Thread: CPAT in 2 weeks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CPAT in 2 weeks

I have my CPAT in 2 weeks. Im 5'7" tall and 153 pounds. My main worries are the stairs and the dummy drag. The stairs because they seem to be everybodys downfall and the dummy drag because I weigh less then the dummy and the dummy is dead weight. I do not have acces to a stair mill so I have been wearing a 50 lb. vest and holding a 25 pound weight on an elliptical with the crossramp set as high as possible. For the dummy drag I have been putting about 165 lbs. of free weights in a sled and dragging it on a field but Im worried because I cant drag it very fast and it tires my legs out immediaetly.

If anybody has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by arowett; 01-29-2008 at 02:57 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2 weeeks?

The Bad News:
    Unfortunately, 2 weeks is not enough to change much. You needed to start months ago to maximize your performance.
    The Good news:
    Sounds like what you have been doing is a very good start. The information given does not tell me enough about your fitness level to know if you are going to pass or not. Are you doing this eliptical thing for 10 minutes? If you are, you could be fine... provided you have enough upper body strength. If you are only doing it for 3 minutes, you could be in real trouble. The dummy drag training you are doing sounds good, if you are doing it enough... long enough, often enough, but when you have to put it all together, you might have trouble.
    Are you training with weights besides that stuff? How much, how often? If you give me alot more info, I can tell you where you are not doing enough. The proof will come in the perverbial pudding. Take the test, come back and talk about how it went. If it did not go well, we need to look at why.

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I do the elliptical for 2 sessions of about 6-7 minutes but if 10 minutes would make a difference than that is what I will do. I start my workout on the ellipitical. I then go to the deciline leg press. On the leg press I start with two 45 pound plates on each side and do a set of 30 reps. I then add a 25 pound weight to each side and do a set of 28 reps. I then take off the 25 pound weight and add another 45 pound plate and do a set of 25 reps. I continue this process until I have six 45 pound plates on each side of the machine and I finish with a set of 8 reps. I then go to the leg extension machine. I do single leg extensions in the following order; set 1 = 35 pounds, 20 reps; set 2 = 50 pounds, 15 reps; and set 3 = 65 pounds, 10 reps.

The remainder of my workout depends on the day because one day I do chest and tris and the next day I do back and bi's and so forth.

On a chest and tris day, after the elliptical and my leg workout I do flat bench press on a smith-machine. I start with one 45 pound plate on each side and do a set of 20 reps to warm-up. I then do a set of 10 reps with 2, 45 pound plates on each side of the bar. I then add a 5 pound weight to each side of the bar and do a set of 8 reps. I then add another 5 pound weight to each side of the bar and do a set of 6 reps. I then take the weights off until I am left with just the original 45 pound plate on each side and do another set of 20 reps. After completing the bench press I move on to incline pec fly. Here I use a 35 pound dumbbell in each hand and do 3 sets of 15 reps. I then move on to decline bench press on a smith machine. I start with a single 45 pound plate on each side of the bar and do a set of 20 reps. I then add 10 pounds to each side of the bar and do a set of 15 reps. I then take the 10 pounds off of each side and add a 25 pound weight to each side and do a set of 12 reps. I then add a 10 pound weight to each side and do a set of 10 reps. I then remove the 25 pound weight and the ten pound weight and add another 45 pound plate to each side of the bar so that I now have two 45 pound plates on each side of the bar and a do a set of 8 reps. I then finish my chest workout on the pec dec fly mahcine where I do 3 sets of 15 reps at 110 pounds. I now move on to working my triceps. I start with dips where I do 3 sets of 15 reps with my body weight. I then do single arm tricep extensions with a handle. I do three sets of 20 at 35 pounds. I then finish my triceps by doing single arm tricep extensions with a rope for 3 sets of 15 reps at 35 pounds. I then finish my workout with 6 more minutes on the elliptical.

On a day where I workout my back and my biceps I start on the eliptical and then do my leg workout. After completing my leg workout I start my back workout on the decline row machine. I do 3 sets of 15 at 140 pounds. I then go to the back extension machine where a do 3 sets of 15 reps at 150 pounds. I then move on to lat pulldown I do 3 sets of 15 at 110 pounds when I am pulling the bar down in front of my face followed by 3 sets of 15 reps at 90 pounds when I am pulling the bar down behind my head. I then do one armed rope lat pulldowns at 40 pounds for 3 sets of 15 reps. I finish my back workout with pull-ups at 3 sets of 10 pull-ups. I then move on to my bicep workout I start with one arm reverse grip bicep curls at 25-30 pounds for 3 sets of 15 and I then I do one arm regular bicep curls at 35-40 pounds for 3 sets of 15 reps. I then finish my workout on the elliptical.

This has been my workout for the past week and a half . Before that my workout was the same except I was only doing the elliptical once a day for about 5 minutes. And my leg workout only consisted of doing decline leg press with three 45 pound plates on each side for three sets of 15 reps. And I wasnt doing single leg extensions I was doing both legs at a time and I was doing three sets of 10 at 125 pounds.

I workout in the morning so after I workout I usually, eat and then after a few hours I train by dragging around a sled filled with weights and then I ussually take some of the weights out and drag the sled in the fashion that would be needed in the hose drag event. When simulating the dummy drag I drag the sled 50 feet then turn around and come back. The I wait about five minutes and do it again. I do this 4 times, wearing the 50 pound vets while I do them. When simulating the hose drag I drag the sled about 75 feet. The rope I use is only 25 pounds so I then get down on a knee and pull the 25 feet of rope to me then I extend the rope and I pull it to me again. I do this 3-4 times with about 5 minutes in between each set. These methods of traiining I do not do every day, I only do them on days when the weather permits and I do not have class at the community college that I attend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by arowett; 01-29-2008 at 06:53 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anybody have any tips for taking the CPAT that seem to make some of the events easier. For example, is there a special way to drag the to make it easier or faster or anything like that?

Forum Member

Cut its legs off first?

MembersZone Subscriber

I took my CPAT on Wed. I finished it in 9 minutes and 1 second I didnt really feel tired at all until I was about half way through the dummy drag and then there was only the ceiling breach and pull left.

Forum Member

In my opinion the best way to complete the dummy drag is to get the dummy itself as high as you can on your body. If you keep the dummy up high, there will be less dragging along the ground.

Forum Member

Try to get a good wrap on the dummy. Get your arms around the dummy as tightly as ya can, grab your other wrist, lock it in, and don't let go.
    Getting it as high a sya can is good advice.
    Some tests actually put handles on the dummy (my, how convenient) , so that's alot easier.

Good Luck

Thread Information