Thread: Passport Info..

Forum Member

Default Passport Info..

I recieved my passport in only 12 days. Somebody at WSI told me a visa is not required for the countries we need access to for the job.

Im reading about Egypt, Italy and some other countries. Do you know if I need a visa for the countries I want to travel to?

I will call the passport people to confirm but I wanted to ask the board also. I dont know the difference between a passport and a visa. This international travel thing is new to me.
    Last edited by Firefight1981; 02-03-2008 at 02:35 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firefight1981 View Post
    I recieved my passport in only 12 days. Somebody at WSI told me a visa is not required for the countries we need access to for the job.

Im reading about Egypt, Italy and some other countries. Do you know if I need a visa for the countries I want to travel to?

I will call the passport people to confirm but I wanted to ask the board also. I dont know the difference between a passport and a visa. This international travel thing is new to me.
    I am not an expert on this, it took me a couple of months to get my work visa.

if you are going to those Countries as a tourist, then you should not need a visa. (check with the US state Department before you travel) But if you are going to work in those Countries then you will need a work visa, get with your company's travel section and have them apply for the visa. they should know how and who to send the request to.
    When I went to Aruba to work I had the work visa given to me before I went, and had to show it at the airport.
    On my trip to Angola, I have a form to show at the airport and then the work visa is stamped in to my pass port.

Either way good luck and be safe where ever you go. again talk to the US state dept, on restrictions and recommendations before you buy the ticket.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

You need a VISA for just about every country you enter. However, many if not most countries will stamp you passport with a VISA when you enter, so you need not apply for a VISA beforehand. You need to find out if you need to apply for a tourist VISA or if they issue them on the spot at the airport. There are many types of VISA (student, work, diplomatic, tourist, retirement, multiple-entry, single-entry, and many more). Chances are as an American and if just going as a tourist you need not apply beforehand or really do anything. You will stand in a long line at the airport the immigration officer will ask why you are wanting to enter the country and he will simply stamp your passport with a visa. There is a limit to how long you can stay and this really depends on the country it could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 16 months.

Now, the difference between the two is the passport is the little book that has your picture and identifies you as an U.S. National. The VISA is nothing more than a stamp inside the passport that gives you permission to be in a country. Now, to complicate this whole think even more is that many countries are now using e-passports. My wife is Thai I just got back from the Thai Consulate in Chicago last week because they now use electronic passports. You no longer have the little book and all you do is scan your palm at the airport and they know everything about you. It is much safe and harder to forge than a traditional passport.

Once you have you passport you want to take a few copies of the first page. Put one in you wallet, one in you carry-on bag, and a third in you suitcase. If you lose you passport having copies will make things easier when trying to get a new one. I know this because I had my passport stolen while in Taiwan. Also, if you want to know if you need a VISA call the Embassy of the country you are visiting they make the rules and are the ones you need to deal this. The State department does not issue VISAS to foreign countries. Hope this helps
    Last edited by malana1; 02-04-2008 at 01:33 AM.

Forum Member

Thread Information