Forum Member

Default Still Waiting...

Submitted for 3 AFG's this year -- two got denied during the first round (SCBA Cascade system & apparatus)... still waiting on the Regional Radio Upgrade grant that I wrote.

This is my first time writing a regional grant -- the grant was for
    BUDGET
    The budget for this project includes 7 mobiles at $4362.00 each, 90 Portables at $2733.00 each, 4 base radios at $8425 each, 6 Four Unit Gang Chargers at $580.00 each, and 20 Kussmaul Auto-Eject Systems at $425.00 each. Total project cost is $322,184.

What do we think the chances are on this one? I have not seen any 1199A changes since our last award date of 2003.

Have many of you had much luck with the regional side?

Forum Member

Funded for our apparatus, still waiting on our Ops grant!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic12 View Post
    Submitted for 3 AFG's this year -- two got denied during the first round (SCBA Cascade system & apparatus)... still waiting on the Regional Radio Upgrade grant that I wrote.

This is my first time writing a regional grant -- the grant was for
    BUDGET
    The budget for this project includes 7 mobiles at $4362.00 each, 90 Portables at $2733.00 each, 4 base radios at $8425 each, 6 Four Unit Gang Chargers at $580.00 each, and 20 Kussmaul Auto-Eject Systems at $425.00 each. Total project cost is $322,184.

What do we think the chances are on this one? I have not seen any 1199A changes since our last award date of 2003.

Have many of you had much luck with the regional side?
    Firemedic: we were awarded this year for radios. mobiles at 4200.00 seems ok portables @ 2733.00 is an unbelievably high price unless your buying satellite transponders, Base radios @8425.00 is about double what you need to be paying. 20 kussmaul systems @ 425.00??? How do they tie into your radio program? Just trying to give you an objective review of your app. good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is a low end portable price for our system, apco 25 compliant digital statewade trunking system portable running about $3500.00 a piece.

Getting bonged when you really need it, "Price-less"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Firemedic: we were awarded this year for radios. mobiles at 4200.00 seems ok portables @ 2733.00 is an unbelievably high price unless your buying satellite transponders, Base radios @8425.00 is about double what you need to be paying. 20 kussmaul systems @ 425.00??? How do they tie into your radio program? Just trying to give you an objective review of your app. good luck.
    I could see the Kussmaul auto ejects, if the bank chargers are kept in
    the trucks - almost. I would be surprised to see 20 engines without
    kussmauls, either auto eject or standard old loop the cord through the
    handle type. Of course, with only 6 gang chargers - perhaps it is to run
    individual chargers also.

The radio prices, if they are on a digital trunking system, such as (I believe
    he is in Indiana) the SAFE-T have some redeeming value, the portables
    are possibly about right, but the mobiles and base radios will surely not make
    it through tech review.... But then again, you never know.

Forum Member

its jan 31......no new mail, no 1199 update, no dj. has anyone heard anything? anyone?.........anyone?

Forum Member

Default radios

I don't believe your radio prices are out of line. Your project appears worthy, not sure on the base radios. The pricing for the portables is definitely not out of line, any one who says different must not be buying 800 mhz radios yet. We use two different models with the cheapest around 2500 and the more expensive around 4000.
    The Kussmaul auto ejects are very thoughtful, if you are going to maintain radios in bank chargers on apparatus you are going to need constant power. Sounds like someone thought outside the box. Good luck

Forum Member

Much like island03, I quickly thought "Why would you jeopardize a comm grant with adding those Auto Ejects?" But like jasnic0510 said, SMART thinking!

As long as it's justified, I think it's a pretty darn smart addition. We have portable chargers in all our apparatus, which now tie in to our TIC charger. The Kussmaul auto charge systems are a necessity!

Border Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic20 View Post
    its jan 31......no new mail, no 1199 update, no dj. has anyone heard anything? anyone?.........anyone?
    Still waiting here too....nothing yet......I thought today was the day we'd all know one way or the other....
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Because all 3 programs are in progress and the staff is still the same much work and few hands. AFG app period probably won't be until April at this point, meaning we'll still know before that opens but could be the end of Feb before that happens.

Forum Member

This is correct, the grant was for EF Johnson Mobiles / Portables and the base is a Motorola's (the department already utilizes moto. specific base technology)

The grant contains over 6 departments throughout our county. This grant will make us compliant with the rest of the nation / state of Indiana in accordance with the 800 radio network.

The goal here with the kussmaul auto eject systems was this:

In the AFG guidelines it states that the max. amount of portable radios you can request is for the number of seats in the apparatus.

I was always taught by Chief Jeff Stigall during my recruit class that you absolutely do not get off the truck without:

1) A Flashlight
    2) A Tool
    3) A Radio

My new department here in southern Indiana does not have radios on the truck for their personnel. There are limited station radios, and some people have their own personal VHF Radios. The county is trying to go to all 800 Mhz -- as is the rest of the state.

So, I thought -- we need to have chargers in the trucks for each radio -- the trucks need to be plugged in -- they need kussmaul auto eject chargers. Most departments in this area do not have newer trucks -- and most of them need auto ejects put in, of which we will do ourselves with no problem.

It was not so much about thinking outside of the box -- as it was just thinking, "What can we do to make this job safer?".

Just going back to the basics.

Forum Member

P.S. The Radio prices that I have quoted are from the Indiana Quantity Pricing Agreement that the state has aligned with EF Johnson and Motorola.

http://www.in.gov/idoa/proc/QPA/10019.pdf

It is part of the Hoosier-SAFE-T program.

The base stations are not your typical base I do not think.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

In some areas the basics are outside the box...

Plus when the radios are already on the truck, hard to leave without them. Old dept had radios in the trucks, no chargers. Battery charger in the station. Not a good combo if people don't remember to turn the radios off.

MembersZone Subscriber

P.S. The Radio prices that I have quoted are from the Indiana Quantity Pricing Agreement that the state has aligned with EF Johnson and Motorola.

http://www.in.gov/idoa/proc/QPA/10019.pdf

It is part of the Hoosier-SAFE-T program.

The base stations are not your typical base I do not think.
    I figured that was the deal. I have no clue about the bases - they must be something special.

MembersZone Subscriber

The grant contains over 6 departments throughout our county. This grant will make us compliant with the rest of the nation / state of Indiana in accordance with the 800 radio network.

The only thing else I could possibly point out - while these will make you
    fully compliant with the Safe-T network, don't be led down a path about being compliant with the rest of the nation.

Many areas are going on different frequency bands, different technologies, etc. Interoperabilty in radio hardware "aint".

Thread Information