Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Wildland Fires Application Online

Hey guys and gals, i'm new to this forum and tried a search for this but came up with nothing and i looked around online and came up with nothing as well. i know the western states may be accepting applications for seasonal help right now with fighting the wildland fires over the summer, i was wondering if anyone knows a website where i could locate this online application? any help would be great, thanks

Forum Member

Now's the perfect time to be looking for and applying for Federal fire positions...

www.usajobs.gov lists a lot of current openings. Do a series search for 0462 (Forestry Tech) and 0455 (Range Tech) at grade range GS-2 thru GS-4. That should spit back about 10 pages of current (mostly Temporary-season) openings with USFS, BLM, NPS, and USFWS.

www.avuedigital.com is the Forest Service's site for application for permanent and temporary (season) positions. It will generally contain more position information than the USAJobs posting will, and you will apply for all FS positions here (online app).

CDF has already stopped accepting apps for the upcoming fire season (Jan 31st was the final filing deadline), and besides--for most units, you have to apply in person at each unit you want to be considered for... not exactly an easy task for someone out-of-state.
    No such requirement with the Feds, but then again, CDF does pay a lot better.
    Course in order to stand a realistic chance with CDF, even for seasonal positions, you have to have your 67hr Wildland and structural CSFM (MUST be CA, no out-of-state certs accepted) FF1 taken care of first...something their recruiting flyers leave out.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

I hope this helps out, but if you plan on applying to mulitple federal jobs, type out and save one very nice and detailed version of your application. Leave the dates and job titles blank.

THEN, you can apply to all of the federal jobs you want without havingto re-type the entire application all over again. Just fill in the current job title and date.

This also applys to the state of California job application as well.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-19-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I hope this helps out, but if you plan on applying to mulitple federal jobs, type out and save one very nice and detailed version of your application. Leave the dates and job titles blank.

THEN, you can apply to all of the federal jobs you want without havingto re-type the entire application all over again. Just fill in the current job title and date.

This also applys to the state of California job application as well.
    BOU--both Avue and USAJobs you can save your basic resume in your profile as a sort of "template", then do the "tweak as necessary" thing if needed to make it a little more applicable if you're applying to different types of positions.
    But it's good advice for the CDF FF1 app and any "local muni" department apps...

Another word of advice for the potential applicant: get names, addresses, phone numbers, etc of all high schools and colleges attended, as well as every place you've ever lived or worked at (and at least one non-relative person that knew you at each job or residence), no matter how long. Also if you have any traffic cites, arrest record (even if dismissed/found not-guilty), etc, make sure to obtain all the info on those and have it ready, because you will need it all for the background checks.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Thread Information