MembersZone Subscriber

Default KBR medication/medical policy

Hey all,
    I am hoping someone that has been throught the process can answer something that is kinda worrying me about the KBR process. In the application there are a bunch of questions you have to answer and some of it goes into exclusion criteria based on medical information. It says something along the lines of acute asthma or maintenance controlled asthma might be an exclusion criteria as well as any psych meds. I currently take advair for asthma and have not had an acute attack for years and take Adderal for ADD. Now ADD is not considered psych by most, but when I signed up with my new insurance they told me that I needed to meet with the psych doc for an evaluation, so at least some do consider it psych related. I'm trying to get a feel whether I need to totally get off Adderal and deny any need for it or what and I'm also in a dilemma if the maintenance medication thing for asthma might snag me with my Advair. Anyone that has been through the medical eval or has had a same/similar situation, your input would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a medic in Afghanistan for almost 16 months now.

The advair will not count against you in Houston as long as you are controlled and have been attack free. There are lots of people here with asthma. They are usually on Singulair and Allegra as well.

Heck even the Army has relaxed medical standards and now gives medical waivers to people with asthma.

As for the Adderall, since my wife takes the same medication I am familiar.

This is a controlled narcotic. It will NOT be allowed in theater.

Not only is it not allowed, if it were you would have great difficulty obtaining it.
    Since it is controlled narcotic it is only given out in person to which it is prescribed only in a 30 day supply.

Not knowing how severe you ADD is when you are off your meds, only you can make the decision as you have now been informed of the rules. Is being off the med going to create problems at work? Only you know the answers.

MembersZone Subscriber

AKFlightMedic, can you shoot me an email regarding getting my resume sent out to you. I applied a few weeks ago with KBR and was hoping to make some connections over there. I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks!!
    Nick

EMTenor@hotmail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AKflightmedic View Post
    I am a medic in Afghanistan for almost 16 months now.

The advair will not count against you in Houston as long as you are controlled and have been attack free. There are lots of people here with asthma. They are usually on Singulair and Allegra as well.

Heck even the Army has relaxed medical standards and now gives medical waivers to people with asthma.

As for the Adderall, since my wife takes the same medication I am familiar.

This is a controlled narcotic. It will NOT be allowed in theater.

Not only is it not allowed, if it were you would have great difficulty obtaining it.
    Since it is controlled narcotic it is only given out in person to which it is prescribed only in a 30 day supply.

Not knowing how severe you ADD is when you are off your meds, only you can make the decision as you have now been informed of the rules. Is being off the med going to create problems at work? Only you know the answers.
    Good to hear about the advair, that's the one I was worried about. I had actually decided to come off the Adderal about a month ago and have been kinda waffling about that, but I think it's the right idea. I have suspected taht for the last several months that it wasn't really working the way I want, so I had been pretty much ready to drop it anyways. I was one of those people that the doctors "suspected" had ADD, but never did any formal testing to back that up. They put me on the adderall and it worked for a bit, but I don't think that ADD was the issue so once I built up a tolerance to the dose it didn't do much after that. Anyways, I have already started decreaasing the dosage to come off so it sounds like from what you say that's probably the best thing if I want to work over there.
    Speaking of, like Nick I am hoping to get over there and am looking for some contacts on that side, so if you wouldn't mind dropping me a line as well I'd love to drop you my resume and see if you think that I would work over there. Please drop me a line at skbreland@hotmail.com if you don't mind sharing some information.

Forum Member

Default Medic job in Iraq

Could someone in country help me out. I'm looking for contract paramedic work overseas, preferably in the sandbox. Fifteen years experience and looking to switch gears. Thanks

Thread Information