MembersZone Subscriber

Default garmins,gps, etc.

ok well i did a search! maybe i didnt use the correct words? any way, now that garmins and gps systems are everywhere and anyone can buy them is there a problem with using them via looking up the street in your territory? or another companys territory? yes i understand you should know your territory! but i see this as another advance in tools of the trade. i think they are very useful say u have to travel to another territory? and your not familar with that companys first due. just wondering? no im not trying to use one to get out of learning territory! just figured it could be used as another tool of the trade.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

i use a garmin c340. love it. it has my poi...as in boxes, hydrants, firehouse locations and phone numbers. i have no problems city-wide
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

I also have a Garmin 340C and I have found it to be extremely reliable and accurate. I noticed the other day that there is a setting when you are choosing what type of vehicle you are driving (car, truck, bus, etc) for emergency vehicle.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our district is a little small to require GPS for responses, but we do use Garmin Rhino 530's, with the two-way comms and tracking feature, for backcountry and wildland work.

Great for sending in a hasty team, and allowing the base camp to track thier progress. Also allows pretty accurate mapping of a wildfire perimeter.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I have an older (2yrs) Garmin 330 and it has been very reliable so far. Although streets around Arlington/Pentagon City areas and the District can be a bit messed up, but that may be due to "Official" interferrence....???? Gotta remember to wear your tin foil hat around those places.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Back In Black

When I was Chief i had one mounted in the Chief's car.

I did a lot of research and settled on the Garmin C530.

Works great, and it does have the setting for emergency vehicle which then calculates the route differently (allows left hand turns in places you usually can't).

One issue, we are part of a township, that has 3 different towns used for mailing addresses.

So, if I put in the Township Name it seemed to work out better.

Also, in those large cluster home developments, it really helped that it would tell you what side of the street the house was on (when it wasn't obvious).
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

My old department had Tom-Toms in the units. I found that the particular house numbers in my area could be way off. This resulted in Tom-Tom telling me to make a left turn when I knew the address was to the right. I found the old map books more useful than the Tom-Toms. If the maps were up to date, it might be OK, but I would not trust them.

My current department has Garmins. I have not used them enough to evaluate them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tailboardrider View Post
    ok well i did a search! maybe i didnt use the correct words? any way, now that garmins and gps systems are everywhere and anyone can buy them is there a problem with using them via looking up the street in your territory? or another companys territory? yes i understand you should know your territory! but i see this as another advance in tools of the trade. i think they are very useful say u have to travel to another territory? and your not familar with that companys first due. just wondering? no im not trying to use one to get out of learning territory! just figured it could be used as another tool of the trade.
    I have a Garmin Nuvi 680. It is great.

Used it many a time already on errands to unfamiliar places. Saved me alot of headaches and lost time.

And the bluetooth...lets just say I'm a little old fashioned when it comes to adopting new technology...I was one of the last people I knew to get a cell phone...But this Bluetooth with my phone is outstanding...no need to pull my phone out when driving...it is all infront of me. speaker phone and all...phone book...last called...etc.

Although I'm disapointed that my wife didn't wait longer as they came out with an 800 series that has voice commands and looking at their website now...they will be releasing a navigation device intergrated with a phone called the Nuvifone (1)

Nuvifone video...I might give her my Nuvi 680 and get the phone.

That being said...it has its limitations...it like all GPS devices uses certain algorithms to determine the route (you can choose shortest distance and shortest time) and due to small idiosyncracies that you know but it doesn't...routes that you are familiar with will often be much better by a minute or two. Things like rail tracks...streets with low speedlimits but that everyone does twice the posted limit...poorly timed street lights, chronic traffic back ups...etc.

I did a lot of research before telling my wife which ones I would prefer...Garmin from what I read...had the best maps and best customer service along with excellent performance.

A few guys I work with who are avid outdoorsmen are awaiting a new handheld gps for hiking in the wilderness...topo maps and the such...I don't know much about it...but they won't go hunting,hiking or climbing without one....this might be something good for you guys with wildland fires and large rural areas.

FTM-PTB

PS-I've heard that some of our higher ranking chiefs use Street pilots in the firehouse with all the cities boxes programed...so finding any fire city wide is very very easy. Perhaps E40FDNYL35 would know. I'll bet he even downloaded the "fire truck" vehicle for the screen!

PPS- In California and Minnasota I think you can't place these on the windsheild and must use the friction mount...this also prevents the tell tale sign that you have one of these things (cup rings) and lessens the chance someone will break into your car looking for these things.
    Last edited by FFFRED; 02-06-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Forum Member

Garmin? GPS? My car has crank windows...
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    And what a gem she is!

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

My company purchased one for our Chief last year to try out since we do a lot of mutual aid. It was a great tool, so we purchased two more, one for our deputy and one for our first out engine.

I have not tried it, but does anyone know if undeclared roads (i.e. new housing developments) show up GPS units?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Safety33 View Post
    My company purchased one for our Chief last year to try out since we do a lot of mutual aid. It was a great tool, so we purchased two more, one for our deputy and one for our first out engine.

I have not tried it, but does anyone know if undeclared roads (i.e. new housing developments) show up GPS units?

Depends on how new the maps are.

Usually it is indicated on the box of the product you are buying.

Updates can be purchased periodically as needed. Obviously the digital mapping companies only survey any given area every so many years so a road built last month won't be in your GPS unit.

Just like the maps in the firehouse won't show it either...until they are updated.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I've got the Nuvi 360 and I'll echo what FFRED said about the Bluetooth, it's one of those luxury items you think you don't need and can't live without once you have it.

I've found that when entering POI's (if you're doing Boxes or hydrants) you need to check and see you accuracy. The accuracy can be different on different days due to weather and how many satellites the unit is reading at the time. My Nuvi can be incredibly accurate some days and not as sharp on others (though still well within usable parameters).

I'm think of putting the hydrants in my POI's and naming them with the gpm flows as our spacing and flows are all over the chart. Rather than search for them, when arriving onscene the map should show the nearest hydrants and their flows.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    I have a Garmin Nuvi 680. It is great.

PS-I've heard that some of our higher ranking chiefs use Street pilots in the firehouse with all the cities boxes programed...so finding any fire city wide is very very easy. Perhaps E40FDNYL35 would know. I'll bet he even downloaded the "fire truck" vehicle for the screen!

Fred it works great.... boxes, house phone #'s, red light camares. i will see if the Garmin Nuvi 680 can be programed. i'll pm you if can do.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

We are looking at putting GPS into the rigs.

I have a tom tom one that I use in the car when I am on duty. It's great for those moments of "cranial flatulence" and can't remeber where a street is..
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

i use the navigon and magellan.

Forum Member

GPS in 2 of our Chief's vehicles, GPS in 1st and 2nd due rig of each firehouse.

No, we don't use them in our area (other than for practice). We use them fairly heavily for mutual aid responses.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post

Is this your vacation with your family?

WARNING DO NOT OPEN WITH SENSITIVE EARS AROUND! FOUL LANGUAGE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQSwMCHJNU&NR=1
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

i use a tom tom in my pov only due to the fact as i am new to my response area and we cover alot along with mutual aid to other towns. and i have not had a problem once with it giving me wrong directions but i only use it when i am not at my home which is about a 3 min drive to my station so usually if at home i am second to the station and get on a truck
    Dino Brancato FF/EMT
    Sandy Hill Fire Rescue
    Pickering, Louisiana
    Home of the Fighting 7th

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Is this your vacation with your family?

WARNING DO NOT OPEN WITH SENSITIVE EARS AROUND! FOUL LANGUAGE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQSwMCHJNU&NR=1
    I'll bet it is more like this...

In the hood.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

We have Garmins in two units that routinely make mutual aid responses. We are also part of a regional hazmat response team and could very easily find ourselves far outside or normal mutual aid territory.

Another point to consider, particularly appropriate given the recent bad weather in the south - the normal landmarks most of us navigate by can disappear in a matter of minutes due to tornado, hurricane, earthquake, etc. GPS could make things quite a bit easier in those situations.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ullrichk View Post
    We have Garmins in two units that routinely make mutual aid responses. We are also part of a regional hazmat response team and could very easily find ourselves far outside or normal mutual aid territory.

Another point to consider, particularly appropriate given the recent bad weather in the south - the normal landmarks most of us navigate by can disappear in a matter of minutes due to tornado, hurricane, earthquake, etc. GPS could make things quite a bit easier in those situations.
    Speaking of landmarks, don't forget that the voice directions can help when you are driving so fast you have your eyes closed.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

I use a Tomtom One when I drive the ambulance. I usually don't use it when we are responding to our first in, but it comes in handy we we are going into other stations territories that I am not as familiar with. It is also very helpful for finding the quickest way to the hospital from less than familiar places, instead of driving all the way back to the nearest major road which might put us a few minutes out of the way.

When I'm not really using it, I still have it on so I can see roads I'm supposed to turn on before I have to turn, prevents the old hard brake and turn syndrome from running up on a turn too fast because you weren't expecting it.

Forum Member

FFFREED-

Thanks for your advice regarding the undeclared roads and updating the units.

Thread Information