Forum Member

Default Sleeping Arrangements

Alright here it is, the department where I work has been combination career/paid on call for many years now. Our current station has 6 beds; 3 in one room, 3 in the other. Well here lies the problem. Up until 2 years ago there were only 6 people on the 24/48 shift and 2 daytime personnel. All 24 hour shift personnel had their own assisgned bed. Here's the kicker; I was hired 2 years ago to expand the on duty personnel. We have another starting next week. So now there is 8 24 hour personnel. 2 shifts with 3 and one shift with 2. I have been stripping someone elses bed and putting my sheets on for 2 years. Well instead of buying 2 bunk beds to fix the problem the chief decided to make everyone strip there beds now.

So my question is, what do you think of this, and how are the sleeping arrangements in your department?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cfd312 View Post
    Alright here it is, the department where I work has been combination career/paid on call for many years now. Our current station has 6 beds; 3 in one room, 3 in the other. Well here lies the problem. Up until 2 years ago there were only 6 people on the 24/48 shift and 2 daytime personnel. All 24 hour shift personnel had their own assisgned bed. Here's the kicker; I was hired 2 years ago to expand the on duty personnel. We have another starting next week. So now there is 8 24 hour personnel. 2 shifts with 3 and one shift with 2. I have been stripping someone elses bed and putting my sheets on for 2 years. Well instead of buying 2 bunk beds to fix the problem the chief decided to make everyone strip there beds now.

So my question is, what do you think of this, and how are the sleeping arrangements in your department?
    Every person on my job strips their bed before they go home, and make them when they get there. Been doing it that way since they went to the three platoon system in 195?.

MembersZone Subscriber

I strip my bed every day here, have been for 21yrs now.
    The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
    proof of His absence.

Forum Member

What's the problem? Firefighters have been making up and tearing down their bunks for years.

A lot of jakes use a sleeping bag... just roll it up after visiting the "corridor of dreams"...

I wouldn't complain too loudly, the "mutts" may decide to put you guys on 8 hours shifts with no rack time whatsoever!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Let's talk fire trucks!

Agree with the others on here, been stripping my bed every morning after work since I got on the job. Keep the linens rolled in my locker, and just unroll 'em before bed. Takes about 3 minutes.

We have 11 beds with 10 assigned to each shift. The extra bed is for the captain, who floats between shifts.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

the 4-1-4

Nine beds with nine on shift each day.

The sleeping bag is your friend. Ask some of the Navy guys how their sleeping quarters were on ship.

Forum Member

I guess most of the guys have had their bed for so many years and are complaining about it, and I just fall right in with them. I already have to strip the bed of their stuff, and put mine on, then back to their stuff in the morning. It's just a "incentive" of having your own bed I guess. It's not that bad really, cause I have to do the same when I work EMS on my off days.

Forum Member

Six beds with five guys on shift. Also have roll out cots for storm coverage or guys coming in the night before for a day shift if bad weather, etc. Plus there's always the good ol' couch. and recliners.

One of the first things I do when I come in is spray the mattress I'll use with lysol spray. It usually takes about two hours to dry fully.

Forum Member

I never left a rack made up, didn't have the luxury. Sleep in the sheets two shifts then wash them. And sleeping bags? Forget about it. I'm not on a camping trip!
    IAFF

Forum Member

We strip our beds every shift and sanitize once a week. It's good to clean the sheets and whatnot at least once a week. My $.02.

Forum Member

Do you guys not have lockers? Each guy here strip his own bed in the morning and puts the bedspread back on... No sleeping bag here... Nice sheets and good blanket..

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess most of the guys have had their bed for so many years and are complaining about it, and I just fall right in with them. I already have to strip the bed of their stuff, and put mine on, then back to their stuff in the morning. It's just a "incentive" of having your own bed I guess. It's not that bad really, cause I have to do the same when I work EMS on my off days.
    The guys are complaining about stripping thier beds?? I would hate to see what happend if your admin talked about layoffs. Better remove all sharp objects and shoe laces!!

stay safe
    JJ
    Shut the nozzle stupid, thats' smoke not fire!

MembersZone Subscriber

We have more beds than men...the ones that are used the night before...have the sheets changed and dirties put in the laundry during committee work.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

We work two night shifts in a row, so I get lo leave my bed made for a night, day and night, then pack it up the second morning for my 2 days off. Two men on shift and two beds.

Forum Member

If I were you I wouldn't let too many people know that this is one of the chief complaints about your job.

Forum Member

If the chief is getting involved that must be the problem. I would never take something as petty as this to the chief. Settle it among your selves. Take up a collection and buy another bed.

Forum Member

My God -you poor thing--sue them!
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

You guys sleep at your Firehouse?
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

^^^ Good point.

We should all be grateful that we even get the chance to go to bed. I think b*tching about sleeping arrangements should be a bit lower on the priority list, don't you?

FIGJAM

My taxes don't pay for you people to sleep you know....

Get out there and maitain your hydrants or something!
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

The career department I ran on even provided the linens, which we washed every shift by the probies coming on. Worked for us.

There were no "assigned" beds, but a Captain at one station was so, ahem, pungent, that no one touched the bed he slept on, and it remained made with his linens every day. In the entire time I was there, I'm not sure his stuff was ever washed, as even the lowly probies weren't expected to mess with his disgusting stuff. He's since retired, I wonder if they burned his matress since.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

I guess most of the guys have had their bed for so many years and are complaining about it, and I just fall right in with them. I already have to strip the bed of their stuff, and put mine on, then back to their stuff in the morning.
    If anyone ever expected me to unmake their bed then remake it for them - they would find their bedding in the trash can being used by the rats after the local bums had a go at it. Lazy ******. We all take care of our own bunk every shift.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    If anyone ever expected me to unmake their bed then remake it for them - they would find their bedding in the trash can being used by the rats after the local bums had a go at it. Lazy ******. We all take care of our own bunk every shift.
    As it should be (taking down your bunk at the end of your tour).
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-10-2008 at 03:34 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Angry

SIDENOTE

NOTE here for the Media: Post, Herald, Times, Globe, Bugle....and all others. This open thread doesn't represent all Firefighters and their Department's.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 02-10-2008 at 10:54 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Our guys typically give the bedding a good soaking and put it in the freezer for them. I've "heard" of instances where bedding has been stuffed into a 5-gallon bucket of water, then stuck in the freezer.

Thread Information