Forum Member

Cool Sirens needed???

I'm new to this site,and thought I posted this question,but can't find it anywhere on here,so If I repeat myself,them I'm sorry....with that said....

Let me first say that I'm NOT a FF but I've got a question about the use of sirens.

Let me first say,that I have lived in South FL(Palm Beach County)for over 20 years,I'd see ambulances and fire trucks daily,multiple times.

It's not uncommon down there,that if your on a 2 lane road,no intersections close by and you meet an emergency vehicle going in the oppsite direction,to just continue on without pulling over and in that case they won't have thier sirens on.

Up here is a different story,I live just outside a small town in East Central Illinois,population 450.......Sat. morning 6:30am I hear sirens,after realizing I'm not dreaming,I jump up to make sure my house and my nieghbors are ok,they were,and there it goes,the ambulance...the ONLY vehicle on the road for miles around....with it's siren blaring...So I ask,are they just siren happy....I mean if there isn't a vehicle within miles of you,and it's all flat land,so you can see for miles,why have the siren on at 6:30am on a Sat....The only thing I ever see that siren doing is alerting the rest of the town to let them them know something is going on and to follow them out to the call to gawk and cause traffic probs

I usually find it comical to see the whole dept,and the nieghboring town who responds jointly with our dept....rushing to the scene...not another car with in miles,all of them with thier sirens on...but when they get me out of bed,the comedy end's.

So let me know what's up.

Thank you!!
    Last edited by lostinlox; 01-29-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Forum Member

All depends on the laws, SOP's and preference. I have run code with no sirens and with sirens. Arkansas law states you will run sirens with lights. If its not deer season I will run lights only, deer season sirens always.

Forum Member

Lots of states have a law stating if you are using your emergency lights you must also be using your sirens, or at least all possible means of warning (i.e. if your a volly FF and only have lights you must be using them all).

I know lots of people dont follow it, and its kind of a give or take kind of thing. In Vermont the general rule on my department is between 11pm and 6am we do not use sirens except if deemed nessicary (sp). This "rule" goes against the Vermont State Law that says were supposed to be using the lights and sirens if we have them.

Forum Member

Default Sirens Needed?

Quote Originally Posted by lostinlox View Post
    I'm new to this site,and thought I posted this question,but can't find it anywhere on here,so If I repeat myself,them I'm sorry....with that said....

Let me first say that I'm NOT a FF but I've got a question about the use of sirens.

Let me first say,that I have lived in South FL(Palm Beach County)for over 20 years,I's dee ambulances and fire trucks daily,multiple times.

It's not uncommon down there,that if your on a 2 lane road,no intersections close by and you meet an emergency vehicle going in the oppsite direction,to just continue on without pulling over and in that case they won't have thier sirens on.

Up here is a different story,I live just outside a small town pop. 450,Sat. morning 6:30am I hear sirens,after realizing I'm not dreaming,I jump up to make sure my house and my nieghbors are ok,they were,and there it goes,the ambulance...the ONLY vehicle on the road for miles around....with it's siren blaring...So I ask,are they just siren happy....I mean if there isn't a vehicle within miles of you,and it's all flat land,so you can see for miles,why have the siren on at 6:30am on a Sat....The only thing I ever see that siren doing is alerting the rest of the town to let them them know something is going on and to follow them out to the call to gawk and cause traffic probs

I usually find it comical to see the whole dept,and the nieghboring town who responds jointly with our dept....rushing to the scene...not another car with in miles,all of them with thier sirens on...but when they get me out of bed,the comedy end's.

Thank you!!

P.S....I left out that I'am in IL now

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

In some departments it is standard operating procedure to respond to ALL emergencies with lights and sirens. The driver is not given the option to use them or not.

Now, maybe the department in your area has it as SOP to respond with sirens to all calls. I think nowadays that most departments either leave it to the discretion of the driver, or have a tiered system where a certain level of emergency warrants a particular level of response.

Furthermore, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of departments who have "all sirens, all the time" policies have them because at some point in the past, there was an accident involving a response where sirens were not used when they should have been.

By the way, think carefully before coming on a firefighter's website and commenting on how "comical" it is for the fire department to respond with lights and sirens....Put yourself in the position of the victim, someone in your community, your neighbor, who called for help. If your child, spouse, significant other, whatever was not breathing, or your house was on fire, would it seem so "comical" to hear those sirens approaching? Would you want your neighbors to be concerned, or annoyed? No offense intended, just a little something to think about.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

In Wisconsin you have to run both lights and sirens by law. If we are involved in an accident and only running lights, guess who will be at fault. All it takes is one car to pull out of a driveway somewhere. Better to wake the neighbors than open that can of worms.

lostinlox, why don't you send a letter to your local fire dept/ambulance service and let them know if you have an emergency at your house, they should take their time.
    Last edited by wischief; 01-29-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Forum Member

In Ohio, if you are running with lights you must have sirens on.

Ipso facto,

Both must be on or nothing must be on (responding with normal traffic)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Where I live if you run lights, you gotta run sirens. So I assume thats the same case for where you live.

Forum Member

Default sirens needed

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    In some departments it is standard operating procedure to respond to ALL emergencies with lights and sirens. The driver is not given the option to use them or not.

Now, maybe the department in your area has it as SOP to respond with sirens to all calls. I think nowadays that most departments either leave it to the discretion of the driver, or have a tiered system where a certain level of emergency warrants a particular level of response.

Furthermore, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of departments who have "all sirens, all the time" policies have them because at some point in the past, there was an accident involving a response where sirens were not used when they should have been.

By the way, think carefully before coming on a firefighter's website and commenting on how "comical" it is for the fire department to respond with lights and sirens....Put yourself in the position of the victim, someone in your community, your neighbor, who called for help. If your child, spouse, significant other, whatever was not breathing, or your house was on fire, would it seem so "comical" to hear those sirens approaching? Would you want your neighbors to be concerned, or annoyed? No offense intended, just a little something to think about.....
    I didnt ask for a lecture on how I should phrase a paragragh...why don't you,re-read my "question"...I thought carefully before I put "comical" in there,it has nothing to do about where they are going or if they are coming to my house,your house or the presidents house...if they are needed,then great....but you were unable to read it correctly,and answer a simple question,you had to over read it....and by the way,in my town,the only thing that would get in there way is a train...and i dont care how big of siren you have,you arent moving that out of the way.

Forum Member

Default sirens needed

Quote Originally Posted by wischief View Post
    In Wisconsin you have to run both lights and sirens by law. If we are involved in an accident and only running lights, guess who will be at fault. All it takes is one car to pull out of a driveway somewhere. Better to wake the neighbors than open that can of worms.

lostinlox, why don't you send a letter to your local fire dept/ambulance service and let them know if you have an emergency at your house, they should take their time.
    Why do you do this,you to over read my question....did i ever say ANYTHING about slowing down,maybe you should re-read it...chief....wait i'll re-read it too...........nope nothing there about slowing down and taking thier time.

Forum Member

Default sirens needed

Hey just wanted to say thank you to the 4 fire fighters who were able to answer my question without "lecturing" me about the way I wrote it....Leave it to the Chiefs to bark out orders and complaints to me.

Keep up your good work.

Forum Member

to be honest, even if it wasnt law, I would ALWAYS run a siren if I was using lights. as said above, all it takes is one person coming out a driveway, or not looking at the road. Besides, if I have to be up, everyone should be up. wind up that Q

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    Besides, if I have to be up, everyone should be up. wind up that Q
    Which was our thinking when we were manufacturing the Federal Q "Rossford Edition" am I right Gump?
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

exactly

ok I have to say more than exactly...hmmmno that would include to many explitive deleteds

Forum Member

BRILLIANT!!!!!

I still have to remake those certificates.

Hell, maybe I'll even go buy frames.

Forum Member

Thank you!!
    Now that you KNOW what's up.......what is your response?????
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

P.S....I left out that I'am in IL now
    In Illinois if an emergency vehicle has its lights on, it legally has to have its siren on also. Sorry to wake you and everyone else up, but its something we have to do.

But like others have said, all it takes is one person backing out of their driveway that didn't see the lights. This is especially true on roads like you are describing. People check once, briefly, before backing out and don't notice the ambulance coming. We are going to do whatever we have to do to protect ourselves and our patients lives, not waking people up is a little lower on the list of priorities.
    DJ

IAFF L738
    www.iafflocal738.org

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sirens Rarely Needed

We rarely use our sirens. There realy is no need to use them in a rural setting. Drive at a safe speed and watch out for others. Getting on scene a little latter is better than NOT GETTING THERE AT ALL!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bendone View Post
    We rarely use our sirens. There realy is no need to use them in a rural setting. Drive at a safe speed and watch out for others. Getting on scene a little latter is better than NOT GETTING THERE AT ALL!!!
    I know that a majority of rural departments around here always use their sirens......well as I posted above, it IS state law.

But anyways, just because you are driving at a safe speed and watching out for others doesn't mean that Joe Schmo Civilian is watching out fo ryou.

Your siren doesn't give you permission to be Speed Racer, it is meant to warn vehicles and people ahead of you.

Use your siren.

MembersZone Subscriber

bendone, while I agree with you sirens are not always needed in a rural setting, as I stated above if something were to happen you are automatically at fault. I don't know where you are located, but believe it or not around here there are drunk drivers on the road once in a while. They just don't think like the rest of us. Just one example.

MembersZone Subscriber

If a Drunk would pull out in front of you with out a siren on what makes you think they wouldn't do it with a siren on?? Also if the person is drunk wouldn't that make an accident their Fault? Also we have depts in our area that leave their sirens on all the time and then try to talk on the radio, they are very hard to understand.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    Besides, if I have to be up, everyone should be up. wind up that Q
    I hate it when I hear people say that. You wanna intentionally disturb everyone because you elected to go on a call in the middle of the night?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation sirens: a common sense thing

I'm a Firefighter/ EMT from WV. I'm not exactly sure whether the law says that we have to have lights AND sirens running at all times, and I'm wondering if everyone who has replied has really read their state codes. When I took EVOC, I learned in the class that if I'm in an accident I'm responsible whether the lights AND/or sirens were on or not. I volly for my fire dept. and I'm paid by our ambulance service. In both cases, we use our sirens with respect to our location. If there's traffic, yes we use both. If not, then lights only. It might also be worth considering that certain locations may warrant not using sirens or lights. I.E. neighborhoods filled with "false alarms." people seeking drugs from an ambulance or some other scheme to lure emergency responders.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I hate it when I hear people say that. You wanna intentionally disturb everyone because you elected to go on a call in the middle of the night?

hmm last time I checked, callin 911 doesnt usually mean "come help me if you feel like it"

and after 11pm I usually drive code 2 anyways, the lights between my house and the station go "blinky blinky" (yeah it sounds cool) after 11pm. Also, as I said before, if my lights are on, my siren is on. Period, end of story. Same on the truck, engine, ambulance, whatever, lights are on, siren is on...
    Last edited by FireDawgEMT22; 01-31-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Don't get preachy with me about going on calls in the middle of the night. I meant that the individual member chooses to go on the call based on thier availability (have to look after the kids, got to go to work in 2 hours, wife needs the car, just came home from the bar, whatever). The department is compelled to respond, not the individual.

I also have to agree with part of OwensB's post. How many people here have actually read thier state codes? Ask 90% of the personnel at my work if your siren has to be on when the lights are on, and they'll give you an emphatic "yes!" However, the state code actually says that the siren must be used as "reasonably necessary." Be familiar with your state law ... rest assured that the lawyers will be if you're involved in an accident either emergency or non-emergency.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information