Forum Member

Default SCBA Grant Question

Ok here is a question, what if your price for your SCBA, RIT packs and tracking sytem from both competitors comes in under FEMA's Amount, what do you do then to keep everything legal??

Forum Member

Sorta confused by your question, Chief.

Were you awarded an SCBA grant? What is the amount being offered by FEMA and what were your bids coming in at?

You will be able to spend some of the excess funding, but it all depends on how much and some other factors.

MembersZone Subscriber

To Sly's response i would add that if you were awarded the larger amount (above $5,000/pack) it would be wise to check with your FPS before planning on spending any excess funding. I have a feeling that the SCBA awards with larger limits will be under a little more scrutiny and spending of excess might be tighter.

Just a feeling.

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Based on your posting it appears you are asking which competitor to go with.
    With that in mind, I'm assuming that you were awarded an AFG Grant for those items and the competitors are competing SCBA companies. Bid requests were sent and recieved, with both coming in under the budget amount.

To decide on which comapny to go with will depend on a couple of issues. First, you must follow the procurement rules for the local, state or federal government. Typically, this means the award is given to the lowest bidder in most cases, unless the bid can be thrown out for not meeting various component(s) of the bid document.

The decision needs to be based on the SCBA. The other components RIT packs and tracking system are compatible to those specific SCBA. So, if Brand X SCBA is cheaper than Brand Y, but the RIT pack and tracking system cost more than Brand Y's, you are able to purchase Brand X's, because of interoperability and compatibilty.

Again these are assumptions based on what little info that has been provided.

Forum Member

Ok, sorry for the little information but i got i think the answers i was looking for this morning, sorry about that and sorry for the little information came in with the max price of the unit being under $5,000.00,

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief--Any chance you'd be willing to post the details of the question and the answer you got so we can all learn a little? Sure would be appreciated by those of us heading down the SCBA road for 2008 AFG.

Thanks,
    earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    Chief--Any chance you'd be willing to post the details of the question and the answer you got so we can all learn a little? Sure would be appreciated by those of us heading down the SCBA road for 2008 AFG.

Thanks,
    earl
    ....Seconded!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We got an SCBA grant through AFG a couple of years ago and if I understand the Chief's question, he's having the same issue we did....we based our requested amount on quotes that we received from a couple of manufacturers, and then, after we were awarded the money, the bids we received were actually lower than the quoted estimates we used when writing the grant. Ergo, we had some money left over. I called our grant administrator and explained the situation and basically, you can spend the rest of the money as long as it's for more of the same item or related to the same project. So we were able to add a couple more SCBA's to our inventory with the extra money. BUT, I would make sure to run it by your FEMA contact and make sure they understand the situation, and find out how they want you to handle it and document the change, before you do anything.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thread Information