MembersZone Subscriber

Default IAFF/IAFC Peer Fitness Trainer - PFT

This looks to be an excellent program.

Unfortunately the dates and locations are few and far between and nowhere near me.

Has anybody done the self-study for the exam?

It is clear that you would get more out of a hands-on with peer interaction, but any experiences with self-study would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can't take the PFT exam, unless you've taken the workshop.

JC
    http://www.ultimatefirefighterworkout.blogspot.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by westchester47 View Post
    You can't take the PFT exam, unless you've taken the workshop.

JC
    JC - You can self-study and take a computer based exam.

"Examination Cost Without Workshop:
    The examination administration option is recommended only for those candidates who have a degree in exercise science and have extensive experience in fitness training as it relates to the fire and emergency services. This option allows candidates with a strong background in exercise science to study the PFT materials at their own pace. "

See: http://www.iaff.org/HS/PFT/PFT%20Candidate%20Guide.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Good Catch!

I didn't remember it was an option, cause in the almost 7 years I've taught the course, I've never had anyone self-study, and take the test in conjunction with the five-day workshop. Ever!

I could see the second option, which is that you take the test at a site using the Lasergrade Computer Based Testing (CBT).

I don't know how many individuals have used the second option but I can tell you,not many.

That said, take the test if you have strong background in Exercise Science, have good study habits and are disciplined.

Goodluck!
    JC

Forum Member

I just received my test results and should be getting my cert in a few weeks. Forgive the pun. However, that was a big weight off of my shoulders. I left the exam center "clueless" on how I did. The exam is very intense with the questions and answers being similar to the NREMT-P Exam. Good Luck to whoever takes it.

Hint: Utilize the books that you should receive several weeks prior to the course.
    Last edited by FDAIC485; 02-19-2008 at 02:06 PM.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Default Tough Test

"I just received my test results and should be getting my cert in a few weeks. Forgive the pun. However, that was a big weight off of my shoulders. I left the exam center "clueless" on how I did. The exam is very intense with the questions and answers being similar to the NREMT-P Exam. Good Luck to whoever takes it.

Hint: Utilize the books that you should receive several weeks prior to the course."

I could not agree more! I just got my certificate in the mail and until those results showed up in my mailbox I had NO IDEA how well (or terrible) that I had done on the test. Spoke with one of the assistant chiefs at a nearby department and he informed me that according to the instructor (A great teacher, and Cpt. on Phoenix FD) about half of the class failed the test. I think that just going over the material for about an hour each night during the workshop is probably what allowed me to pass.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default question

I hope that you guys are still checking here. I am interested in doing this certification. I was wondering if any of you could tell me how extensive your background in this feild was. I am a fire fighter / instructor and do not have an extensive background in Physical Fitness or alike. Am I going to be getting in over my head of if I study and put time into it will it work. Thanks in advance for you assistance

Ray
    "Let No Firefighters Ghost Return To Say Their Training Let Them Down"

Can anyone tell me what is required to pass the PFT test? We had a group take the class and test recently and two FF's had the same results:

Assessment pass
    Design fail
    Implementation pass
    Administration fail

One received a certification and the other one failed. We had assumed that you had to pass three of the four areas in order to pass. Any ideals???

Thread Information