Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CAPN22 View Post
    On a related note, South Carolina Electric & Gas Co. has filed an objection to a second motion filed by American LaFrance that would pre-empt the utility’s ability to alter, refuse or discontinue services to the manufacturer’s Summerville facility while it remains in bankruptcy, and that would establish procedures governing the utility’s relationship with American LaFrance outside of its normal billing and service procedures.

If approved by the court, the motion would also mandate that SCE&G accept a security deposit from American LaFrance equal to its average utility use during a two-week period.

SCE&G maintains that such a mandate would hardly protect its interests. In its objection the utility said that since June 1, 2007, American LaFrance was 30 days or more in arrears on one of its accounts with the provider, and that another of its accounts was discontinued in December.

The utility claims it was owed $40,556.46 prior to American LaFrance’s bankruptcy declaration. Its objection to American LaFrance’s request does not spell out an alternative to what has been proposed.

That certainly sounds like a typical utility company. Nickle/dime to them and in the grant scheme of the problem to ALF as well. A utility will blow $40k on a fancy SUV for a sales rep or on "marketing" but wants to shut off a customer in order to help them with generate revenue with which to pay their bills. That's what you get with a "regulated" government sponsored monopoly.

Forum Member

Question Where is the reply

So where is the reply from ALF, or they continuing the two step suffle as they have been doing for a long time, I am sorry customer J your truck is going to be a little late due to the emission changes. BTW we don't have any money to buy parts to build your truck. Just have to wait and see or change your order to a company who can deliver.

Forum Member

Default Sky - here is your reply - think you might find it interesting!

Status Update from Bill Hinz about American LaFrance’s New Direction

"As we enter our fourth week of legal proceedings I would like to provide you with an update. Before I do that however I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for staying the course. In these difficult times you have faced many challenges both operationally and emotionally and we know without you there is no American LaFrance.

I can assure you without a doubt American LaFrance will not only survive, but prosper in the near future. We have the systemic changes in place from material procurement to financial management to ensure we are poised for not only sustainable market presence but to quickly take THE leadership position in both the fire and vocational market.

In the very new future we will be able to process and build fire apparatus consistently in the 180 day range from order receipt to delivery. Additionally, you will see innovative product designs that will truly differentiate our products from all others and will have tremendous benefits for our customers and make American LaFrance the supplier of choice. I am as anxious as you to realize these operational improvements and new products. Rest assured the team will be working on them diligently to make it happen.

As I alluded to earlier we are taking this time through the legal proceedings to implement systems and repair those that were broken. I can report to you that our Material Requirements Planning (MRP) system is now up and running. This gives our purchasing team material requirement visibility along with lead times to procure materials as needed for production in a timely manner. This accurate picture of the requirements prevents either a shortage situation which causes production delays or also an overage situation which results in excess inventory and cash that is tied up. Successfully implementing the MRP system will dramatically improve our cycle time and speed us on our way to our 180 day build commitment.

Along with our MRP system we have successfully implemented our accounts payable system to ensure we have visibility to invoices. This allows us to efficiently process our payables to keep the free flow of parts to the shop floor.

Also through this process we are retraining our workforce instilling the principles of Lean Manufacturing. This understanding of Lean process will also contribute to our improved throughput and reduced cycle time as well as reduce both material and labor waste.

These three major improvements are vital to our success and we are well on our way. With that said we know as the Leadership of American LaFrance we must perform. We expect to achieve operational excellence quickly and know that we must do so to meet our customer and employee expectations. Each one of you is a key to our success and we will continue to rely on you as partners into the future.

On a more immediate issue we will be releasing the delivery schedule by the end of the week of February 25th. I know everyone is very anxious to have this information and we have missed our self imposed two week commitment we had promised. We are working through terms and lead times very successfully with all of our vendors and once that portion is confirmed we can plug in those dates to our MRP system and generate the schedule. It is imperative that we have this information before we publish to ensure we provide a schedule that is accurate and sustainable.

Again, thanks to everyone for helping American LaFrance through these difficult times as we chart our course for long term success!"

All the best,

Bill Hinz

CEO American LaFrance LLC.
    Last edited by Sandinmyboots; 02-23-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Forum Member

Until ALF can get the secured creiditors to agree to the bankruptcy plan they will not be going anywhere.

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Forum Member

The posted coments from Bill Hinz look like only smoke and mirrors so they do not loose any more dealers.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Firefighter807;923578]Blah... blah... blah...

Read your history. Anytime a group of people got together whose main motive was to make lots of money in the fire engine business - it failed!
    QUOTE]

807, please correct me but I beleive your beloved Pierce is one of these groups of people that got together to make lots of money in the fire service. So does that mean there next?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skysthelimit View Post
    The posted coments from Bill Hinz look like only smoke and mirrors so they do not loose any more dealers.

If they get out of paying there warranty and commissions due the dealers won't stay. If you had it stuck to you how could you in good faith continue to sell the product?

Quote Originally Posted by Skysthelimit View Post
    "Also through this process we are retraining our workforce instilling the principles of Lean Manufacturing. This understanding of Lean process will also contribute to our improved throughput and reduced cycle time as well as reduce both material and labor waste."

Did they recall their workforce that we didn't hear about??

Forum Member

Angry Enough...

I could care less what they want to do at this point. Do it under another name and let ALF stay in a museum and retain what dignity it has left. These idiots from three different worlds have taken one of the greatest names in apparatus and cheapened it. I know lots of ORIGINAL ALF guys and you know who they work for? Not ALF. I'm glad the creditors have called bull*** on the proposal and they should. Why should they get screwed and let the locusts make all the money. At this point the judge should go ahead and whack it up before anyone else gets screwed. Sorry for my lack of empathy, but what these people have done to the local population and economy ( for the third time in a decade, starting with the Western Star fiasco) is enough to want it to go away. Too many people get displaced and ruined from this crap. Another big corparate Charlie Foxtrot at the expense of the american worker. What's wrong with this industry folks? Shareholders hiring people that know dooksquat about it.
    "If it's stupid but it works... It ain't stupid."
    Murphy's law of combat

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pumpertech View Post
    Another big corparate Charlie Foxtrot at the expense of the american worker.

Hey, I had nothing to do with it!!

Charlie

Question

"Also through this process we are retraining our workforce instilling the principles of Lean Manufacturing."

I thought the workforce was still on furlough.......

Default ALF Bankruptcy

The recent ALF bankruptcy filing is the result of piling too much additional overhead on an already unprofitable operation. A set of corporate executives with no idea of how to run a "tight ship" spent millions of dollars on a beautiful but very expensive headquarters-production facility, and bought a multi-million dollar computer system they couldn't make work. The solution: hire new executives with experience in making medical equipment and aerospace instruments.

This fiasco will make a fascinating case for future business students.
    Last edited by muniexec99; 03-02-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: correction

Forum Member

This is just the latest chapter in the ALF saga.

Ever since they left Elmira, the company has been like an orphaned child going from one foster home to another.

It's the plant workers who are affected the most, and there's nothing they can do but hope company execs make the right decisions to keep them on the job.

C6

Forum Member

Post Draging more names down

No matter what happens to ALF this has played a large toll on the moral of the employees who have been "Furloughed" just a fancy word for layed off and keeping your insurance but you have to pay this back when you come back If you come back. for the past 2.5 months with out a steady paycheck. Tha past management at ALF has run the good name of ALF, RD Murray, LTI, Southren Coach amoung others into the ground, and they still think what they have done will only make them stronger and shoot them into the number 1 position faster. This I will agree with only if the Chapter 11 folks allow then to continue with there plan. This will allow ALF to have little or no debt in 3-4 months time while the companys they owe money to have to lay off there employees so there bills can be paid on time. Saying yes to the plan will only place more people out of work who do not work for ALF.

Forum Member

Post ALF Shutdown

ALF got into a mess that they can't handle, they over spent building a giant plant in S.C. , there sales have been down for years , there quality has been lacking ,there dealers have not been payed , there employees got the shaft, the best thing that can happen is for them to find a ( NEW BUYER ) that knows how to run a fire apparatus company !
    Last edited by WoodbridgeFFII; 02-24-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Is LaFrance now out of the ambulance business? They are not listed as a product anymore on the website. New ambulance deliveries are also no longer available.

Forum Member

Default Ambulance - Building

Yes ALF is going out of the ambulance business. They have that as part of the move forward plan, if they ever get to do their move forward plan.

WoodbridgeFF, ALF dis not PAY to build that new plant, it is leased. And the company that is on the arm for the 60 million will be one of the big loosers.

Here is a link to all the info on what is happening with the ALF situation. It is updated almost daily as things play out in the court.

http://www.kccllc.net/ALF

Yes Medic Master is no more. I have lost several good customers as well as the great folks at the Sanford plant. I have been told my rescue truck customers unit will now(I hope) be built at Hamburg. This is if the do not cancel due to it being sooo late. I was at the plant 1 week to the day before the closing anouncement. Their reply to the fact I lost $1,500.00 on expenses - Nothing not even sorry.

Unhappy

Yes Medic Master is gone. I feel for the folks in Sanford who lost their jobs. I had some really good friends at the plant. I was a the the plant doing a prebuild 1 week to the day before the closing anouncement. Want to know what ALF said about the $1,500.00 in expenses I am out - not to mention a lost customer - nothing, not even a sorry, kma, nothing.

Thread Information