Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SkipJack270's Avatar

Default Where to go from here..

I'm trying to get some advice / direction / divine inspiration, and hoping you folks might be able to help (at least with two of the three, anyway.)
    I am trying to find a better job within my dream field (firefighting, obviously), and having some trouble. Here is where I am at:
    - Served as an active member in a volunteer department for about three years (moved out of PA and into a totally career department area in CT.)
    - Graduating in May of this year with an Associates Degree in Fire and Occupational Safety from University of New Haven. (I have a lot more credits, in fact about halfway toward a Bachelors in Fire Science as well.)
    - I am a current fire truck and emergency vehicle mechanic.
    - I was a certified EMT-B in PA (Sadly, not national, only state certified.)

My question is where should I be looking for jobs and opportunities within the fire field? Although I would love to be a volunteer firefighter, I don't think being a career firefighter is in the cards for me (personal choice.) I think my interests, experience, and knowledge would be better suited to something like arson investigation (my first choice), or as an alternative, something along the lines of inspector / fire marshal / code enforcement, etc. Public, private, local, state, whatever.
    What kinds of recommendations would you all have for the places I could look, or the kinds of things I should be doing to find and attain that goal? I realize that getting more certifications would help, but there must be places I can go where I could be useful and involved with this kind of work while I go for the higher level certifications, etc.
    Please help!
    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SkipJack270 View Post
    I'm trying to get some advice / direction / divine inspiration, and hoping you folks might be able to help (at least with two of the three, anyway.)
    I am trying to find a better job within my dream field (firefighting, obviously), and having some trouble. Here is where I am at:
    - Served as an active member in a volunteer department for about three years (moved out of PA and into a totally career department area in CT.)
    - Graduating in May of this year with an Associates Degree in Fire and Occupational Safety from University of New Haven. (I have a lot more credits, in fact about halfway toward a Bachelors in Fire Science as well.)
    - I am a current fire truck and emergency vehicle mechanic.
    - I was a certified EMT-B in PA (Sadly, not national, only state certified.)

My question is where should I be looking for jobs and opportunities within the fire field? Although I would love to be a volunteer firefighter, I don't think being a career firefighter is in the cards for me (personal choice.) I think my interests, experience, and knowledge would be better suited to something like arson investigation (my first choice), or as an alternative, something along the lines of inspector / fire marshal / code enforcement, etc. Public, private, local, state, whatever.
    What kinds of recommendations would you all have for the places I could look, or the kinds of things I should be doing to find and attain that goal? I realize that getting more certifications would help, but there must be places I can go where I could be useful and involved with this kind of work while I go for the higher level certifications, etc.
    Please help!
    Get the heck out of the northeast! Go south. VA, NC, SC, FL are all places where you will find it easier to get on.

Here's a mistake I see kids making. Every kid wants the big job; FDNY, DCFD, Boston, Chicago, etc. The fact of the matter is that some of the smaller career FD's have better working conditions, better pay, better equipment and an overall better quality of life for you and your family. It may be easier to get on in those areas as well. True, you may not see four third-alarm fires in one night, but the big picture is a little brighter.

Good luck.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

One other thing to consider about VA, NC, SC, and FL, is they are all Right-To-Work states. What does this mean? You will work longer hours for less money, your employer doesn't have to recognize your union, and most of those states also have lesser pension's when compared to their pro-union north eastern counter parts. Just something to keep in mind.

While I appreciate the advice, I am more looking to stay in CT for now, so I can finish my B.S. degree. One thing I was curious about, I keep an eye on the newspaper and online job announcment type things, but is there any other really good way to hear about fire service jobs? I'm not talking paid firefighter type, I mean more in line with arson or investigation type work.
    you will not be burned;

MembersZone Subscriber

While I appreciate the advice, I am more looking to stay in CT for now, so I can finish my B.S. degree. One thing I was curious about, I keep an eye on the newspaper and online job announcment type things, but is there any other really good way to hear about fire service jobs? I'm not talking paid firefighter type, I mean more in line with arson or investigation type work.
    First off, stay away from those sites that promise to give you fire fighter job openings in return for a hefty fee. They are a rip-off and provide you with the same info you can find on your own.

Secondly, www.firearson.com is the website for the IAAI. There is a job listings section on there. You can check that out. I think there are about 5 positions listed right now. You do not have to be a member to access this. But you might want to consider membership.

Best source for fire jobs I have found- www.firerecruit.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Best source for fire jobs I have found- www.firerecruit.com
    Every single piece of information they have on that site can be obtained elsewhere. This is simply another example of someone making a buck off the backs of vulnerable kids with a dream to be a FF.

Default It's the American Way

They are in a business and in businesses they sell. Nobody twists any arms for Candidates to go their. It's like driving all over town to get the cheapest gas. Maybe the Candidates who need the help can go to their Web Sites.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Default Job listings

I think subscribing to a service that provides listings of upcoming firefighter tests is a good idea for the $7.50+ a month. It saves all the leg work of trying to contact every agency and newspaper and hope the interest card you mail in gets activated when the agency tests. It provides information on what the qualifications are and all the necessary information needed for the process.

These agencies are ahead of the curve by staying up on whatís happening and when. Just missing one possible filing could cost you an opportunity. Since the more tests you take the better you can get at taking tests you could receive an announcement for an out of state of region test you might have not considered.

Many who post in these forums are already subscribed members of firehouse.com

"There is no free lunch. There are better places to eat."

You can check out Firehouse.com service here: http://cms.firehouse.com/content/jobs
    Last edited by CaptBob; 02-07-2008 at 08:23 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I think subscribing to a service that provides listings of upcoming firefighter tests is a good idea
    I'm shocked.

I thought you two weren't going to post on here anymore? Guess that fits with you guys' general attitude that not telling the truth is OK.

Forum Member

skip...or to find firefighting jobs look on here for free. I have seen more announcments and honest ones than on pay sites. For example Toledo and Perrysburg city are going to test this year in ohio

Default $$

LOL...Georgie at least your consistant.$$Cha-Ching$$.It's America Pal and those of us who try to help can be here. I think your syber-bullying is soooooo childish.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

I appreciate all the advice you guys and/or gals have posted. One thing that still is an open question for me is, what kinds of things can I do with a Fire Science degree? I mean, I know that firefighter, arson investigator, etc. are the obvious choices. Are there other careers (b/c that is what I am looking for, not another job that simply is a paycheck) that may not be obvious that I can apply all this misc. fire stuff to? For instance, are state/local building inspectors a subset of fire science (because of all the codes and standards) or is that on a different track entirely? Thanks. Stay safe.
    you will not be burned;

MembersZone Subscriber

I appreciate all the advice you guys and/or gals have posted. One thing that still is an open question for me is, what kinds of things can I do with a Fire Science degree? I mean, I know that firefighter, arson investigator, etc. are the obvious choices. Are there other careers (b/c that is what I am looking for, not another job that simply is a paycheck) that may not be obvious that I can apply all this misc. fire stuff to? For instance, are state/local building inspectors a subset of fire science (because of all the codes and standards) or is that on a different track entirely? Thanks. Stay safe.
    I have preaching on here one occupation that is rapidly growing, has opportunities in many different areas of fire protection and can be quite lucrative: Fire Protection Engineering.

A few schools have online graduate programs (Univ. of Md., WPI for example) and a few more have on campus programs (not sure about UNH).

Instead of me talking about the field, get it straight from the experts:

http://www.sfpe.org/

Good luck

Default continue to bully

i appreciate george's willingness to call the advertisers out on their motives. not that there is anything inherently wrong with offering a service and expecting to be paid for it (and advertising that service). but, i look at these forums as a place to seek advice from people i can trust and peers going through the same trials as myself. i don't want to hear from a salesman. therefore, i see george's "cyber-bullying" as someone in-the-know standing up for me and giving me the facts. as a new guy, its hard to know who to trust and who to believe. so i want to hear from the guys with something to offer, not something to sell. anyway, those are my thoughts. i don't mean to be aggressive, just felt like something that needed to be said.

Thread Information