Forum Member

Default I Kno I Kno Not A Ladie

i have a ? for u girls.. i am looking to become a full time firefighter and i was wondering what is the hardest part for u(the girlfriend or wife)??

The hardest thing for me was pagers going off at the worst possible moments.But you get used to it even if your planning say a holiday meal the pager goes off and hes gone.Calls don't discriminate.

Default a big decision

I'd have to agree with Wildhorse. especially at like, 3am in the morning. It's also hard to come home from work and not knowing where your husband/boyfriend is, even after calling the station and no one telling you he could be on a woods fire call they just received. Not a good thing for a pregnant wife. But it does get easier as the time goes by. Just make sure you find someone that understands what they are getting into, so they don't put you in the position of them or your career. Unfortunately a lot of relationships have ended in this field because of that.

Forum Member

Default what is the hardest?

My husband is a paid firefighter, so I know when he will be at work. And I carry his duty calendar in my purse.

I was a volunteer firefighter, and the pager goes off in the midst of most plans. Whether it's the holiday dinner, or a movie, you have to go.

So, you need to have an understanding partner. They have to be secure and understand your passion!

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you need to be fairly independant, secure and capable of holding down the fort while your spouse is gone.

Expect missed special times, kids complaining that Dad is missing their special events and milestone.
    Expect that there will be times that s/he is moody and working out horrendous calls in her/his head and be able to cope with it by being supportive and not taking it personally.
    Expect trades of working days to accomodate his co-workers.
    Expect inside jokes when they all get together.

Expect that some of the tightest relationships will happen in the firehouse.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buxton71E1 View Post
    i have a ? for u girls.. i am looking to become a full time firefighter and i was wondering what is the hardest part for u(the girlfriend or wife)??

IF you are planning to be a full time firefighter, learn to spell and stop using the kidís short cuts letters for asking questions or communicating with adults!

BTW I love girls, or Ladies to be more to the point!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    IF you are planning to be a full time firefighter, learn to spell and stop using the kidís short cuts letters for asking questions or communicating with adults!

BTW I love girls, or Ladies to be more to the point!!!
    Sadly I know that you are probably under the age of 20 due to your spelling and gramar. I agree that you need to focus on your education right now. Please, it is one of the most important things you could ever do!
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMidget View Post
    Sadly I know that you are probably under the age of 20 due to your spelling and gramar. I agree that you need to focus on your education right now. Please, it is one of the most important things you could ever do!

Heck, caught again! I am sorry that my fingers hit the wrong keys on the keyboard. You could always teach me and make me a man!!

Forum Member

See, that is what happens when you have 3 keyboards infront of you, 4 mice, 5 screens, and 911 lines ringing. Sorry.
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMidget View Post
    See, that is what happens when you have 3 keyboards infront of you, 4 mice, 5 screens, and 911 lines ringing. Sorry.
    I know what you mean as I have been there and done that too. Hey have a good day!!

Thread Information