Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default New guy w/ a couple questions...

First off, just wanted to say 'hi'. I've got a couple questions for anyone willing to lend an ear. I've strongly been considering becoming a firefighter, I feel it might be my calling. I'm 28 & currently live in Michigan where it is extremely difficult to get into the field. However, I do have family in the Dallas, TX area & have applied for the Dallas FD. All I've done is apply so far though. Just wondering if anyone here can give me any info about the Dallas FD and any other good info for newbies.
    My 2nd question is; I do have a fear of heights. It looks like I'm not the only one, but I'm wondering what advice anyone can give me to get over this fear & how much of an issue it might have been for some of you & what helped to get over it. Thanks in advance for your time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Meatbomb13 View Post
    First off, just wanted to say 'hi'. I've got a couple questions for anyone willing to lend an ear. I've strongly been considering becoming a firefighter, I feel it might be my calling. I'm 28 & currently live in Michigan where it is extremely difficult to get into the field. However, I do have family in the Dallas, TX area & have applied for the Dallas FD. All I've done is apply so far though. Just wondering if anyone here can give me any info about the Dallas FD and any other good info for newbies.
    My 2nd question is; I do have a fear of heights. It looks like I'm not the only one, but I'm wondering what advice anyone can give me to get over this fear & how much of an issue it might have been for some of you & what helped to get over it. Thanks in advance for your time.
    I actually have a huge fear of heights, and I could remember during the physical exam, we had to climb this huge unstable ladder every rung top to bottom in under 30 seconds. Right then and there, I made the decision to suck it up and just do it. My advice would probably be to do something that will give you a gut check, because I doubt I would have been able to do it otherwise. Good luck in the future brother.

you need to find the courage to push yourself beyond your fears, and do it. Reassuring yourself that you are safe is also a good idea, 99.9% of the time if you are climbing an aerial ladder/ rappelling, you are harnessed in securely, and you have to trust your equipment.

a saying that has stuck with me is,

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it"

-from a fortune cookie nonetheless

Forum Member

I have heard that with the right amount of wind, those aerial ladders can get pretty shaky.

Forum Member

I do have a fear of heights. It looks like I'm not the only one, but I'm wondering what advice anyone can give me to get over this fear & how much of an issue it might have been for some of you & what helped to get over it. Thanks in advance for your time.
    Don't look down.

The Dallas FD are full of a bunch of bad a**es!! Just go on youtube and watch some of those videos and read about them. But as for your fear of heights, just don't think about going up a ladder and just do it. My friend on my fd is the same way, but he just runs up the ladder without thinking twice. You addrenaline will be pumping so much, you won't realize how high you are.
    Last edited by tnff320; 02-10-2008 at 12:40 AM.

....I feel it might be my calling.
    Good luck- it's certainly not the money that's calling you!
    Luke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tnff320 View Post
    The Dallas FD are full of a bunch of bad a**es!! Just go on youtube and watch some of those videos and read about them. But as for your fear of heights, just don't think about going up a ladder and just do it. My friend on my fd is the same way, but he just runs up the ladder without thinking twice. You addrenaline will be pumping so much, you won't realize how high you are.
    Agreed. I never use to believe the whole adrenaline talk until the day of the cpat.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tnff320 View Post
    But as for your fear of heights, just don't think about going up a ladder and just do it. My friend on my fd is the same way, but he just runs up the ladder without thinking twice. You addrenaline will be pumping so much, you won't realize how high you are.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be aware of EXACTLY where you are, how high up, and all of that. The minute you stop thinking about things in this line of work, is the minute you could end up killing yourslef, and the rest of your crew.

You don't like heights, that's fine. Neither do I. However, we have a 110 foot aerial, and I climb it. I look down, I look up, all of that. Your adrenaline will help you, sure. However, for things like training, the key is to learn to trust your equiplment. I know I'm safe in the bucket, or climbing the ladder, as long as I'm doing it correctly, and paying attention to things on the way. You'll find after a few times, when nothing happens, it's a lot easier to keep going up.

Well thank you for all the replies, encouragement & info - I appreciate it.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Sup man. May just be telling you stuff you already know but if not, some of these things might help you.

www.dallasfirerescue.com

Forty-five (45) semester credit hrs., with a gpa of (C) 2.0 or greater from an accredited college or university (excluding developmental courses)
    Sixty (60) semester credit hrs., with a gpa of (C) 2.0 or greater for Fire Inspector.

Minimum of four (4) years of active service in the Armed Forces of the United States and received an "honorable discharge" will substitute for the entire college education.

Must be at least eighteen years of age to apply and cannot be 36 years of age by the time of the written civil service exam.

Valid Texas Drivers License with a good driving record.

Pass the Departments Physical Ability Test.

Vision (20/40 in one eye & 20/100 in other eye correctable to 20/20 and 20/40)

Weight within 25% of ideal limits.

Satisfactory employment record.

Free from use of controlled substances or excessive use of alcohol.

Must not have been convicted of any serious crime and/or have criminal charges pending.

Hope this helps.

Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Well, it's pretty normal to have some sort of fear of heights (or anything else for that matter), but firefighters (for the most part) seem to look past that when really needed.

I don't necessarily have a fear of heights, but rather a fear of being on something that has a high potential of falling (ground ladders mostly). The only reason for that is because when you are climbing a ground ladder, they tend to make noises and move a little bit and that tends to make me nervous when I get a few stories off the ground.

One thing I could suggest from my own experience with your fear of heights is that if you do join a fire department, talk to your chief and the rest of the officer's and let them know you have this fear because there has to be firefighters in that department that don't have that fear and will be willing to climb any ladder they have to.

My fire instructor told my graduating class to talk to our officer's and let them know because most of our officer's are OK with not forcing you to climb to uncomfortable heights if it's not necessary or there is someone else who can do it.

Gone.

I'm scared to death of heights, but on call it's like I can ignore it. Don't know why, but maybe it's the adrenaline pumping. I'm usually the one going up the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry4184 View Post
    I'm gonna have to disagree here. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be aware of EXACTLY where you are, how high up, and all of that. The minute you stop thinking about things in this line of work, is the minute you could end up killing yourslef, and the rest of your crew.

I do agree. What I meant was that you will be so focused on the job at hand, not actually paying attention to your fear of hieghts. And I STRONGLY agree with when you stop thinking you could kill yourself and others. Always be alert, thinking, and ready for anything!
    Last edited by tnff320; 02-10-2008 at 12:37 AM.

Forum Member

Yeah. After climbing a ladder a few times, and you realize you didn't fall the 100 or so feet to the ground, it tends to get easier. You just need to learn you can trust your equipment and crew to keep you safe. They'll teach you the right way to do things, and as long as you keep doing them safely, you'll be fine.

Dallas and the term bad asses do not go together in the same sentence.

go to the texas commision on fire protections webpage... look it up and click on employment.

most of the time, about 1/2 the cities listed are located in the DFW area...

and about the other half is in the houston area.

most require you to have FF/PM.

Afraid of heights?
    Dont go anywhere where there are tall buildings.... duh....
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Eng18a View Post

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it"
    I really like that. I'm going to remember that.

Way back when I had ladders at a community college, the instructor said "You'd climb a radio tower if I asked you to, wouldn't you? you're not scared of heights one bit"

very untrue. I hate them, I just go for it though.

Thread Information