Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chain grade/rating

We are working on the completion of the annual inventory of our rig. Not sure why is was not done before but looking for help with determining the grade of chains. I have looked at an equipment catalog and it lists grades 40, 70, 80 and 100. It looks like the chain diameter plays a role, but how can we determing the grade? We checked at the local hardware and they could not assist us. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and stay safe.

Takes a little looking.Grade 30 (Proof coil) is "Dog chain",only suitable for chaining your Rott.43 is Hi-test,a little better but still not suitable for Rescue.70 is Transport,a good alloyed chain for general use.HOWEVER,if you are using the chain for "overhead lifting" (basically anything lifted over 1")it needs to be grade 8(80)or grade 100.All chain produced after a certain date(I think the late 80's)has to be stamped with the grade every so many links.It may be found as a number (3)or a letter and number (G8).Sometimes you get lucky and have a rated chain assembly with a tag.On the stamped chain,you will have to look close to find the number,particularly if the chain is rusted or worn.In any event,my advice would be to replace any chain that you cannot identify(positively)as G7 or higher.HTH T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 01-30-2008 at 03:36 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply R101. We want to match the chains to the various tools. We are now looking into new chains to match the working load for our tools. This has opened our eyes up, and likely prevented an injury. We still carry the first Hurst chains we receiced when I was on the squad in 1977. I have not seen anything on this through state certifications, workshops, or competitions. Good eye-opener.
    Stay safe, and if you are in the midwest like me stay warm.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Invest wisely...

I strongly suggest you invest in nothing less that Grade 8 (80) chain when purchasing new chain. Should you feel the need, invest in Grade 10 (100). All hooks, rings, or any attachment thereto must match the grade of the chain. Also, I suggest you invest in 'cradle grab' hooks. When using a 'standard' grab hook, the WLL of the chain is reduced by 25% simply because it is pulling 'cross-link'.

Consider investing in certified chain slings that carry a ID tag. Chain must be inspected and records kept according to Federal standards that are applicable to your agency.

You may feel free to email me as I can email you additional info.

The price of 100 grade chain has dropped quite a bit in the last few years.I'd actually lean that way over grade 8 if I were replacing.Billy's right,for Rescue ops ALL chain should be G8 or greater.Make sure to use rated fastners/connectors/hooks if you're not buying rated assemblies.I'm heading to the Midwest (Neb)in a little over a month,gotta be warmer than here. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

R101 and Billy thanks so much for your input. This has been a learning experience. Where can I find these specs or standards. The only information I have is from a catalog from awdirect.com. We have two pumper squads and to order replacement of all chains I will have to documet to place this order. R101 I am at the top in the middle of Illinois. Our frigid weather just went East lol. Thanks again and stay safe.

AWDirect is a good company to do business with,you can get rated assemblies AND build it yourself supplies along with good service,prices and product support. I work with chain every day and a majority of my hard goods come from AW. There are a number of other good suppliers too,TruckNTow comes to mind.Probably a few good vendors in your area too. I prefer products made in the USA,but that's a "me" thing. T.C.

Dave,log onto Google and look up "Tow chain".On the right of the page you will find "Heavy duty tow chain" on the 1st chain supply site.This is a good starting point as it lists the various types of chain and their specs along with the various attachments.HTH T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you will email me directly I'll send you some more info regarding chain grades, etc.

billyleach@gmail.com

here is a link to crosby

http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/

they are ONE of the preferred suppliers of rigging equipment in the world

this site gives you alot of info.

If you need further info, There is a gentlemen I know named curt sharp who is a crosby trainer who can supply you with additional material.

Looking thru a new catalog yesterday and I found G120 chain and fixments listed.That would be some NICE stuff. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

We just received IFSTA Principles of Vehicle Extrication 2nd edition. I was relieved to see on page 35 some data on chains. There is information provided such as working load limit for alloy steel chain. The working load limits in the chart are close to grade 80 chain. There is a table for maximum allowable wear. The charts list the various chain sizes, but nothing is mentioned as to what grade the chain is. Is "alloy steel chain" considered to be rescue chain of grade 80 or higher? There is some very good information provided in the proper and safe use of chains.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I would suggest you invest in alloy chain, Grade 80 or better for rescue work. Obviously this would include any overhead lifting operations.

Please email a request to me at billyleach@gmail.com and I'll send you additional information.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Thread Information