MembersZone Subscriber

Default Winter drill ideas?????

Seems like every time we have a drill scheduled this winter we get either a deep freeze or a ton of snow. We can only watch so many videos and preplan so many incidents. So I'm asking for some new ideas about what types of drills we can due to keep both the our veterans and our rookies interested.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 87squishy View Post
    Seems like every time we have a drill scheduled this winter we get either a deep freeze or a ton of snow. We can only watch so many videos and preplan so many incidents. So I'm asking for some new ideas about what types of drills we can due to keep both the our veterans and our rookies interested.
    Last month, we did RIT and SCBA's. Did a mock search and evac in our community center.

Forum Member

Good time to do SCBA fit test, confined space search and rescue in buildings.

Forum Member

Post Drills

Here is a list of some drills that can be downloaded and viewed. Some of these drills sound like what you have been doing and some also seem like they wouldn't work to well in the cold, but they are at least some ideas and a place to start.

http://firefighterclosecalls.com/weeklydrills.php

Forum Member

If it is freezing rain or active heavy snow I can see not going out to play due to the high likelihood of calls. But if you have just snow or cold and you really need to drill, do whatever drill you wanted. Fires, MVA's or any other call do not schedule around the weather.... why do you?

Playing with water in -10 degree weather is different than 20's and different than 40's..... you have to learn to adapt and overcome....

Obviously do not commit your entire fleet for the drill in the cold but you probably don't do that in 70 degree weather either.

Forum Member

Training

Ice Rescue
    EMS Refreshers
    Drug Labs

Cleaning

Hall Orginization
    Old Records

MembersZone Subscriber

Do the same drills you would do when it's warm out, the cold and snow only throw a monkey wrench into operations. Fires don't quit happening when it's cold out, why should we train any differently. Throwing a ladder can get a little tricky in 3 feet of snow...

Forum Member

Ladder throws....really fun in the snow!
    Drafting--cutting holes in the ice (as long as it thick enough!)
    Hose advances, again really fun in the snow.
    vehicle driving--find a big parking lot, practice stop and starts on snow/ice
    environmental emergencies
    tool familiarization--make a game out of it...(locating it on the truck)

Back In Black

We do all the mandatory drills in winter.
    • Bloodborne Pathogens
    • Right to Know
    • Haz-Mat Refresher
    • SCBA Proficiency
    • SCBA Maze/entanglement (we have some props like entanglement, etc)
    • FAST Refresher (classroom)
    • Fit-Testing

Other Ideas
    • Ice rescue (seems like a no brainer)
    • Strategy and Tactics (my favorite)
    • Apparatus refresher (I get tired of guys coming up to me at pump panel and asking, "where is so and so"... you should know!)
    • Incident Command review
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Default Why train different?

We usually schedule classes during the winter months. We stiil go out and do something. Usually ice rescue training. As posted above, the calls don't change when the weather is bad, why would you change your drill. The snow and the cold justs adds to the fun. I rather know if something won't work (including personal) when drilling than on a real call.

MembersZone Subscriber

As others have mentioned, just because there is snow on the ground, does not mean you can't go outside and do everything you normally would do in the summer. However, in extreme winter weather I can definatley understand staying in side. I would also like to point out that cleaning the station, washing trucks, fit testing, and going through old files does not count as training in my opinion. I like all of the other ideas mentioned above. In addition to those, walking through a few buildings in the community is very informative. You always learn something new, sometimes something very important!

Quote Originally Posted by Resq1scnd2none View Post
    Drafting--cutting holes in the ice (as long as it thick enough!)
    vehicle driving--find a big parking lot, practice stop and starts on snow/ice
    environmental emergencies
    I don't think we have ever done these. I am definatley going to suggest these, because they are great ideas thanks! The driving one could be interesting

Forum Member

Talking

You could always do hands on training in house during the winter months, not just watch videos and preplanning.

Forum Member

If it ain't rainiing we ain't training.
    If it ain't snowing we ain't going.

In all seriousness, we conduct a lot of the same drills in winter as we do in summer. The only time that we won't train outside is if the ambient temp is below 15 F or above 95 F.

Forum Member

We don't change anything in the winter. Train the same way all year around.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Thread Information