Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skiwiz6 View Post
    Yep they sure do! a 8X8 1st floor room that is way to vented to be acurate. almost zero heat and smoke build up. So if you are a volunteer or on some small paid township this is the place for you!
    so am i to understand as a vollie or on a small dept im only going to see small fires with little smoke? im from sw ohio and know nothing about the the schools your talking about. any newer burn tower is going to be vented and have a smaller burn room. the days of starting huge fires in a block building are long over.

Forum Member

Just the response I expected from you.
    Owens good school for volunteer's and small departments, said this all along, just not the place for anyone looking for "live fire" training.

On the GOD statement: Grow-up you goof and get some whiskers before you start making statements like that.
    I'm gonna agree with the other guy......just cause you are a vollie you see fires that aren't as big or as hot as the big city boys do?

I happen to know of some volunteer departments that run just as much if not more fire than a particular big city around here.

And why is it that you want me to "grow up"? Because you don't like that I think that volunteers can be just as professional as FT guys? Or just because no one can challenge.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I would stack any of our biggest "POS" against the best of yours any day. What do you consider Big city? Oregon, rossford, Northwood? Just keep hating "sister".

Forum Member

I would stack any of our biggest "POS" against the best of yours any day. What do you consider Big city? Oregon, rossford, Northwood? Just keep hating "sister".
    Ok Ace Ventura,

big city = Toledo....the home (sadly) of the one and only Carlton Finkbiner

And what "POS" are you referring to?

Sister? yeah.....and I'M the one who needs to grow up. Name calling? Please.

I will gladly post links if you would like.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

You gotta wonder why you volly's and small time departments blow it in the interviews for the larger departments! With the battle on this thread and others throughout the forums it is obvious. See the thing is just because we are all on some kind of department doesnt make us equal! You guys swagger into the interviews and spout about all the great experience you have and all the "training" you got from the township and then they hire the accountant or the steel worker....sucks doesnt it! yes you do make fire runs and ems calls, but the volume and severity of those calls dwarf in comparison to the larger departments. You dont have equal the training or the fire experience as those boys and girls to the north of us so stop trying to compare to them. and TFD guy lay-off the forums leave these to the guys that have too much time on their hands and Idle pagers.

take care all and God bless

You gotta wonder why you volly's and small time departments blow it in the interviews for the larger departments! With the battle on this thread and others throughout the forums it is obvious. See the thing is just because we are all on some kind of department doesnt make us equal! You guys swagger into the interviews and spout about all the great experience you have and all the "training" you got from the township and then they hire the accountant or the steel worker....sucks doesnt it! yes you do make fire runs and ems calls, but the volume and severity of those calls dwarf in comparison to the larger departments. You dont have equal the training or the fire experience as those boys and girls to the north of us so stop trying to compare to them. and TFD guy lay-off the forums leave these to the guys that have too much time on their hands and Idle pagers.

take care all and God bless

Forum Member

Ok, so I found out today that I made it into the Academy class that begins March 1st (I was on the wait list). I was wondering if there was anything I should focus on in the next 2 weeks as far as PT goes in order to not be completely out of shape. I am in decent shape right now, passed my physical agility in 3:10, but was hoping someone could offer insight into some areas I should focus on and build a little more endurance with. Once again, any help is appreciated!

Forum Member

Just relax an do what they as you to do. They will make you do what you need to do and you will be fine. I have seen plenty of out of shape guys pass the academy. You sound like you truly want to be there, that is half the battle. Attitude is very important. Just watch out for the "Old Guy" that teaches there. You will know who it is when you see him...lol.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Alot of talk from NW ohio on here! Good luck at your academy kid! Dont ever come to NW Ohio and take part in the Owens experience. Like the TFD guy said it has no real fire training, just enough to get you killed, like they use to say in 36 hour class. the fire school we have here in May is pretty good if intersested, tought by some good guys and real fire is included. So try and get some non-propane fires under your belt so when you feel real heat breathing down your neck, you wont freak out! Right Rossford?

Forum Member

edit..........
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 02-25-2008 at 07:07 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    ...........and also on that note...........what about the guys on suburban departments that haven't lived here their whole lives and have actually seen a good amount of fire?.......and in some cases........more fire than alot of TFD guys.

Like I said, I know of vollie depts that run just as much, if not more fire than the big bad TFD.
    Amen Jake. (of course I'm just a volly who doesnt know what big bad Ole Man Fire is. My dept only ran 800 a year with almost NO EMS calls, thats fires and accidents only)

I see a problem with SOME people on big city depts that come in fresh and just use the dept's training. They dont know anything else. If they get somewhere that something isnt working right, they dont have the background or experience to know how to use other equipment to do the same job. Of course you have the same problem wiht volunteer depts also. Problems are problems throughout the industry. Volunteers may have it a little harder sometimes because they never know how many people may respond, something you big city guys dont have to deal with, you know you will ALMOST always get x number of engines with y number of people.

The training I have gotten at owens has been good, granted you dont get the heat build up or smoke that you see in the real world alot, but we want to teach people the basics, teach them the techniques, you learn the details in the field. If that wasnt the case a probie wouldnt be kept in the coat pocket of an officer or senior guy for his first year or so, even if the dept does their own academy.

People are the weak link, not the training. If someone doesnt want to go to training or implement what they learn then they wont perform well. Happens both to vollies and FT. Yes we do get the same training,

FT Volly
    240 240 (what do ya know we got em
    too, not required no, but encouraged)

EMT-B EMT-B
    Paramedic Paramedic
    Confined space Confined space
    Hazmat Hazmat

and the list goes on. We drill on our skills, we attend the CME credits also. We are not a bunch of yokels who just like lights and sirens. Can you not accept that we are professionals in our jobs also, we just dont get paid, or dont get paid as much as you.

And I dont think the vollies lose out to the accountants or steel workers because they spout off the training they have. I think its because some people give the impression that because they have this training they dont need anymore. The accountants and such know nothing so they want to learn whatever they can. But there are us vollies that want to attend every bit of training we can, because there is always something to learn in the fire service.

So dont group all the vollies into one group and all the FT into another group. The fire service as a whole has issues in it, and those issues are shared by both FT depts and Volunteer depts. We are all in this together, and if I get in trouble, I dont care if it is a full time guy or a volunteer guy coming, as long as someone comes and helps me. I'm sure the citizens that need someone dont care either. A fire truck is a fire truck to them, they dont care if the word volunteer is on the side of it or not. They just know someone is there to help.

Oh yeah, I will ask why you think you are such a God to the fire service...I have enough burned whiskers to say this
    Last edited by FireDawgEMT22; 02-24-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    Amen Jake. (of course I'm just a volly who doesnt know what big bad Ole Man Fire is. My dept only ran 800 a year with almost NO EMS calls, thats fires and accidents only)

I see a problem with SOME people on big city depts that come in fresh and just use the dept's training. They dont know anything else. If they get somewhere that something isnt working right, they dont have the background or experience to know how to use other equipment to do the same job. Of course you have the same problem wiht volunteer depts also. Problems are problems throughout the industry. Volunteers may have it a little harder sometimes because they never know how many people may respond, something you big city guys dont have to deal with, you know you will ALMOST always get x number of engines with y number of people.

The training I have gotten at owens has been good, granted you dont get the heat build up or smoke that you see in the real world alot, but we want to teach people the basics, teach them the techniques, you learn the details in the field. If that wasnt the case a probie wouldnt be kept in the coat pocket of an officer or senior guy for his first year or so, even if the dept does their own academy.

People are the weak link, not the training. If someone doesnt want to go to training or implement what they learn then they wont perform well. Happens both to vollies and FT. Yes we do get the same training,

FT Volly
    240 240 (what do ya know we got em
    too, not required no, but encouraged)

EMT-B EMT-B
    Paramedic Paramedic
    Confined space Confined space
    Hazmat Hazmat

and the list goes on. We drill on our skills, we attend the CME credits also. We are not a bunch of yokels who just like lights and sirens. Can you not accept that we are professionals in our jobs also, we just dont get paid, or dont get paid as much as you.

And I dont think the vollies lose out to the accountants or steel workers because they spout off the training they have. I think its because some people give the impression that because they have this training they dont need anymore. The accountants and such know nothing so they want to learn whatever they can. But there are us vollies that want to attend every bit of training we can, because there is always something to learn in the fire service.

So dont group all the vollies into one group and all the FT into another group. The fire service as a whole has issues in it, and those issues are shared by both FT depts and Volunteer depts. We are all in this together, and if I get in trouble, I dont care if it is a full time guy or a volunteer guy coming, as long as someone comes and helps me. I'm sure the citizens that need someone dont care either. A fire truck is a fire truck to them, they dont care if the word volunteer is on the side of it or not. They just know someone is there to help.

Oh yeah, I will ask why you think you are such a God to the fire service...I have enough burned whiskers to say this
    Run Forest! Run!
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Your right! we are all the same! Why and how could I have thought different? I think I will begin to try and be like you guys! I will stop working out, and stay at home with a radio. You guys have it good! Take care and good luck on the test!

Forum Member

Your right! we are all the same! Why and how could I have thought different? I think I will begin to try and be like you guys! I will stop working out, and stay at home with a radio. You guys have it good! Take care and good luck on the test!
    Whatever Chief.

I know plenty of career guys who are in amazing shape.........and I know plenty who aren't in the best shape.

The same could be said about vollie and POC guys.

But now you are saying that career guys are physically superior beings because they aren't volunteer?

Now I have heard it all.

I truely am sorry that you see yourself as so high and mighty and vollies as so stupid, helpless, and inferiorly trained.

Please crawl back into the cave that you came.

Thanks!

Forum Member

I gave my $.02 and I am not going to continue to argue this topic with you. You think you are the best there is out there because your not a volunteer. I whole heartedly disagree. But a wise man once told me, "Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I know many volunteers and even some explorers that I would put up against some of your Godlike brethern and put money on the vollies. Have a great life, and I hope you dont spew this when a volunteer happens to come along if you need help somewhere.

Forum Member

Take care boys

Forum Member

At the risk of sounding too intelligent for this conversation, STFU! It is absolutely amazing to me the BS that is being spewed here. The initial question was regarding the CCC academy wasn't it? If you two idiots want to shoot derogatory remarks at each other use your personal emails. Why do you feel like letting all of us knw who the village idiots are. Since you are both experts, do you even know where CCC is? You are both from the NW corner of the state. CCC is at least 2 hours East of either one of you. Grow up and shut up. Aren't these forums meant for information gathering and sharing? Now, I truly know why I belong to the IACOJ!
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

excuse me, I wasnt calling names, I was simply imforming him to drop the harssment of the vollies, I never once called him anything or in anyway made myself appear to be a village idiot...and your right the IACOJ doesnt have the people stating they are better than the other...and I NEVER claimed to be an expert at anything
    Last edited by FireDawgEMT22; 03-02-2008 at 12:22 AM.

Forum Member

Sorry but the Rossville Fd guys on here needed something to do since they are the best at everything! PS back to my original statement: If you want live fire training dont go to Owens community college!

Forum Member

Last edited by RFxplr326; 03-03-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Ok almighty Toledo Fire God.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDpzbmHMcEQ

What good representation of your department you offer... Job well done.
    Grow up.
    Kid, I think it is past your bedtime. Go get some milk and cookies and get lost.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Sorry but the Rossville Fd guys on here needed something to do since they are the best at everything! PS back to my original statement: If you want live fire training dont go to Owens community college!

And back to my original statement. Owens is good for the basics. If someone get all the smoke and heat without have a firm grasp on the basics then they wont be able to do anything right. You learn in the field, and if you expect someone to be an expert coming out of school then there are issues.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    Kid, I think it is past your bedtime. Go get some milk and cookies and get lost.
    You harrass about people talking down about others, and yet here you are doing the same thing...bravo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    You harrass about people talking down about others, and yet here you are doing the same thing...bravo
    Gump, it's just the great work of an excellent salesman/entrepreneur. Some of them salesmen out there seem to have those tactics where they **** off possible customers so then the ****ed-off customer turns around and spreads great word about the company at hand through word of mouth... Amazingly, business starts to dwindle. It's a pretty neat concept at hand.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Since both rfxplr326 and firedawgemt are on the same place I expect no less support for eachother, partners do that. How can you say owens is good for the basics? Hasnt even had a full 240 class go through yet.

Thread Information