Forum Member

Default CCC Academy question

I am looking into attending the Fire Academy at Tri-C that starts in March, and I saw that the price to take the class is around $750.00, I was wondering, anyone else who has paid their own way through the Academy, what are the "hidden" costs you have to pay...equipment,etc. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

Everyone goes home!

i went there last august and no matter what the price it is the best damn fire academy in the state of ohio!!!! well you have to rent your gear and your scba im not exactly sure on the price for this but i wanna say both of them are around 750$ if you have family or know someone that works at a fire dept they might let you borrow the bunker gear but they have a payment plan that is 3 installments of i think 650 maybe a little bit more if you have any more questions that i can help you with pm me

Forum Member

the best damn fire academy in the state of ohio!!!!
    And what might you have to base this claim off of? I'm just curious, because I've heard of plenty of other good places across the state. Such as the Ohio Fire Academy, Owens Community College, any of the big cities departmental academies....etc.

I know that Owens Community College has a very well known and respected Academy. Toledo Fire has actually moved its academy out to their campus. they just opened a $20.5 million Center for Emergency Preparedness.

If you want to start by getting your I-A card, there is no eaiser or better way than the State Fire School that is held at Bowling Green State University every May and October. You can knock out your I-A class in a week and it costs $325 I believe.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Everyone goes home!

Quote Originally Posted by ike053
    I guess other than cost, which it doesn't seem too expensive, as someone has offered to help me by lending me gear, what can I expect in terms of classroom work vs. Hands on training? Also, in general could you give me a rundown on what it's like to be there. (i.e. PT? what to wear? instructors? fire? homework?) Anything you feel would be important for me to know, or wish you had known going into the academy? Thanks again for answering my questions.
    when you have class room work it is lecture you learn alot from it then you will take a test on the lecture then you usually go out side for hands on. it is really fun to go to class you meet alot of new people that will be your family you have a uniform the have u wear its a t shirt and then blue pants and black boots. the instructors are all really cool and willing to help with everything you need home work you have to complete the workbook chapters for the following day!!! any others just ask im willing to help with anything you need also do the 10 week program so it will be monday wednesday friday do not do the six week you will be way to tired

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    You can knock out your I-A class in a week and it costs $325 I believe.
    What department even allows 36hr as a minimum any more? The state minimum is 120hr if you respond from a station. This changed a couple of years ago. Get your 240 card if you even think this is what you want to do. I makes no difference which academy you go to. Go to the one that is close to you. They all have to teach the same information. If any of you think you are going to be real fireman when you are done in the academy, you are sorely mistaken. The academy is a starting point. You need to get a lot of OTJ training and pay attention to the guys with experience.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    What department even allows 36hr as a minimum any more? The state minimum is 120hr if you respond from a station. This changed a couple of years ago. Get your 240 card if you even think this is what you want to do. I makes no difference which academy you go to. Go to the one that is close to you. They all have to teach the same information. If any of you think you are going to be real fireman when you are done in the academy, you are sorely mistaken. The academy is a starting point. You need to get a lot of OTJ training and pay attention to the guys with experience.
    You would be very surprised at how many departments only require the 36 card.

Very surprised.

I wasn't sure if the OP wanted to go FT, PT, or volunteer. And regardless, it's not a bad place to start either way. If he just wants to get his feet wet, why not try the I-A class.

Sure, everyone knows that the 36 hour class only teaches you enough to get yourself hurt, but it is still a valid certification that is the minimum requirement for, I would say, a majority of the fire departments in the state.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Everyone goes home!

still get it over with and get your 240 and CCC i believe is the only academy in the state that burns a real house most other places use burn building which doesn't teach you real firefighting
    Last edited by FFYagour88; 01-29-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Forum Member

Owens is good if you dont need any "live fire" training in your academy. Toledo fire uses it yes, but does all live fire training at Airport facility or houses in the city, so not much real fire training at Owens.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    You would be very surprised at how many departments only require the 36 card.
    The only way a 36 hour card is even "legal" any more in Ohio is for a true volunteer department. I am sure that in the rural areas that mey be the case. But, if you staff your station at all, your personnel are required to have more than 36 hours. I am not even sure if they grandfathered anyone in. I think everyone had to comply. We made our people get up to snuff.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I appreciate all the answers so fast, and I plan to do the Tues/Thurs/Sat class which is in the evening because I work 8a-4p Mon-Fri, which lasts a few months so it doesn't appear to be a rushed program. If I think of anything else I will be sure to ask, and thanks again.

And as far as involvement I have been taking tests with a few cities, tryng to get a FT job and start off the career I really want, and I am sitting okay on the lists, so I may get a look. And being able to go into an interview and say I've done the Academy and have my 240 would be a huge help i believe.
    Last edited by ike053; 01-29-2008 at 03:55 PM.

Everyone goes home!

good luck budd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    The only way a 36 hour card is even "legal" any more in Ohio is for a true volunteer department. I am sure that in the rural areas that mey be the case. But, if you staff your station at all, your personnel are required to have more than 36 hours. I am not even sure if they grandfathered anyone in. I think everyone had to comply. We made our people get up to snuff.
    Thats what I meant, because a majority of departments are volunteer.

And I knwow that there are plenty of departments who staff either a medic unit, engine, echo unit, or likewise from 7 or 8 am to 4 or 5 pm and the personnel working these shifts do not have to have a 120 or even 240 card. Just a 36.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ike053 View Post
    I appreciate all the answers so fast, and I plan to do the Tues/Thurs/Sat class which is in the evening because I work 8a-4p Mon-Fri, which lasts a few months so it doesn't appear to be a rushed program. If I think of anything else I will be sure to ask, and thanks again.

And as far as involvement I have been taking tests with a few cities, tryng to get a FT job and start off the career I really want, and I am sitting okay on the lists, so I may get a look. And being able to go into an interview and say I've done the Academy and have my 240 would be a huge help i believe.
    If you applied to Toledo, which the closing date is Wed I believe, they will put you through their academy regardless of you firefighting cert or which department you were on previously.

And I could be wrong, but I dont think that Toledo Fire does any training at all anymore out at the old training facility by the airport because that facility has been transferred over to the Northwest Ohio Region 1 Urban Search and Rescue Team.

Keep in mind that I could be 125% wrong.

I know that alot of area departments also send people to MURAD for burn time as well.

Forum Member

Keep on 'em Jake !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Clarification on State Rules

The state still only requires firefighter 1&2 for full time employees everyone else is still classified as a volunteer and the only state requirement is the 36 hour course. There is no section in state law that applies to part-time or part paid employees. The state's stand is that is a local decision. P.S. CCC does run a good show if they are in your price range and neighborhood that would be where you should go.

Forum Member

Urban search truck is present at airport facility. Trust me there is alot of sweat and blood on the pavement out there from the last two TFD Drill school classes. If you get the job in october bet your *** you will spend a great deal of time at the airport.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skiwiz6 View Post
    Urban search truck is present at airport facility.
    Yup. Just what I said above. I've been out there plenty.

Trust me there is alot of sweat and blood on the pavement out there from the last two TFD Drill school classes. If you get the job in october bet your *** you will spend a great deal of time at the airport
    I was just going off of what I had heard from certain TFD higher ups.

Like I said, could be wrong.

Forum Member

Listen the whole point of the Owens posting was to state that we dont use owens for "live fire". Unless you want propane and a couple of pallets to be your "live fire" find another academy.

Forum Member

Listen the whole point of the Owens posting was to state that we dont use owens for "live fire". Unless you want propane and a couple of pallets to be your "live fire" find another academy.
    Yuuuuuuuuuuup.

I knew that and was not contesting that.

I was just saying that I thought that I had heard that all TFD training was shifting out to Owens.

Don't get your panties all in a bundle.

Forum Member

whatever you goof. Good-luck on the test.

Forum Member

whatever you goof. Good-luck on the test.
    Sorry if I offended you, but I have no desire to get on TFD and have not put in an application. I wont even be here in 6 mos anyways.

Forum Member

Actually Owens does do live fire training in its burn building. A MAJORITY of the fire scenarios and trainers are gas fired and such. However, they do have a live fire room in which they burn hay and stuff.

Forum Member

Yep they sure do! a 8X8 1st floor room that is way to vented to be acurate. almost zero heat and smoke build up. So if you are a volunteer or on some small paid township this is the place for you!

Forum Member

Yep they sure do! a 8X8 1st floor room that is way to vented to be acurate. almost zero heat and smoke build up. So if you are a volunteer or on some small paid township this is the place for you!
    Dude!

What's your beef with vollie or small departments and even Owens?

Now I dont know for sure, but it sounds like you are on TFD and think that you are the be all and end all of the firefighting community.

Maybe I'm interpreting things wrong, but it sures seems like you are a self proclaimed God.

Forum Member

Just the response I expected from you.
    Owens good school for volunteer's and small departments, said this all along, just not the place for anyone looking for "live fire" training.

On the GOD statement: Grow-up you goof and get some whiskers before you start making statements like that.

Thread Information