Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default 2 Months, No News, Any help?

Hey all,
    I am currently in the process of applying to the Federal Fire Dept. on a local Army Base. It has been two months since the status on ANSWER has been updated, the status is "your resume has been refered to the selecting official for this position." My question is, should I contact the base Chief or just wait for an update?
    Thanks,
    R

Forum Member

I believe you are now on the selecting list with about 30 other canidates. The Veterans have priority and will be selected first. If the Chief wants you, he will usually send you an email asking if your still interested. This can sometimes take 4 months from the time you applied. So you still have some time before you start making calls to the Chief.

Hope this helps,

K

Quote Originally Posted by rcgregor View Post
    Hey all,
    I am currently in the process of applying to the Federal Fire Dept. on a local Army Base. It has been two months since the status on ANSWER has been updated, the status is "your resume has been refered to the selecting official for this position." My question is, should I contact the base Chief or just wait for an update?
    Thanks,
    R
    arff is correct- getting selected for a Federal position can be a loooooong process. It takes a while for the name to be selected, then that pick could turn down the job, so they offer it to the next name, and so on. Plus, updating ANSWER takes a while also. On the bright side, keep the faith as your name was selected and sent to the Fire Chief.

I would wait 15-30 more days. If you havn't heard anything by then, give the Fire Chief a call. Introduce yourself on the phone, explain that ANSWER hasn't updated in a good amount of time, and you are curious to see if the slot has been filled. If he says no, dont question him any further, he will most likely offer some information such as "I will be making the selection .......", or "three names have been sent to HR." If he says Yes, then thank him for his time. Ask him if he anticipates any openings in the near future, and see what he has to say.

Another good source of intellegence is current firefighters employed there- do you know any of them that are volunteers on your own department or on another volunteer company? They may be able to shed light on whether the slot has been filled or not.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thanks ARFF and FWD, I definately don't want to try to make the Chief mad so I will wait a while longer. The plus side is that I do get Vet's points, thanks to 5 years in the Marines active duty, I am now on with the MN Air Guard in the Fire Dept. so that shouldn't harm anything either. Like I said, I am new to the Federal application proscess and hopefully I don't have to get too used to the application process [read I hope I get a job soon.]

you with the 133rd? I was deployed with one of the guys down there from your station. I'm from about 140 miles north at the 148th.

-Damien

Forum Member

The 3 Navy FF jobs ive been offered took, from the date I applied, about 3 months untill I heard something. Then it took another 3-4 month to get a start date.

Forum Member

Cpol is way behind, and you should call them. I just had a friend gat hired at a army post and he had to call them to find out any thing. Then call the chief if you haven't found out any thing.

Forum Member

I called yesterday, and talked to posibly an admin type person at the fire department (she didn't identify her self as a ff or officer chief etc). As far as she knew the position is still open and no one has been hired. I will just keep waiting patiently for any news.
    Shortimer what branch of the reserves are you in?

Did you identify yourself and why you were calling when you called? Or were you trying to "fish" for info? Some depts might not mind this, but others get highly annoyed by this tactic.

We had a young firefighter pass away off duty. In the days between his death and the funeral we received multiple phone calls asking when and how we would hire for his position. Not one of these phone calls impressed us during that difficult time and actually made us highly upset. So, what am I saying with this rant, be professional and show respect to the Department and its personnel (to all its personnel, Chief, admin, it doesn't matter).

And yes you get points for being in the military, but so do a ton of other people that apply. A lot of people have some level of experience in the military as a firefighter and think once they get out they should get hired at their local base or base of their choice. For one opening there are a lot of applicants, more than people realize. There are no guarantees.

MembersZone Subscriber puntorotary's Avatar

any updates on your status? did you get hired or heard something?

Forum Member

ANSWER finally updated the other day. Unfortunately I was not selected this time, but maybe next time...

MembersZone Subscriber puntorotary's Avatar

thats sucks, im sorry to hear. I know how anxious and exciting it can be waiting for an answer and so nerve breaking also. Good luck next time around.

Thread Information