Thread: Flashlight ????

Forum Member

Default Flashlight ????

Recently my station was toned out as the second-due to a mobile home fire. I was one of the first volly's there (we can respond in POV) and was ordered to back up the nozzle"man" on the intial attack line. We proceded into the living/dining/kitchen room via the front door and quickly knocked down the bulk of the fire which was confined mostly to the back of this large room. After placing the fire under control, my crew and I were sent to the staging area for general rehab. It was then that I noticed that the lens cover and bulb attachment on my Responder Right Angle flashlight had come completely unscrewed from the body of the flashlight during the firefight from apparently the hose or some other foreign object rubbing against it enough times to unscrew it. One of the Lieu.'s on-scene told me that he had known someone who had the same problem with the same type of flashlight. My question is: has anyone else had this problem with these types of flashlights???

P.S. ALWAYS check those BA bottles to make sure they are fully on before going in so this doesn't happen to you with something a little more serious than replacing a flashlight, your life!!!!

Forum Member

We have had that problem countless times with those lights. We will never buy them again for our department. We went from the Survivor lights to those. Guys are fighting over the old Survivor lights, the Koehlers are junk.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I had that same problem with my responder RA, now I tighten the lens at the beginning of every shift so it's less likely to happen again.

Forum Member

Had my Responder in many fires. Never an issue.

Yours must have been loose to begin with.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12 View Post
    I had that same problem with my responder RA, now I tighten the lens at the beginning of every shift so it's less likely to happen again.
    If they were made correctly from the beginning, you would not even think to have tightend it once, let alone daily. The Survivor and Pelicans have gaskets that help keep them watertight and on the light.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Never had a problem with my responder light. I might put a little locktight on it now though. That sure would fix the problem for pennies.

as far as my life depending on the light goes, I have a back up cheapo in my pocket for that reason.

Forum Member

Here's a related thought:I wear a clip on light on my ball cap at work for when I need nighttime illumination.The same company also offers a black light for fishing at night(some fishing lines glow under black light) and says on the package that it can be used to detect bodily fluids at a crime scene.Appearently,they want to cash in on the "CSI" cool factor.
    Has anyone worn such a light while on an EMS run and used it during the assessment of an unconcious trauma patient?Or am I just being influenced by their advertising?

Forum Member

thanx for the input yall
    i replaced what was left of the flashlight with the streamlite ones that you can use with the rubber helmet band....works great.
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flashlights

My personal choice for flashlights has always been the advanced light. This light has taken a beating time and time again. I always strap it around my waist and it puts a large beam of light. I used in the first World Trade Center bombing and time and time again after. I have used it to a window when I was a volly Chief and my department has switched to these lights for all of the apparatus. You can get a 12 volt charger for your car if you keep it in your car or a house charger if you keep it in the firehouse. I swear by these lights. You can see one at the link below.
    http://www.emergencyresponderproduct...andlights.html

Permanently Removed

I love my Survivor. Been working for years and no problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now the on/off switch on my responder decides when it wants to work, the switch also gets stuck inside the flashlight. I just gave in and bought a rechargeable Big Ed, hopefully that wont suck!

MembersZone Subscriber

ex7500-

How well does the battery take a charge? Does the battery have a memory? I used to carry an old Die Hard lantern that was great. Unfortunately, the batteries had a bad memory, and I would have to get a new light every 12-18 months.Thanks.

Stay Safe.
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I love my Survivor. Been working for years and no problems.
    I'll second that. They are the best lights made. period.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

I miss the metal clips the Survivors had originally. Those plastic clips are crap.
    Chris Polimeni
    Back at the Big 29er

MembersZone Subscriber

All my lights are Kohler,never had any problems.
    Streamlight never seem to hold a full charge for long and not as bright.
    Big Eds, garbage.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by brozt316 View Post
    All my lights are Kohler,never had any problems.
    Streamlight never seem to hold a full charge for long and not as bright.
    Big Eds, garbage.
    Do you have any proof that the Big Ed is garbage, or is that just an unsubstantiated opinion?

MembersZone Subscriber

I liked my Big Ed as far as brightness/charging goes. The problem I had is that is was a little to heavy to wear on my coat (there was a huge difference when I took it off). I had to stop using it because the way I wore it on my coat, the PASS device kept turning on/off the light because of where the switch was. I have been using the Vulcans that we have on the rigs now. Been happy with them.

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Back at the Big 29er

Thread Information