Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lostinlox View Post
    Hey in a populated area,I fully understand,
    I just don't think most people really understand,when I say I'm in a small town...I mean SMALL,Pop. 450....like I said orginally,I've lived in Palm Beach County for over 20 years(Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue),they dont run sirens every single time,so what it boils down to is what state your in,it's clearly not a "blanket law" that covers everyone.
    Tell me this.....If you come to a red light, and no one is around, do you stop at it or do you just keep going. Same thing don't you think??????

It is not about what you think should be happening. It is about us doing our jobs. You may think that you asked a simple question, but the way that you asked it, shows your disrespect for us. So, in fact, your question was not simple at all. It was a jab at how "comical" us firefighters are.

Next time you have a question about how we do business, please talk to your local fire department or department of public safety in person. This way you could possibly get an answer to your "simple" question. Otherwise, take your jabs at FF somewhere else.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Default sirens needed?

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    Tell me this.....If you come to a red light, and no one is around, do you stop at it or do you just keep going. Same thing don't you think??????

It is not about what you think should be happening. It is about us doing our jobs. You may think that you asked a simple question, but the way that you asked it, shows your disrespect for us. So, in fact, your question was not simple at all. It was a jab at how "comical" us firefighters are.

Next time you have a question about how we do business, please talk to your local fire department or department of public safety in person. This way you could possibly get an answer to your "simple" question. Otherwise, take your jabs at FF somewhere else.

FIRENUT,you too FAILED to read my comment to.....IT IS HAPPENING,IT DOES HAPPEN,maybe not where YOUR at...but it DOES happen,otherwise why would I bring it up,I've said this about 10 times....It's not about what I think should happen,it's already happening.....If you would step out of your almighty fire boots for a second and look from my point of view(which I think will be impossible for most ppl on here),but to leave the big,over-populated,city where theres cars and people around at all hours of the day and night,and to see rescue trucks running with LIGHTS ONLY(turning on thier siren at intersections only),and then to come up here to small town USA where your lucky to see 10 cars on the road in a 24 hour period and see 2 depts(joint response) responding code 3 with no one around,no driveways where some one could pull out of,no intersection,no man holes that some one could pop up out of,and see that it looks a little odd...no jabs taken,loosen your boots,let some blood flow to your brain and see if you can see it from my point of view(I know,I know,you cant,your gonna run lights and sirens all the time no matter what)

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

FIRENUT,you too FAILED to read my comment to.....IT IS HAPPENING,IT DOES HAPPEN,maybe not where YOUR at...but it DOES happen,otherwise why would I bring it up,I've said this about 10 times....It's not about what I think should happen,it's already happening.....If you would step out of your almighty fire boots for a second and look from my point of view(which I think will be impossible for most ppl on here),but to leave the big,over-populated,city where theres cars and people around at all hours of the day and night,and to see rescue trucks running with LIGHTS ONLY(turning on thier siren at intersections only),and then to come up here to small town USA where your lucky to see 10 cars on the road in a 24 hour period and see 2 depts(joint response) responding code 3 with no one around,no driveways where some one could pull out of,no intersection,no man holes that some one could pop up out of,and see that it looks a little odd...no jabs taken,loosen your boots,let some blood flow to your brain and see if you can see it from my point of view(I know,I know,you cant,your gonna run lights and sirens all the time no matter what)
    Look it is really simple, I'll try one more time to explain it to you.

1) IF the law of your state says when an emergency vehicle is in motion and the warning lights are on the siren must be on too then it is end of story. Those who do otherwise bring ADDITIONAL liability upon themselves y violating the law.

2) City or small town or rural road, there is no distinction in the law on how you should respond.

3) What is it about the above 2 points YOU simply REFUSE to understand?

4) If you are advocating NON-Emergency responses so they don't wake you up at night then you are foolish beyond belief.

Forum Member

Default sirens needed?

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post

1) IF the law of your state says when an emergency vehicle is in motion and the warning lights are on the siren must be on too then it is end of story. Those who do otherwise bring ADDITIONAL liability upon themselves y violating the law.

2) City or small town or rural road, there is no distinction in the law on how you should respond.

4) If you are advocating NON-Emergency responses so they don't wake you up at night then you are foolish beyond belief.
    If you look back this is the FIRST time you've posted this,the other time was for Wisconsin law...which does me no good...besides...I'm not "debating"(which is a friendly way of saying arguing) with you,me and Wischief have come to terms and made nicey nice....why can't you?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Lox,

I wondered if some of the confusion came about from the IL FF's following code, and maybe the FL FF's weren't? Therefore, I did some research and found this section of the FL code, which is very similar to my state's:

316.271 Horns and warning devices.--

(1) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet.

(2) No horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

(3) The driver of a motor vehicle shall, when reasonably necessary to ensure safe operation, give audible warning with his or her horn, but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.

(4) No vehicle shall be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any siren, whistle, or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section.

(5) It is permissible but not required that any vehicle be equipped with a theft alarm signal device which is so arranged that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal.

(6) Every authorized emergency vehicle shall be equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 500 feet and of a type approved by the department, but such siren, whistle, or bell shall not be used except when the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, in which event the driver of the vehicle shall sound the siren, whistle, or bell when reasonably necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of the approach thereof.

(7) Notwithstanding the other provisions of this section, a trolley may be equipped with a bell, and the bell is not required to be used only as a warning device. As used in this subsection, the term "trolley" includes any bus which resembles a streetcar, which is powered by overhead electric wires or is self-propelled, and which is used primarily as a public conveyance.

(8) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 4, ch. 86-36; s. 1, ch. 88-91; s. 325, ch. 95-148; s. 203, ch. 99-248.
    It looks as though the FL personnel may well have been operating within the limits of the statute, whereas the IL folks are compelled to follow different rules, which creates some of the differences you're seeing....
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

makes good girls go bad

Nah nah nah nah nah

I know, real mature.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

After 11 years, I have just gotten tired of hearing it all the time. Emergency lights or not, siren or not, if I am responding to a call and disobeying any of the traffic laws (speeding, red signal, etc.) I am at fault in the crash. Why aggrivate the public (who have to vote on and pay the taxes that fund me) at all times of the night when it really wasn't necessary in the first place? I can't think of a single person that obeys EVERY traffic law ALL the time.

If I am speeding down the road with siren on or not and can't stop in time for the lady in a wheelchair crossing the street, I am certainly not using any due regard for the safety of others. The plaintiff's attorney would ask me: "Why were you driving in a manner that you were unable to avoid hitting my client? The driver of an emergency vehicle should only go at a speed that allows him to avoid an accident.

Drivers here do a lot of stupid things around fire trucks. We have to avoid that on a daily basis. They go left, right, slam on brakes, etc. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Here is the LA law concerining emergency vehicles:

24. Emergency vehicles; exceptions

A. The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call, or when in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, or when responding to, but not upon returning from, a fire alarm, may exercise the privileges set forth in this Section, but subject to the conditions herein stated.

B. The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle may:

(1) Park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of this Chapter;

(2) Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down or stopping as may be necessary for safe operation;

(3) Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as he does not endanger life or property;

(4) Disregard regulations governing the direction of movement or turning in specified directions.

C. The exceptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when such vehicle is making use of audible or visual signals sufficient to warn motorists of their approach, except that a police vehicle need not be equipped with or display a red light visible from in front of the vehicle.

D. The foregoing provisions shall not relieve the driver of an authorized vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor shall such provisions protect the driver from the consequences of his reckless disregard for the safety of others.

Acts 1962, No. 310, 1. Amended by Acts 1980, No. 160, 1.
    CHAOS = Chief Has Arrived on Scene

Forum Member

Thumbs up sirens needed?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Lox,

I wondered if some of the confusion came about from the IL FF's following code, and maybe the FL FF's weren't? Therefore, I did some research and found this section of the FL code, which is very similar to my state's:

It looks as though the FL personnel may well have been operating within the limits of the statute, whereas the IL folks are compelled to follow different rules, which creates some of the differences you're seeing....
    Thank you BoxAlarm,you and a cpl others on here have been helpful,thanks for taking the time.

Forum Member

Exclamation sirens needed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoclI...=user...enough said

Forum Member

Thumbs up sirens needed?

In one very simple answer,the debate is over....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostinlox
    I have a question...I'm not a FF,and this is an honest question....let me first say that I have lived in South Florida for over 20 years(Palm Beach County),there you see fire trucks,ambulances,police cars,etc,everyday.....if thier lane of traffic down there is clear(on a 2 lane road,no intersections near) they don't use thier sirens most of the time,if it's in the middle of the night/early morning when most people are in bed,they don't use thier sirens,with that said....I moved to a small town in East Central IL with a VFD,lots of flat farm land,you can see for miles if the crops aren't in and grown,you can see for miles around that thier isn't a vehicle or person nearby and they have thier lights(which is not a prob) and the sirens(which can be a prob) blaring,prime example,at 6:30am today,the FD goes by the house sirens screaming,not a car within miles in any direction,what is the point,are they just siren happy,or is it a law,just doesn't make any sense to me,to me the only thing that is accomplished at that point is that it wakes the town up so that they call all follow you to the scene,can anyone help me out here?

24Fireman says...

I live in East Central IL also and we had a call this morning at 6:30, where about do you live?
    It is law in IL that a fire truck or ambulance is not a authorized emergency vehichle unless it is using both lights and siren. But we do cut the siren most of the time in the early morning hours until we get to the main road. At 6:30 however a lot of people are heading to work so using the siren right away is called for.

Forum Member

hmmm... must be nice to have people "actually" pull over. Why is running sirens such an issue for you? Honestly..
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Forum Member

Thumbs up sirens needed?

Quote Originally Posted by CooterRob View Post
    hmmm... must be nice to have people "actually" pull over. Why is running sirens such an issue for you? Honestly..
    Cooter....Not a real big issue,I just had a simple question,that alot of people blew way out of porportion....,but thanks to "the24firmeman" it's all cleared up,debate over...but I'm sure I'll still take some abuse,lol

Forum Member

Cooter....Not a real big issue,I just had a simple question,that alot of people blew way out of porportion....,but thanks to "the24firmeman" it's all cleared up,debate over...but I'm sure I'll still take some abuse,lol

It was cleared up a long time ago, you just would not listen. I believe that you were the one who blew this way out of proportion. Most of us told you that the laws are different in different states (and even in different cities). Sooooooooooo, you complaining that fire trucks were waking you up was a mute point. Take care and have a nice day.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Thumbs down sirens needed?

See Cooter,some just can't let it lay,just have to get the last word in........Oh wait,i guess that's what I'm doing right now....but hey,I had the 1st word,so I should have the last word too,but I'm sure TheFireBut will have something else to add.

What was that video supposed to show? I couldn't see the first half of it because it was too dark but the part I did see was a fire trucking going through a green light. Its still not a bad idea to use a siren there but they chose not to. Plus, do you know what they were responding to?

Forum Member

See Cooter,some just can't let it lay,just have to get the last word in........Oh wait,i guess that's what I'm doing right now....but hey,I had the 1st word,so I should have the last word too,but I'm sure TheFireBut will have something else to add.
    No lostinlox...you are just another in a long line of trolls who appear here, stir the pot with a question that you don't like the answers to and then proceed to name call and become belligerent. You got your question answered several times, by those quoting locals SOG's and by those quoting state statute. You simply don't want to be woke up if the fire trucks go by your house at 3 am and that is the jist of your entire question. Too bad, so sad, if you lived in my jurisdiction the siren and red lights WILL be used together every time we respond emergency and the state of Wisconsin says that is the way it is supposed to be, PERIOD. So get over it and move on.

So call me names, and do what ever you need to.

Forum Member

Now he's posting same thing in: Blue Light Laws in Illinois. I think best thing for him to do is move or sleep with ear plugs.

What was that video supposed to show? I couldn't see the first half of it because it was too dark but the part I did see was a fire trucking going through a green light. Its still not a bad idea to use a siren there but they chose not to. Plus, do you know what they were responding to?

Forum Member

Thumbs down sirens needed?

[QUOTE=FyredUp;916423]No lostinlox...you are just another in a long line of trolls who appear here, stir the pot with a question that you don't like the answers to and then proceed to name call and become belligerent. You got your question answered several times, by those quoting locals SOG's and by those quoting state statute. You simply don't want to be woke up if the fire trucks go by your house at 3 am and that is the jist of your entire question. Too bad, so sad, if you lived in my jurisdiction the siren and red lights WILL be used together every time we respond emergency and the state of Wisconsin says that is the way it is supposed to be, PERIOD. So get over it and move on.

So call me names, and do what ever you need to.[/QUOTE

I'm busted,yup,your right fyredup,i'm just here to name call and stir the pot and become belligerent,maybe you need to go back and re-read all the posts,and see who it was that started with the name calling and the swearing,wasn't me....and I'm not saying it was you,but it was a FF that went there first.....I never got an answer to MY question,sure I got SOP's for wisconsin and NW Ohio and everywhere else,but never in IL,not until BoxAlarm and the12firemen came along did I get my question answered,your whole statement even THIS time is about Wisconsin,loosen your boots,let some blood get to your brain....I DONT NEED INFO ON WISCONSIN,THAT DOES ME NO GOOD......this all started out with a innocent question that I thought I would be able to get from a professional here on this public website,myself and wischief have come to terms,he even offered to send me a patch from his dept.....so why cant you be mature enough to settle down,and stop accussing me of "stirring the pot" and be beligerent,and whatever else you think i'am......I even had one FF send me an email apoligizing for the abuse i've recieved from here,I wont mention his name,because then people like you will probably attack him.....

makes good girls go bad

Funny this thread and timing.

Anyone read this month's JEMS? Excellent article by Thom Dick.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I'm busted,yup,your right fyredup,i'm just here to name call and stir the pot and become belligerent,maybe you need to go back and re-read all the posts,and see who it was that started with the name calling and the swearing,wasn't me....and I'm not saying it was you,but it was a FF that went there first.....I never got an answer to MY question,sure I got SOP's for wisconsin and NW Ohio and everywhere else,but never in IL,not until BoxAlarm and the12firemen came along did I get my question answered,your whole statement even THIS time is about Wisconsin,loosen your boots,let some blood get to your brain....I DONT NEED INFO ON WISCONSIN,THAT DOES ME NO GOOD......this all started out with a innocent question that I thought I would be able to get from a professional here on this public website,myself and wischief have come to terms,he even offered to send me a patch from his dept.....so why cant you be mature enough to settle down,and stop accussing me of "stirring the pot" and be beligerent,and whatever else you think i'am......I even had one FF send me an email apoligizing for the abuse i've recieved from here,I wont mention his name,because then people like you will probably attack him.....
    First of all, I went back and reread your first post, no where in your post do you say you only want answers or opinions ONLY from the Illinois fire service.

Secondly, if all you wanted was firefighters from Illinois to answer why didn't you post in the Illinois forum on here? There is one of those, but I suppose you already know that don't you?

Thirdly, I see you as a pot stirrer who grew indignant when those of use that tried to answer your question weren't a) from Illinois, b) giving you the answer you wanted.

Have a nice life...

Forum Member

Default sirens needed?

First of all, I went back and reread your first post, no where in your post do you say you only want answers or opinions ONLY from the Illinois fire service.

Secondly, if all you wanted was firefighters from Illinois to answer why didn't you post in the Illinois forum on here? There is one of those, but I suppose you already know that don't you?

Thirdly, I see you as a pot stirrer who grew indignant when those of use that tried to answer your question weren't a) from Illinois, b) giving you the answer you wanted.

Have a nice life...

I will,Thank you very much

Thread Information