View Poll Results: Do you have a class A uniform

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    23 34.33%
  • Yes, the department purchases and maintains

    28 41.79%
  • Yes, I purchased and maintain

    8 11.94%
  • Yes, shared costs between employee and employer

    8 11.94%
  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,063

    Default Class A Uniforms

    Any thoughts on Class A uniforms would be appreciated. We are a small career department, 150 employees, and have discussed acquiring Class A uniforms.

    Do you all have them?

    Who is responsible for purchase / dry-cleaning?

    Where do you get them?

    Thanks
    Gein

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    BULL321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western, NC
    Posts
    3,432

    Default

    My VFD purchased one set of class A and one set of class B uniforms for every member of our dept. (34 FF) We wear them for funerals, open house and the such. Each FF is responsible to maintain their own uniform. It's a good Idea to buy uniforms (at least the shirt and pants) that can be cleaned/washed at home, to save the FF as much money as possable. Trust me I wear a uniform to work every day (deputy sheriff) and you can save a truck load of money if you don't have to take your uniforms to the dry-cleaner every time that it neads cleaning. I mean its not that hard to iron your own shirts. As to your question of where to purchase your class A uniforms? You have several options. You could speak to someone at your local Sheriff's Office, or Police Dept. to see where they get their uniforms from, there might be a store closs by, who would be able to stop by your dept. to measure all of your FFs to ensure a proper fit. Push come to shove there is all ways Galls. As to the cost, it all depends on the brand of uniform, My Fire Dept. has Horace Small uniforms and they cost @ $120.00 for LS shirt, tie and pants. But by the time you add a badge, name tag, dress coat and hat it can get quiet expensive.
    Good luck, I hope this helps

    Stay safe
    Bull

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    My VFD purchased one set of class A and one set of class B uniforms for every member of our dept. (34 FF) We wear them for funerals, open house and the such. Each FF is responsible to maintain their own uniform. It's a good Idea to buy uniforms (at least the shirt and pants) that can be cleaned/washed at home, to save the FF as much money as possable. Trust me I wear a uniform to work every day (deputy sheriff) and you can save a truck load of money if you don't have to take your uniforms to the dry-cleaner every time that it neads cleaning. I mean its not that hard to iron your own shirts. As to your question of where to purchase your class A uniforms? You have several options. You could speak to someone at your local Sheriff's Office, or Police Dept. to see where they get their uniforms from, there might be a store closs by, who would be able to stop by your dept. to measure all of your FFs to ensure a proper fit. Push come to shove there is all ways Galls. As to the cost, it all depends on the brand of uniform, My Fire Dept. has Horace Small uniforms and they cost @ $120.00 for LS shirt, tie and pants. But by the time you add a badge, name tag, dress coat and hat it can get quiet expensive.
    Good luck, I hope this helps

    Stay safe
    Bull
    Thanks - that is exactly the kind of info we are looking for.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    gunnyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    1,433

    Default

    My career dept of 100 has Class As. after completing probation, all FFs get a check to cover the cost of the initial purchase (about $400). We receive an annual clothing allowance to maintain all uniforms. We have inspections about every 2 years, but usually only wear them for funerals, promotions, and dept photos.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    We get $975 a year minus taxes for uniforms. We used to get an account with the full amount, but going to the cash payment system allowed us to add it to our pension.

    Each firefighter is responsible for purchasing their class A's and maintaining them out of the clothing allowance.

    One hint: buy them larger than what you need.. they shrink while they are in your closet!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    167

    Default

    My dept buys the uniform (350 +/-). Employees pay for dry cleaning. Dept pays for alterations do to promotions, years of service, etc. If they buy them over two or three years it makes it a little easier on the dept's budget.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Does anyone have any reccomendations on suppliers?

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    One hint: buy them larger than what you need.. they shrink while they are in your closet!
    Nice one!

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JHR1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    1,918

    Default

    One hint: buy them larger than what you need.. they shrink while they are in your closet!

    I would say they shrink while your behind a desk all day....


    gotcha
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

    "You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

  10. #10
    Piney Power
    PineyPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    331

    Default

    I am a member of a Volunteer Fire Company and our company buys and maintains our Class A Uniforms for our members.

    We purchase them from a Public Safety Uniform company down by Atlantic City, NJ called "This & That." It's a real nice company, in my opinion. We get a long sleeve shirt, a short sleeve shirt, a jacket, pants, clip-on tie (members can buy different ones if wanted), hat, patches get sewn on at the place, belt, and a few badges (for our jackets and hats).

    It's funny to me because when I go get a regular suit it takes almost an hour, but at this company they get all of this done within 20 minutes or so.

  11. #11
    Early Adopter
    cozmosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    Does anyone have any reccomendations on suppliers?
    My department will adopt a full-dress Class A uniform for all career members sometime this year. Our official supplier for these is Lighthouse Uniform Company. Our chief officers have already purchased theirs and I have not heard any complaints about Lighthouse's service.

    Their URL is...
    http://www.lighthouseuniform.com/

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    I would say they shrink while your behind a desk all day....


    gotcha

    I'm on my second set of dress blues. I had to get the second set in 1988, when I got promoted to LT. In my FD, officers wear the double breasted jacket. It's been upgraded a couple of times... for promotions and years of service.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,753

    Default

    We recieve a clothing allowance. A firefighter must purchase a Class A uniform during the first year of employment. The Town will pick up the cost of a new Class A uniform when you are promoted to Lt.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1

    Thumbs up Lighthouse Uniform Company

    Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    My department will adopt a full-dress Class A uniform for all career members sometime this year. Our official supplier for these is Lighthouse Uniform Company. Our chief officers have already purchased theirs and I have not heard any complaints about Lighthouse's service.

    Their URL is...
    http://www.lighthouseuniform.com/
    We used this reccomendation and couldnt be happier with the product or the level of customer service. They bulit our specs and got our Class A's to us on short notice.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Class A Uniforms
    By LFDAC21 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 11:56 PM
  2. Class A uniforms
    By freeport441 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 03:40 PM
  3. Class "A" Uniforms
    By gfd632 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 03:32 PM
  4. Class A Uniforms
    By phyrsRus in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2002, 08:14 PM
  5. Class A Uniforms
    By nsfirechap in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-1999, 01:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register