MembersZone Subscriber

Default Labeling/Marking SCBA's and SCBA parts suggestions?

Here's the problem. We have old supriseairs (I mean survivairs ) and we have new ones. As most of you know they're nearly the same with the only difference being the heads up display. Now the new masks work with the old and new packs, but the old works with only the old packs. I need to figure out a good way to label not only the packs which should be easy, but the parts inside the masks.

What I'm asking, has anyone labeled the internal parts of the masks? I need them to at least say if it's old or new, I'd like to have them match a certain pack. I thought about using a small dot of paint, but I'm not sure if I could put that anywhere on the smaller internal parts.

If anyone has any good suggestions on how to keep them straight I'd really appreciate it. One might suggest that everyone just keeps up with it and uses common sense. We common sense isn't a factory installed option for some people and this will make it easier on me because I'm the one who keeps up with them.

Forum Member

Get a paint pen from a hobby/craft store. try and make it easy cause if you have color blind members they may not be able to discern the difference between white and yellow etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Get a paint pen from a hobby/craft store. try and make it easy cause if you have color blind members they may not be able to discern the difference between white and yellow etc.
    I thought about that. My only concern is durability of the paint. I guess if it comes off you just re-apply it though. thanks

Forum Member

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but why do you need to "mark" the inside parts of the mask?

We are in a similiar situation, but our older masks don't look like the new ones, so there wasn't a need for any markings other than personal identifiers for the new masks since we all were issued our own facepiece.

A paint marker worked well on mine. Haven't had to redo it yet (~4 years).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but why do you need to "mark" the inside parts of the mask?

We are in a similiar situation, but our older masks don't look like the new ones, so there wasn't a need for any markings other than personal identifiers for the new masks since we all were issued our own facepiece.

A paint marker worked well on mine. Haven't had to redo it yet (~4 years).
    well there is actually a good reason for it. some of the parts are different but jsut barely. but just barely enough so you can't click in the regulator. The retaining ring (or whatever it's called) is slightly different from old to new. You can't even tell the size difference from looking at it, you have to hold them together to tell. I'm just trying to make life easier for myself and the other interior men. It sucks to be standing at the door ready to go and your regulator won't go on.

MembersZone Subscriber

The retainer ring on the new ones are red and the old ones are black... or visa versa, I'd have to look at them again, we went through the same issue with our survive airs. After a fire when the masks were cleaned they were seperated and the old masks were put back on the old packs. One advantage we had though was the new packs were on the ladder and the old packs were on the engine and rescue. We even still had a couple sigmas floating around on the tanker and brush truck, with the blue spaceman masks. If you do mark them a pen marker should work.
    I live to train so you can train to live.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NorthendTruckin View Post
    The retainer ring on the new ones are red and the old ones are black... or visa versa, I'd have to look at them again, we went through the same issue with our survive airs. After a fire when the masks were cleaned they were seperated and the old masks were put back on the old packs. One advantage we had though was the new packs were on the ladder and the old packs were on the engine and rescue. We even still had a couple sigmas floating around on the tanker and brush truck, with the blue spaceman masks. If you do mark them a pen marker should work.
    see ours are all black. It's a real pain.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ahh, have ya'll considered electrical tape across the top of the facepiece? A few of the departments in our area who use personal masks use the label makers and put everyones names across the top. You could label them as OLD and NEW.
    I live to train so you can train to live.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NorthendTruckin View Post
    Ahh, have ya'll considered electrical tape across the top of the facepiece? A few of the departments in our area who use personal masks use the label makers and put everyones names across the top. You could label them as OLD and NEW.
    I thought about the label maker. Dunno, just seems like they'd come off when it got hot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
    well there is actually a good reason for it. some of the parts are different but jsut barely. but just barely enough so you can't click in the regulator. The retaining ring (or whatever it's called) is slightly different from old to new. You can't even tell the size difference from looking at it, you have to hold them together to tell. I'm just trying to make life easier for myself and the other interior men. It sucks to be standing at the door ready to go and your regulator won't go on.
    Yeah, I know about the "difference" and understand the need for the masks to be marked if they are that similiar looking. I'm just trying to understand the need to mark the individual parts themselves?

Wouldn't just not mixing the old and the new masks together if you are doing any disassembly be enough? I know, easier said than done right?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Wouldn't just not mixing the old and the new masks together if you are doing any disassembly be enough? I know, easier said than done right?
    something about a nail and hitting it on the head comes to mind. As long as it's me who does the masks, it's fine. Sometimes I have to give it to others to do if I don't have time to stick around. This is usually when the fecal matter hits the osculating atmosphere displacing unit.

Thread Information