Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Is a radio Strap a safety problem for Firefighters?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO, I have NEVER heard of it being A PROBLEM

96 91.43%
  • YES, they are more DANGEROUS than good

9 8.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is A Radio Strap An Entanglement Issue?

I work out here on the west coast, and have been wearing the FDNY style radio strap for about 1 year now. I LOVE it. It works well on fires AND medical calls.

A few guys on my department are trying to get the straps BANNED, stating that they are an entanglement danger.....

Any suggestions to argue my case? Have you ever heard of these being a problem for anyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    For those of us on the West Coast.....
    www.westcoast911.com

MembersZone Subscriber

If worn on the inside of the gear it won't get entangled in anything. period

Do they honestly believe 11,000 firemen would wear these if they weren't safe and effective. We go to our share of fires and these aren't a safety issue in the least.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I would like one more option on the poll......."A radio strap COULD be an entanglement hazard."

I have been wearing one for years. I wear mine all shift so I always have it with me. When I put mine gear on, I just leave it underneath my coat which eliminates the chances of it becoming an entanglement hazard. If you choose to wear it over your coat, I would suggest wearing it under your scba. this will help to keep it close to your body and less prone as an entanglement hazard.

I sincerely hope your brothers really aren't trying to get them banned. The all or none mentality gains nothing. What works for some may not work for others (How often is that said on this board??? )

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

I wear the strap on the outside for MVA's, AFA's etc..
    If I am going to be wearing a pack, I put the radio in the radio pocket on my gear.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber

Under the coat. Even at jobs where you don't wear SCBA just watch the guys when the bend over and the radio spins around to the front. We have the extra strap and loop to clip them to a belt loop to prevent the radio from coming around front but its not an issue when worn under the turnout coat.

Worn over the coat with SCBA I believe can increase entanglement issues, plus how many freaking strap will you have on while your seated in an SCBA seat in the truck? You'll be strapped up like some NASCRAP idiot. Maybe some rocket scientist here will invent a way to use the radio strap as a seatbelt, like they wanted with SCBA straps.

I normally am not into name-calling. However, what a bunch of putzes.

I put mine on prior to donning my SCBA, that way the waist strap secures it. I think the SCBA poses more of an entaglement hazard (been there done that). My radio-strap has never been an issue. Plus, it puts the lapel mike into a position near your head which is invaluable, if you were to become entraped in building material.
    Last edited by FDAIC485; 01-31-2008 at 08:30 AM.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I'm with the others. I wear mine either under the coat or under the SCBA depending on the call type, and have never had any problems.

COULD it become an entanglment hazard? Sure, but if you look hard enough, everything on our gear could become a hazard. I hope these guys aren't successful in getting them banned!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

under the coat. not a problem

I've seen them for sale in Adult Costume shops next to the leather masks with zippers over the mouth.

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    I've seen them for sale in Adult Costume shops next to the leather masks with zippers over the mouth.
    Do they give you a frequent shopper discount?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post

Interesting product placement...all the smut shops along 8th Ave have them next to the nipple-clamps and gag-balls!

Seriously I don't know why anyone would wear it on the outside...wear it under the coat. I can't see a reason why not to.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Radio Straps

Radio straps, in my opinion, like anything else, when used properly are a great tool. The FDNY radio straps, (see one at the link) http://www.emergencyresponderproduct...tylestrap.html
    are great to use for the following:
    It keeps your radio, which is basically a lifeline, where you know it will be. Ever have your radio fall out of your pocket and not realize it right away?
    Also, if you are a fire department that does other details such as building inspection or public relations, it keeps your radio where it belongs and it also gives a professional look. If you are a chauffeur/engineer, it is a great item to have as well. A suggestion would also be to have a anti-sway strap(see link) http://www.emergencyresponderproducts.com/nyrastcl.html
    These handy little items keep you from getting hit in the head with your radio when you lean forward or reach forward.

I also recommend have the radio strap under your turnout gear. Placement of the remote mic is a matter of preference. I either attach it to my collar or I would bring the mic over the the top buckle of my turnout coat and attach it to the flap, again this is a matter of preference. I have also seen firefighters who actually would take the strap through the top snap and leave the mic attached to the strap. Again, your preference.

Radio straps are unquestionably an entanglement hazard.

However, how you wear them can control the degree of risk they create. A radio/strap worn under your coat minimizes the risk but makes it difficult to adjust the radio. A radio/strap under the SCBA harness reduces the risk almost as much and leaves the radio accessible. A radio/strap on top of everything else is, IMHO, just an entanglement waiting to happen.

Choose your own level of acceptable risk. Personally, I prefer to just put my radio in the radio pocket on my bunker coat.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Choose your own level of acceptable risk. Personally, I prefer to just put my radio in the radio pocket on my bunker coat.
    How do you hear it at a job or quickly communicate on it with it tucked away in a pocket?

FTM-PTB

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Seriously I don't know why anyone would wear it on the outside...wear it under the coat. I can't see a reason why not to.
    The only reason that I'll wear it on the outside (but under the SCBA) on routine emergencies is based on how we handle calls on the radio. The only thing that happens on dispatch is the call being dispatched. All of the radio traffic after marking enroute is handled on one of 10 tac channels, and sometimes an incident escalates and has to be moved from one tac to the next. I know, I know...trust me, this system was laid out long before I got hired.

Because of that, we're constantly looking at the screen to ensure we're on the right tac. I find it easier to flip the pouch up and glance at it when it's outside the coat.

The radio's we've been purchasing for the past year actually say over the speaker which tac your on when you turn the knob, so it's eliminated the need to constantly look at the screen, so some of those issues are being resolved.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

I wear mine under the coat with the mic hanging out the front clipped to my mic holder on the lapel of my coat. I have never had a problem reaching the radio to change frequencies (channels) On the situation of some members trying to get them banned why not go halfway and have a SOP/SOG on how and where they are supposed to be worn?
    Fir Na Tine

"You can't help anyone, without getting there first!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post

FTM-PTB

There you go again, trying to be the friggin' expert. I'll bet you didn't even wear your coat but 15 or 16 times last shift, did you?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Quote Originally Posted by RRFD77 View Post
    I wear mine under the coat with the mic hanging out the front clipped to my mic holder on the lapel of my coat. I have never had a problem reaching the radio to change frequencies (channels) On the situation of some members trying to get them banned why not go halfway and have a SOP/SOG on how and where they are supposed to be worn?
    This is how everyone wears it around here. And the way that it was taught to us.
    Unless of course it is a medical, MVA, etc, then its just thrown over the coat.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Do the people that are saying a radio strap is an entaglment issue wear a Vulcan or similiar type box light? If they do why do they oppose the radio strap but not the light? I wear both on the outside of my coat under my SCBA.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

I wear mine over my coat and under my SCBA. Always have...Always will.

If I become entangled and die because of my radio strap, you guys are all welcome to come back and say; "See? I told you so!"
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Thread Information