Forum Member

Default Fire Science Courses. Good idea or no?

Just making sure I'm not alone out there. Does anybody know the significance of taking a fire science course in college and how it will effect your chances of getting on your desired department? I've heard all positive things about the courses from the colleges I would like to attend but I figured that was only becaue they wanted me to pay the tuition hahahaha. So if anybody taking them, has taken them, will be taking them, or knows anything about it I would definatley appreciate ANYTHING I can get.

Thanks,

Trucky22

Forum Member

Never taken them, but I have heard a lot of good things about them. Even if the dept. you want to get on doesn't think that the courses are all that great, it's just more knowledge about fire for you.

Forum Member

I agree with 320. The more education you recieve, the more doors seem to open up. Knowledge is power.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Z. 4. Yes. Another yes. A third yes. And a Batman symbol.
    (from Family Guy- http://crackle.com/c/Funny/family_gu...fc%3D1%26fx%3D)

I am still in high school and I have 3 classes toward my degree done already including the Basic Ohio State 36 Hour Vollie Fire Course (which I test for on the 20th at 0800). I am able to do this through a program by the State of Ohio and my school district and I am getting everything paid for (all fees, tuition, books, ect.)
    It will help you A TON getting on a department. Every Chief I've talk to has said that when they are looking at applications and resumes, they'd rather see a college degree then just all these certifications should the person have already went through a fire school program. Even if it wasn't a Fire Science degree, I've heard that a Business degree can help (if not both FS and Business). Business degree will help if you want a competitive, higher-up administrative office in the future.
    It is definitely, without a doubt, a good idea.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I am currently enrolled in my last semester of my Fire Science and Fire Investigation Programs, and by the end will have an associates degree in both. I have learned so much through the Programs and it has been a great experience. Unlike many other Fire Science Programs, the program i am enrolled in actually gets you certifications (NHCTC-Laconia). This is because unlike many states NH and surrounding areas don't seem to have a Fire Academy for new recruits, instead you must have at least basic certifications to become a Career firefighter.

Out of my Fire Science degree I will be getting Firefighter 1 and EMT- Basic. I also had the opportunity to get Firefighter 2 and several Fire Inspector Certs.

I guess its all different wherever you go, but either way, its a great deal of knowledge that will always be helpful to you, even if it doesn't help you to get hire

Forum Member

Fire Sciences is what I'm going for in college. I got a full ride to NJCU for Fire Sciences. Hope it's the right choice.

Forum Member

Some guys take them.

Some don't.

Plenty of people do just fine and become chiefs, etc, without any fire science classes at X college.

I can guarantee that I will not be taking any fire science courses in college (mainly because where I'm most likely going they do not have and will never have fire science courses) and I don't see myself taking any once out of college.

Firefighter I/II yes, Fire Officer I/II yes, Instructor yes, Safety Officer yes, Inspector yes, etc. But don't necessarily see myself taking any fire science classes.

My $.02
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I have am working towards a associates degree in fire science. In alot of places it seems that degrees are mandatory in order to move up in rank(i know not every where but in someplaces) I enjoy taking the fire science classes. You'll learn alot of valuable information. If you can do it i would say go for it.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Some guys take them.

Some don't.

Plenty of people do just fine and become chiefs, etc, without any fire science classes at X college.

I can guarantee that I will not be taking any fire science courses in college (mainly because where I'm most likely going they do not have and will never have fire science courses) and I don't see myself taking any once out of college.

Firefighter I/II yes, Fire Officer I/II yes, Instructor yes, Safety Officer yes, Inspector yes, etc. But don't necessarily see myself taking any fire science classes.

My $.02

Thats because you already wrote the books on the rest of em...

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE

Forum Member

I'm in my second year of Fire Science at EKU and I can say classes deffinately help. They may not guarentee you a job but it deffinately will give you an edge in the hiring process, the promotion process and testing for both. Especially if you're going for a department close to that area where the departments have had exposure to the school and its products. As stated earlier there are plenty of people who get hired without it, but another thing to consider- God forbid you be injured to the point you can no longer function as a FF, now you have a college degree that can help you out so you can keep a pay check. Just my .02

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    Thats because you already wrote the books on the rest of em...

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE
    Oh... Watch out. Bow down to the almight Jake.

Suck up.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

That sure does sound close minded. How do you know you will NEVER take these courses?

You dont seem like you are very informed on the Fire Science program. All of the certifications you listed are obtained THROUGH Fire Science, plus some.

And as far as there not being a program in your area, you do realize that most programs can be obtained online right?

I am currently in my second qaurter of Fire Science. From what I have seen already, it basicly builds on your knowledge you learn in Basic FF/FF1.

I dont agree with the concept of taking Fire Science before you have real world expirience in the fire service. Reading it in a book is one thing, but being able to relate what you read to real life situations makes all the difference.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I cannot say that I will never take them but I am pretty confident.

I will never understand why so many people see fire science as the greatest thing since sliced bread. We have a very well known program at a local community college, but I dont see myself taking any classes there.

I know of plenty of chiefs, officers, and even line firefighters, that are on very very busy departments and have never considered taking fire science classes. These people have degrees in law, medicine, accounting, business, medicine, chemistry, biomedical engineering, political science, or even art. Some are deputy US marshals, secret service agents, helicopter and airline pilots, and even teachers.

You can get plenty of certs without ever going to a fire science course.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

FossilMedic

Assistant Professor Michael J. Ward
    The George Washington University
    former Fire Science Program Head, Northern Virginia Community College

Fire departments continue to hire as if it was 1899 - you are a slab of meat evaluated for your physical, mental and moral capabilities. Many municipal fire departments do not care about certifications before you are hired.

Except for one: Paramedic certification.
    While it has been discussed in academic meetings, there are few undergraduate programs that offer a combination fire/ems bachelor degree.

The question about fire science (or the value of a degree) comes up frequently, check these discussion threads:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=89561

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=89267

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=89435

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=88284

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=87744

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=86840

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=73367

From 35 pages of results when you search for the phrase "college degree"

If you are talking about a bachelor degree, it varies by age:

Less than 5% of the 40+ year old career firefighters have a bachelor degree.

About 10% of the 30-39 year olds have a bachelor degree, more than one-third of those without a degree have earned about 40 semester hours of credit (need 120 or so for a bachelor, 60 or so for an associate.)

About 20% of the 20-29 year olds have a bachelor degree, about half of those without a degree have earned about 50 semester hours of credit.

Firefighters have earned more hours and degrees where their employer requires it.

Even if not required, firefighters working in metro areas (big cities) tend to have more formal education. MY experience is that many chief officers have taken some fire science courses, since many of the fire science courses are linked to the civil service promotional exam areas: Building Construction, Strategy & Tactics, Hazardous Materials, Fire Service Supervision, etc.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeWard; 02-08-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Forum Member

Many departments, my career department included, require you to take some fire science classes. I don't think they are that great, but they are required.

To sit for our company officer promotional exam, you have to have a 2 year degree in Fire Science or a Bachelor's degree and the fire science core classes.

It is not really an option not to take them, if you want to get promoted.

Forum Member

Default Thank yo so much!

Everyone is being such a huge help! st42stephenAFT, i was actually looking at that college (NJCU) and that class so id definatley apreciate if you could let me know how it goes.
    Best of luck,
    Trucky

Forum Member

If I had to choose between hiring two firefighter candidates, (all other things being equal) if one had taken some fire science classes and one did not, I would choose the one with the classes.

Forum Member

Around here, there is a two-year fire science program for juniors and seniors in high school. That's what I'm taking. You get your State Firefighter and EMT-B if you test out. Able to join a department right out of high school and quickly advance on to Paramedic in continued schooling if you choose.

Anyone else have fire science program at surrounding high school? If so, I'd say take it. Couldn't hurt if you knock it out while you're still in high school.

Forum Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna have at least my bachelors, possibly masters and doctorate, just not in fire science.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanG View Post
    Around here, there is a two-year fire science program for juniors and seniors in high school. That's what I'm taking. You get your State Firefighter and EMT-B if you test out. Able to join a department right out of high school and quickly advance on to Paramedic in continued schooling if you choose.

Anyone else have fire science program at surrounding high school? If so, I'd say take it. Couldn't hurt if you knock it out while you're still in high school.
    We have the same class at a school in our area that you can take for the last two years of high school.
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

Forum Member

The State of Ohio has a program set up in which you can take college courses as a high school student- Post Secondary Options - Your local school board has to pick up the tab (tuition, books, and all fees. You have to pay for your parking pass, if applicable.). Find a local college that offers it that is in extremely close proximaty to your house/school and talk to your guidance counselor. Also, you can track your miles if you have to go from school to a college class and back to school and turn them into the school board at the end of the year and they will reimburse your gas money, or at least a percentage of it. I'm 4 classes into my FS degree and 3 into an English major (but that's only because I skipped out on my high school's junior english class and I had to do 2 english classes to override the high school english.) I don't have much intention to switch majors... if any.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    The State of Ohio has a program set up in which you can take college courses as a high school student- Post Secondary Options - Your local school board has to pick up the tab (tuition, books, and all fees. You have to pay for your parking pass, if applicable.). Find a local college that offers it that is in extremely close proximaty to your house/school and talk to your guidance counselor. Also, you can track your miles if you have to go from school to a college class and back to school and turn them into the school board at the end of the year and they will reimburse your gas money, or at least a percentage of it. I'm 4 classes into my FS degree and 3 into an English major (but that's only because I skipped out on my high school's junior english class and I had to do 2 english classes to override the high school english.) I don't have much intention to switch majors... if any.
    The fire science program I'm talking about is in connection with a local technical college. I take junior and senior year, and can continue it with the college further to get my paramedics when I graduate if I so choose.

I'll come out with an EMT-B and Firefighter II (I think that's the correct one).

I've already spoken to the counselor about Post Secondary. I'd only get EMT stuff, since the firefighter end wouldn't be taught to the degree I could get with the Fire Science program set up at a local school.

Forum Member

The fire science program I'm talking about is in connection with a local technical college. I take junior and senior year, and can continue it with the college further to get my paramedics when I graduate if I so choose.

I'll come out with an EMT-B and Firefighter II (I think that's the correct one).

I've already spoken to the counselor about Post Secondary. I'd only get EMT stuff, since the firefighter end wouldn't be taught to the degree I could get with the Fire Science program set up at a local school.
    I'm having trouble understanding...
    After completion of the Fire Science degree at the technical college, you'll come out with your EMT-B and FF-I or II... And then you can continue on to get your Medic. Ok. Got that.

Why couldn't you just take the FS classes as well as the EMT stuff at the college? You're saying that the FS classes at the local school are more in-depth than the college classes?

With my plan as of now (it changes often), I should be 8 classes into my FS degree as well as my EMT-B upon my high school graduation (I'm a junior).

The local vocational school is opening up a new complex this coming fall that will include a FS program as well as an EMT class, but to get into those, you have to take atleast one year of the crimincal justice program at the school last I had heard.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

If I still lived down in MoCo you can bet your sweet *** I'd be doing this.............

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/fi...ence/index.asp

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding...
    After completion of the Fire Science degree at the technical college, you'll come out with your EMT-B and FF-I or II... And then you can continue on to get your Medic. Ok. Got that.

Why couldn't you just take the FS classes as well as the EMT stuff at the college? You're saying that the FS classes at the local school are more in-depth than the college classes?
    I would not be able to get my Firefighter I or II if I went solo at the local college, just EMT-B. However, as long as I'm with the high school based program, they have teachers and a special group to do it together.

I don't know. After talking with the counselor, my best route is what I'm doing.

Thread Information