Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default running a mile strategy?

I have to run the mile in under 12 mins, on a 400m track, four laps. An all out run is not realistic for me, I guess the 3rd lap will be the worst. Should I run part and fast walk part so I am not real tired at the end or should I jog a constant pace. I have never had to do this before, Not even sure how hard of a run 12 min mile is. So I dont know what to do. I am going to go to a high school track and try it, as soon as the weather is ok. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Forum Member

A 12 minutes mile is not that difficult at all. Just think of it this way, if you can do each lap in 3 minutes you'll get in at 12 minutes exactly.

The best way to figure out where you stand is to try it. You need to get out on the track and learn where you are at right now and how much work you have to do to prepare.

Jogging should be the best way to do it, you'll also look "better" than jogging at a constant pace.

Definately keeping a constant pace is the best way to go. I use to play baseball, and for running drills we would sprint, then jog, then walk, then sprint, then jog, then walk, and so on for a mile. That was much harder than just keeping a constant pace. You will definately have to get out on the track and see where you are in the mile. 12 minutes is a very easy run, so don't worry about it to much.

Forum Member

My advice would be to get a decent digital watch and begin timing yourself. Work hard and eventually your times will fall. Hydrate well before hand. A 12 minute mile can be attained even easier because its on a track rather than a cross country type path with uneven footing.

Forum Member

Honestly I think a fast walk could be done in under 12 min. You should have no problem doing a light jog and cruising in with time to spare. But like others suggested, get out there at least once or twice to know where you stand. If for some crazy reason you're cutting it close, don't forget your watch on the actual day. Also you will probably run faster that day without even trying. Good luck..

Forum Member

Default walk

I guarantee that it can be walked that fast, I know that for wildland firefighting you must walk 3 miles in 45 mins. with 45 lbs. on your back, and it is no problems coming in under the 45 minute mark which is a 15 min. mile and that's with 45 lbs. on your back, however it is a brisk pace, I'd take the advise of others before and maybe go out and actually try it, and maybe even get into a routine so that it becomes easy for you and there is no worries, fitness is part of the job

Forum Member

You should be able to do a slow jog and finish in under 12, I have to test at a mile and a half for the military and to score well I try to keep it under 13:40. I've had mixed luck with steady jogging, usually end up walking some anyway. I've had pretty good luck lately(on treadmill, to cold up here) with doing a fast pace walk for a quarter lap, then hard run(around 10mph) for 3/4. I'm not a big running fan but the first thing you need to do is just go out and jog it so you can see where you're at for time and endurance. I agree with others here, you can almost speed walk it in 12, they used to let us do a 3 mile walk and I could do that in 34min.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default treadmill?

How similar do you think the Treadmill is to a real 400 m track? Its also too cold up here. I don't to get sick before I have to do it suckin in all that super cold air. Trying to find an indoor track.

Forum Member

Not trying to sound like a dick here, but a mile in twelve minutes is a joke; I'd consider it an insult. Especially so for someone who is required to be physical at work. If you can get to a track, even outdoors one time to test yourself, you will have a much better feel of it. You're only going to be outside for like fifteen minutes anyway.

I can't find it right now, but www.menshealth.com has a chart that compares treadmill incline level to exertion level for outdoor running.
    The gist is that a 1% to 2% incline will give you the most similar exertion as running outdoors.
    My advice for your upcoming run comes from Nike:

Just do it.
    (I wear Brooks though.)

You'll be surprised at how quickly you finish the 1 mile under the 12 minutes allotted.

If you're stuck with just a treadmill due to the weather, get on and try a 6.0 mph. That is a 10:00 mile. It should be a relatively easy pace.

Good luck,
    bam

Forum Member

I think you'd be supprised how much help an iPOD and some Metallica would be!
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, Irish 6019, you don't mince words, do you? I agree with you... some people are cut out for this and some people are not. It's better to be honest than mislead someone who absolutely cannot meet physical criteria...

Here's a similar situation. I am a high school lacrosse coach. We had try-outs starting monday, and only 3 kids finished a mile in under 8 minutes. One took 11:39! It kills me that they are 14-17 years old, and trying out for a varsity team, and and can't run an 8 minute mile! HELLO! I can do it in under 6 minutes, and I am 41!!!

So, I don't want to sound like a jerk either... but some people are not cut out to be Firefighters, and they will find that out.

But, the poster is where he/she is.... where they go from there is a very long road to being ready for work in your field.

My solution? I make try outs sooooo hard that the out of shape and the lazy ones just quit. That's what fire academy and physical agility and Biddle are for. He'll either get it together or he won't. Who knows, maybe he had an ACL tear and repair, and is just out of rehab...??

Just my 2 cents...

In the mean time, I would try to run the whole time through the mile without stopping, keeping and even 3 minute lap pace. Knowing that pace takes a few times. But, as someone above mentioned. Speed walking that distance could bring one in in just around 12 minutes!!!

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 02-06-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Default Along the same lines...

I'm training for an academy that will take place in August 2008. There are minimum fitness requirements needed to graduate; I'd like to pass them on the first day of the academy. The situps, pushups, and bench press requirements don't worry me, It's the 1.5 mile in under 12 minutes that makes me sweat. Right now, I can run it in 13:30 flat.

My question is this: What's better for me? Interval running (for speed) or running longer distance at a constant pace (to meet the demand of 3-5 mile runs during the academy)? Or maybe switch it up and do both? M W F, do intervals,and then T TH SAT run constant pace, with Sunday off?

Ted

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TED1435 View Post
    I'm training for an academy that will take place in August 2008. There are minimum fitness requirements needed to graduate; I'd like to pass them on the first day of the academy. The situps, pushups, and bench press requirements don't worry me, It's the 1.5 mile in under 12 minutes that makes me sweat. Right now, I can run it in 13:30 flat.

My question is this: What's better for me? Interval running (for speed) or running longer distance at a constant pace (to meet the demand of 3-5 mile runs during the academy)? Or maybe switch it up and do both? M W F, do intervals,and then T TH SAT run constant pace, with Sunday off?

Ted
    Definitely mix it up, but 6 times/week seems like too much. Do you fatigue from a cardiovascular standpoint, or is lack of leg endurance slowing you down? In my personal experience, I've found that burpee circuits can help both simultaneously. Uphill walking lunges, or uphill backwards running will help to condition your legs. I've also found that a sprint at the end of the run, for about 30 secs. to one minute, will typically result in a faster mile the next time, assuming complete recovery, of course. The sprint may not be very fast, due to fatigue, but it really does need to be a 100% effort.

I'm running distance now: 2 miles. It's all uphill one way. My legs scream for me to stop, but I keep pushing, although it slows my time down because of the fatigue.

There's a trail I used to run last semester that was mostly flat, and I was running 3 miles pretty steadily. My opinion, though, is that I wont be running on flat ground, so running the harder two miles in my hilly neighborhood is better than three miles straight out.

Of course, I'm no fitness guru and I could be completely wrong

Thread Information