township and then they hire the accountant or the steel worker....sucks doesnt it! yes you do make fire runs and ems calls, but the volume and severity of those calls dwarf in comparison to the larger departments. You dont have equal the training or the fire experience as those boys and girls to the north of us so stop trying to compare to them. and TFD guy lay-off the forums leave these to the guys that have too much time on their hands and Idle pagers.

    take care all and God bless

  12. #32
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elyria, Oh
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Ok, so I found out today that I made it into the Academy class that begins March 1st (I was on the wait list). I was wondering if there was anything I should focus on in the next 2 weeks as far as PT goes in order to not be completely out of shape. I am in decent shape right now, passed my physical agility in 3:10, but was hoping someone could offer insight into some areas I should focus on and build a little more endurance with. Once again, any help is appreciated!

  13. #33
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    N. Ridgeville, Ohio
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Just relax an do what they as you to do. They will make you do what you need to do and you will be fine. I have seen plenty of out of shape guys pass the academy. You sound like you truly want to be there, that is half the battle. Attitude is very important. Just watch out for the "Old Guy" that teaches there. You will know who it is when you see him...lol.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Alot of talk from NW ohio on here! Good luck at your academy kid! Dont ever come to NW Ohio and take part in the Owens experience. Like the TFD guy said it has no real fire training, just enough to get you killed, like they use to say in 36 hour class. the fire school we have here in May is pretty good if intersested, tought by some good guys and real fire is included. So try and get some non-propane fires under your belt so when you feel real heat breathing down your neck, you wont freak out! Right Rossford?

  15. #35
    Forum Member backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    edit..........
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 02-25-2008 at 07:07 AM.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  16. #36
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northwest OH
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    ...........and also on that note...........what about the guys on suburban departments that haven't lived here their whole lives and have actually seen a good amount of fire?.......and in some cases........more fire than alot of TFD guys.

    Like I said, I know of vollie depts that run just as much, if not more fire than the big bad TFD.
    Amen Jake. (of course I'm just a volly who doesnt know what big bad Ole Man Fire is. My dept only ran 800 a year with almost NO EMS calls, thats fires and accidents only)

    I see a problem with SOME people on big city depts that come in fresh and just use the dept's training. They dont know anything else. If they get somewhere that something isnt working right, they dont have the background or experience to know how to use other equipment to do the same job. Of course you have the same problem wiht volunteer depts also. Problems are problems throughout the industry. Volunteers may have it a little harder sometimes because they never know how many people may respond, something you big city guys dont have to deal with, you know you will ALMOST always get x number of engines with y number of people.

    The training I have gotten at owens has been good, granted you dont get the heat build up or smoke that you see in the real world alot, but we want to teach people the basics, teach them the techniques, you learn the details in the field. If that wasnt the case a probie wouldnt be kept in the coat pocket of an officer or senior guy for his first year or so, even if the dept does their own academy.

    People are the weak link, not the training. If someone doesnt want to go to training or implement what they learn then they wont perform well. Happens both to vollies and FT. Yes we do get the same training,

    FT Volly
    240 240 (what do ya know we got em
    too, not required no, but encouraged)

    EMT-B EMT-B
    Paramedic Paramedic
    Confined space Confined space
    Hazmat Hazmat


    and the list goes on. We drill on our skills, we attend the CME credits also. We are not a bunch of yokels who just like lights and sirens. Can you not accept that we are professionals in our jobs also, we just dont get paid, or dont get paid as much as you.

    And I dont think the vollies lose out to the accountants or steel workers because they spout off the training they have. I think its because some people give the impression that because they have this training they dont need anymore. The accountants and such know nothing so they want to learn whatever they can. But there are us vollies that want to attend every bit of training we can, because there is always something to learn in the fire service.

    So dont group all the vollies into one group and all the FT into another group. The fire service as a whole has issues in it, and those issues are shared by both FT depts and Volunteer depts. We are all in this together, and if I get in trouble, I dont care if it is a full time guy or a volunteer guy coming, as long as someone comes and helps me. I'm sure the citizens that need someone dont care either. A fire truck is a fire truck to them, they dont care if the word volunteer is on the side of it or not. They just know someone is there to help.

    Oh yeah, I will ask why you think you are such a God to the fire service...I have enough burned whiskers to say this
    Last edited by FireDawgEMT22; 02-24-2008 at 07:03 PM.

  17. #37
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Toledo/Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    Amen Jake. (of course I'm just a volly who doesnt know what big bad Ole Man Fire is. My dept only ran 800 a year with almost NO EMS calls, thats fires and accidents only)

    I see a problem with SOME people on big city depts that come in fresh and just use the dept's training. They dont know anything else. If they get somewhere that something isnt working right, they dont have the background or experience to know how to use other equipment to do the same job. Of course you have the same problem wiht volunteer depts also. Problems are problems throughout the industry. Volunteers may have it a little harder sometimes because they never know how many people may respond, something you big city guys dont have to deal with, you know you will ALMOST always get x number of engines with y number of people.

    The training I have gotten at owens has been good, granted you dont get the heat build up or smoke that you see in the real world alot, but we want to teach people the basics, teach them the techniques, you learn the details in the field. If that wasnt the case a probie wouldnt be kept in the coat pocket of an officer or senior guy for his first year or so, even if the dept does their own academy.

    People are the weak link, not the training. If someone doesnt want to go to training or implement what they learn then they wont perform well. Happens both to vollies and FT. Yes we do get the same training,

    FT Volly
    240 240 (what do ya know we got em
    too, not required no, but encouraged)

    EMT-B EMT-B
    Paramedic Paramedic
    Confined space Confined space
    Hazmat Hazmat


    and the list goes on. We drill on our skills, we attend the CME credits also. We are not a bunch of yokels who just like lights and sirens. Can you not accept that we are professionals in our jobs also, we just dont get paid, or dont get paid as much as you.

    And I dont think the vollies lose out to the accountants or steel workers because they spout off the training they have. I think its because some people give the impression that because they have this training they dont need anymore. The accountants and such know nothing so they want to learn whatever they can. But there are us vollies that want to attend every bit of training we can, because there is always something to learn in the fire service.

    So dont group all the vollies into one group and all the FT into another group. The fire service as a whole has issues in it, and those issues are shared by both FT depts and Volunteer depts. We are all in this together, and if I get in trouble, I dont care if it is a full time guy or a volunteer guy coming, as long as someone comes and helps me. I'm sure the citizens that need someone dont care either. A fire truck is a fire truck to them, they dont care if the word volunteer is on the side of it or not. They just know someone is there to help.

    Oh yeah, I will ask why you think you are such a God to the fire service...I have enough burned whiskers to say this
    Run Forest! Run!
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

  18. #38
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Your right! we are all the same! Why and how could I have thought different? I think I will begin to try and be like you guys! I will stop working out, and stay at home with a radio. You guys have it good! Take care and good luck on the test!

  19. #39
    Forum Member backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skiwiz6 View Post
    Your right! we are all the same! Why and how could I have thought different? I think I will begin to try and be like you guys! I will stop working out, and stay at home with a radio. You guys have it good! Take care and good luck on the test!
    Whatever Chief.

    I know plenty of career guys who are in amazing shape.........and I know plenty who aren't in the best shape.

    The same could be said about vollie and POC guys.

    But now you are saying that career guys are physically superior beings because they aren't volunteer?

    Now I have heard it all.

    I truely am sorry that you see yourself as so high and mighty and vollies as so stupid, helpless, and inferiorly trained.

    Please crawl back into the cave that you came.


    Thanks!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  20. #40
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northwest OH
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skiwiz6 View Post
    Your right! we are all the same! Why and how could I have thought different? I think I will begin to try and be like you guys! I will stop working out, and stay at home with a radio. You guys have it good! Take care and good luck on the test!
    I gave my $.02 and I am not going to continue to argue this topic with you. You think you are the best there is out there because your not a volunteer. I whole heartedly disagree. But a wise man once told me, "Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

    I know many volunteers and even some explorers that I would put up against some of your Godlike brethern and put money on the vollies. Have a great life, and I hope you dont spew this when a volunteer happens to come along if you need help somewhere.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Just graduated from Academy - question
    By silentken in forum Probie House: The Place for Newbies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-25-2007, 10:07 PM
  2. Question for the Training Officers/Academy Instructors.
    By CALFFBOU in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
  3. Academy
    By ptankvf8 in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 11:47 AM
  4. Have you been to the academy?
    By afrexplorer1 in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-21-2006, 07:10 PM
  5. What was your academy like?
    By FutureFWFD in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts