Thread: R&R Travel

Forum Member

Default R&R Travel

You need to stay out of the states for 330 days if working overseas for tax purposes.
    When traveling around the world on R&R do you travel alone or try to schedule with somebody at your station?
    Im wanting to see Egypt, Italy and Greece...thats the plan as of right now before I leave this month for Houston.
    I will go alone if I have. I know a guy that is working in Iraq as a mechanic. He had to travel alone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well the obvious answer is to always find a buddy to go with if you can. Its always been my experience not to rely on anybody else to decide whether or not they want to go with you. If you want to go somewhere....then just go!! I've asked sooo many people if they wanted to go with me to different countries, and they just end up flaking out in the end. But I still went on with or with out them. I travelled alone to Australia for 17 days while I was working in Kuwait, and had a blast. I also knew a lot of guys who went around by themselves as well. Remember that is a once in a lifetime opportunity you have to see different places, so take full advantage! When you get back to the US making crap for money the chances to travel will be a lot more difficult. Eat it up while you can.
    Last edited by pyromike66; 02-02-2008 at 04:24 PM.

jl
    Forum Member

Also, remember, only so many people can be on R&R at one time, so getting to go at the same time w/someone at your base is not gonna happen.
    Definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity to see places you'll never have a chance to again.

Forum Member

I'm backin up what these guys are saying. If you've got the chance, definitely do it.

I traveled around Germany and Czech Republic by myself and I had a blast. I definitely don't speak German or Czech, but I managed alright. There were a couple cities/nights where I didn't do much and didn't meet anyone else in my hostel that spoke English; but, for the most part, every place I stayed I met people that spoke English and wanted to hang out.

It's a blast and a HUGE opportunity, bro. Go for it.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

Im traveling the world if somebody wants to go with me or not. I figured it would be somewhat difficult getting somebody elses schedule to match up, but thats ok. Im still pretty young (26) and cant wait for the opportunity to see places I might not ever get to see otherwise!!

Forum Member

Get prepped for an amazing experience. You'll meet some great people, see some amazing things, and get some stories that are worth every penny. Good luck man.

Although I'm your age, I wish I would have done more when I was in college and had the chance. If I wasn't (hopefully) gearing up for the greatest opportunity ever, I'd be in your shoes.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

mrffmike
    Firehouse.com Guest

Does anyone know how much it costs to fly back to the U.S. for your R&R? I want to come back for one them but I understand the company only give you like $800 or something. Is that enough for a round trip? I'm gonna want to go to the west coast also, if anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Before fuel prices spiked, I saw prices at 1100 dollars.

Now the average has been 1300-2500 depending on when you go.

My December ticket was just under 1900 dollars.

My tickets prior to that one were 1200-1400 dollars, which usually seems to be the average.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default tickets back

wsi and kbr give you up to 860 on your R&R for tickets, if you use less then that, then they only give you what you spent. My ticket back to Atlanta in April is costing my 1100.00 and i am flying non stop both ways so thats not bad.

when i flew to Bangkok, round trip from dubai was only 550.00. So lots of vacations from dubai can be less then the 860 flight charge, which is great.

i fly my girl out to where ever i go so it get costly for me, but if your traveling alone or with friends seeing the world is pretty cheap .

it really depends on where your flying to , and dont wait till the last minute to buy it, buy once your leave is approved so you get a better price.

Forum Member

Default Thc030

Quote Originally Posted by thc030 View Post
    when i flew to Bangkok, round trip from dubai was only 550.00. So lots of vacations from dubai can be less then the 860 flight charge, which is great.
    THC,

I would take all my RR's to Thailand and flew Emerites Business Class round trip. In 2005-06 i paid $1,200-$1,270 a ticket to do this.
    Of course after getting WSI's reimbursement of $860.00 I only paid about $400.00 for my ticket. The plus is Business Class has its own security check-in, passport control and check in counters. The food and the comfort was the best.
    THC take this as a suggestion. I know you have to pay for your girlfriend to meet you so it gets pricey.
    Remember Thai-Air also has a non-stop to Bangkok from LAX and from New York. This saves hours and stress for your girlfriend.
    The lounges at the airport (if you fly business or higher) all provide free food, internet, liquor, couches and phone.
    You board almost whenever you want and no waiting.
    All this for $400.00 is really a treat we won't afford back in the states again. Try it at least once while you still can.

Godfather

Forum Member

firefight81,

just like everyone here is saying....take advantage of your situation alone or not. I can't really speak for travel prices becasue i am sure they have gone up since i was in country from 04 to 05. But, i will tell you this. I traveled europe for one and came back to the states for the other R & R. I flew into London and then traveled to places in Germany, France, Monte Carlo and Austria. I didnt pay a penny for any of my flights to and from dubai. However, i had the costs of traveling within the European theater. I decided that i was gonna just wing it in Europe and go wherever I felt like it. It is a little more pricey that way when moving around but, definetely worth it. There is alot of really neat and interesting places to go. So, unless you know exactly where you want to go I would recommend just moving on as you feel like it. As you are in one place you will talk to others from that country and you will get plenty of ideas on where you might want to go. The train is definetely the way to travel through europe. You can buy a Eurorail pass for unlimited usage. I forget the exact name of it and how much it cost but that is definetely the way to go. Like everyone else is saying....this is a once in a lifetime travel opportunity for you. You will definetely have the option to travel anywhere in the world you want.

Thread Information